Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

For those that knew Janice - ORD concierge

Old Aug 26, 2007, 8:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC 50K MM, HH DIA, GP DIA, SPG PLT, Delta Gold, Farimont Plat

I regret to share the news that Janice passed away at her home a few days ago.

I'll remember her from my many trips to and from ORD always having chocolate treats of some kind and going out of her way to help out and being very motherly.

She was a wonderful person and a tremendous asset to Air Canada.

She'll be missed terribly.

I've asked to be kept in the loop regarding details.

ckc
Old Aug 26, 2007, 8:33 pm

Programs: AC E50K MM * DL MM * HH Diamond * Marriott Lifetime Titanium * Queen's '92
This is a great loss to the AC concierge team and for those of us who had the pleasure of dealing with her on the way through ORD. RIP
Old Aug 26, 2007, 10:16 pm

Programs: UA-1K (3MM); AA-Gold (1MM); Marriott Lifetime Titanium
It is very sad to hear about Janice.

She has had some health problems over the years and I thought she was doing better.

When I was a SE she helped me many times. When I was a SE I had asked her if she could keep an eye out on my then 69 year old dad. I did not ask for a meet or greet but just if she could keep an eye out. Dad was flying back from SMF to YYZ in Y. Dad flew on the red-eye from SMF to ORD and then flying to YYZ on AC. Janice had met up with dad at the AC gate and gave him a small pastry for breakfast knowing he was on the red-eye and that AC gave no breakfast in Y.

Another time, back in 2001 I was flying to Asia in C class. This was when I was flying AC. I had flown to ORD on AC and then connecting on UA to NRT. Janice mentioned she had time before her next activity and so she and another concierge, who had already clocked out, walked me to my UA flight. They spoke to the UA gate agent and said they had a "VIP" and if he could board. The gate agent said yes and I boarded before F/C class on UA. The three of us were laughing from E1 to the C gates.

It is very sad to hear what has happened.

Rest in Peace.
Old Aug 27, 2007, 2:02 am

Programs: AC - ACMM; LH - SEN
This is really sad news. I too remember Janice and the chocolates that she brought to the gate all the time. I can't list all the little things that she did when I was flying into ORD on a regular basis (along with Paul and Angela). She will be missed!!
Old Aug 27, 2007, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Simon
This is a great loss to the AC concierge team and for those of us who had the pleasure of dealing with her on the way through ORD. RIP
Indeed a sad loss.My sympathies go to the family and AC concierge team.
Old Aug 27, 2007, 6:01 am

Programs: ACMM / Altitude S100K / HH Diamond
I too recall her pleasant demeanor and helpfulness... she will be missed. My sympathies to the family.
Old Aug 27, 2007, 8:46 am

Programs: SE 1MM, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
She was a very special person who helped me countless times.

She always remembered you by name, she always had a smile and she always had some wonderful chocolates that made you realize that it's the small gestures in life that matter.

My sympathies to the family.
Old Aug 27, 2007, 8:48 am

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM,*G,HH Diamond,SPG Gold,FairmontPlatinum
What a terrible loss of a Super LADY. She helped me many times and always did it with a smile and a chocolate. I will miss her.
Old Aug 27, 2007, 12:13 pm

I have never met this lady, nor heard of her before. I am glad that I've heard of her now. She seems like a lady with such a warm heart to us fellow travellers. I wish I had the chance to meet her. R.I.P.
Old Aug 27, 2007, 12:18 pm

Programs: AC, BW, National
The family

Is someone volunteering to pass these comments onto her family. I am sure they would appreciate hearing them, even though they know first hand how special she was.

Sounds like an angel has been called home. The travellers will miss her special touch. RIP

..... SC
Old Aug 27, 2007, 6:17 pm

Programs: ACMM 50K, UA Platinum
I write this through tears. I travelled through ORD almost every week and will be there tomorrow. It would take pages for me to describe all the special things Janice has done for me and my family. She seemed to be doing so well of late, and was looking forward to an upcoming concierge convention.

I do not know Janice's family, but I could arrange for these comments to be given to her fellow concierge colleagues Angela and/or Paul and I am sure they would pass them on.

Not only was Janice an angel, but she loved her job and her passengers, and treated everyone with respect and a smile - even if they were just a misdirected soul trying to find the United counter in the next terminal. She always called me her favourite Super Elite, but I bet there are many of us out there who carried the same moniker. She made everyone feel special. I'm so very glad that I have saved the numerous boarding passes that she decorated for me with colourful stickers. I think it made her sad that her passengers printed their own boarding passes so she didn't have the opportunity to do that as often.

I will miss you Janice. You were an angel on the ground and I'm sure you are still an angel wherever you are.

Rest in peace my dear, you gave out many, many smiles each day and I'm sending one to you now.
Old Aug 27, 2007, 6:48 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
Truly said news. I met Janice only once, but she was very kind. My flight in Y was canceled so she secured me a business class seat on the next flight. When I checked in and she saw that I was traveling with someone, she upgraded him as well and of there was a chocolate waiting for me at the gate. It made me want to travel through ORD more often. It's great to see someone who cared so much about her passengers and her job. She will be dearly missed.
Old Aug 27, 2007, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
I think she must have been the concierge who greeted me with a lolipop one evening at ORD. Sorry to read this news.
Old Aug 27, 2007, 8:23 pm

Programs: AC*SE, AA PLT, UA 2P
Janice exemplified customer service. She will be missed by all who knew her. :-:

Condolences to her family.
Old Aug 28, 2007, 6:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC 50K MM, HH DIA, GP DIA, SPG PLT, Delta Gold, Farimont Plat
Originally Posted by ShaneCulver
Is someone volunteering to pass these comments onto her family. I am sure they would appreciate hearing them, even though they know first hand how special she was.

Sounds like an angel has been called home. The travellers will miss her special touch. RIP

..... SC
I have the address for Janice's mother. I will assemble the various notes from this post and forward to her with a card.
If anyone would like her contact details to send a card directly, please PM me.
There are no service details as of yet to pass on.
ckc

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.