Wiki Posts
Search

OT - moving companies

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2007, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WS Platinum, former AC E35K
OT - moving companies

I recently moved some stuff home using a moving company, was told the total was about 600 dollars, which was fine with me. This number was the same when I asked for a quote as well as when I actually booked the company. Now that my stuff has arrived in Vancouver (not been delivered) they are telling me the bill is an additional 250 dollars, they say this is an area surcharge, an amount that I was never made aware of. I have an email invoice, as well as an actual invoice indicting the 600 dollar amount. Any suggestions as to what to do??

Had I known the total price would be 850, I never in a million years would have shipped any of this stuff. Obviously they dropped the ball and did not inform me of the 250 dollars until now, when I want my stuff, which I think is criminal, and I will be reporting them to the BBB. I could take them to small claims court, however I am leaving in 2 weeks for 3.5 months, and frankly just want my stuff now, but don't believe it is fair to pay the addtional 250. I was thinking I write them a check, and let it bounce, then let them come after me, as I don't want to have to go after them, but that could hurt my credit rating. Any other suggestions as to what to do to these crooks?

I called them back again, spoke to a manger who finally agreed to take 125 dollars off the bill, splitting the additional charge basically. I still feel I am being ripped off, but that was the best that I could do and I want my stuff now. Is it fair to take further action still? I am not satisfied with the outcome still.

Last edited by shore9; May 23, 2007 at 1:53 pm
Old May 23, 2007, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

By verbal agreeing to pay an additional 125 dollars, am I obligated to do so, or could I write two cheques, one for the correct amount, and the other for the 125, and put a stop payment on the 125 chq? I have no problem with them coming after me over 125, just wondering legally if I am now bound to pay that as well, despite the fact it is not in writing and that they admitted to me over the phone that it was human error.
Old May 23, 2007, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Make sure that you come to an understanding and have it in hard copy.

Think of the impact on your future credit rating.
Old May 23, 2007, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

he agreed to knock 125 off the price over the phone, obviously I won't pay more. But if I do pay the extra 125 and put a stop payment only on that, will it impact my credit rating? They can go after me fine, I have a copy of the contract, and it doesn't include this extra amount, so I think they will have a tough time getting it out of me.
Old May 23, 2007, 5:17 pm

Hate to say it but this stuff happens all the time with movers. There are lots of tv reports over the years talking about this sort of thing. Families agree to pay a mover X amount and then all of sudden jacks when it's time for the truck to drop off the family goods the cost has been jacked up to X++++ and goods puts it in storage until the ransom is paid otherwise no furniture, etc...

Based on the tv reports I've seen the police generally won't get involved as they consider it a civil matter (or something to that effect).

This is why whenever we have moved I use brand name companies that I have also checked with the BBB. This is one of those industries that I sadly don't trust to save my life.

As airbus320 said, get it in writing and don't give them the cheque until they give you your stuff this time.

Good luck, this really is one of those tough life lessons.
Old May 23, 2007, 5:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cattle
Hate to say it but this stuff happens all the time with movers. There are lots of tv reports over the years talking about this sort of thing. Families agree to pay a mover X amount and then all of sudden jacks when it's time for the truck to drop off the family goods the cost has been jacked up to X++++ and goods puts it in storage until the ransom is paid otherwise no furniture, etc...

Based on the tv reports I've seen the police generally won't get involved as they consider it a civil matter (or something to that effect).

This is why whenever we have moved I use brand name companies that I have also checked with the BBB. This is one of those industries that I sadly don't trust to save my life.

As airbus320 said, get it in writing and don't give them the cheque until they give you your stuff this time.

Good luck, this really is one of those tough life lessons.
yeah it is I guess. The guy I dealt with had no customer service intuation at all, that much was obvious. Quite a rude individual, I would have been embarrassed to call him my manager. The company is question is CanAmerican Van line, so if you are every considering using them, I would not use them to save my life.
Old May 23, 2007, 10:08 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Originally Posted by cattle
This is why whenever we have moved I use brand name companies ... This is one of those industries that I sadly don't trust to save my life.
My experience is that using brand name companies doesn't help. They still try to ransom your stuff. I have also observed that BBB reports don't faze them.

Trust no one !
Old May 24, 2007, 2:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sopwith
My experience is that using brand name companies doesn't help. They still try to ransom your stuff. I have also observed that BBB reports don't faze them.

Trust no one !
It is quite sad that the government has not stepped in, I have read thru so many complaints today, and I cannot believe nobody has done anything about it.
Old May 24, 2007, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shore9
.....I was thinking I write them a check, and let it bounce, then let them come after me, as I don't want to have to go after them, but that could hurt my credit ratingl.....
You went to university?

Tell me that you are getting Aeroplan points to keep this within the AC forum.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.