Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Need Suggestion ASAP ------------Travel Fraud (post for my friend)

Need Suggestion ASAP ------------Travel Fraud (post for my friend)

Old Apr 22, 07, 10:42 pm

Programs: AC Elite (waddya mean it's expired?), HHonours Gold, bunch of other stuff
I give up.
Old Apr 22, 07, 10:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by hoyoto View Post
We don't care about the TA's reputation. David just wants to leave on the original date with his friend. He puts that on the first priority. He will try to get money back after he returns. I will ask him to record the conversation when he goes to pay the money for the flight ticket on Tuesday for future evidence.
NO! Call the police now. Why does your friend think that if he gives them the additional money that he is going anywhere? Call the police NOW!
Old Apr 22, 07, 11:10 pm

Programs: Aeroplan; PriorityClub
The Viewtrip itinerary could have only been available if an actual booking had been made in the Galileo system of a particular agency.

The responsibility, in my opinion as a travel agent, is that the agency must bear responsibility. You must report this to both the police and to TICO [www.tico.on.ca], the organization in Ontario which in the end may end up either reimbursing the traveller or getting the agent to pay up and acknowledging the loss.

While the whole thing at Tim's is strange, and not a place to hand over payment as a receipt cannot be obtained, the familiarity of the client with Canadian business procedures may be lacking here, and again, ethically, the onus is on the agent. Act immediately. You must have all the ammunition that the law can offer you before you do anything else.
Old Apr 22, 07, 11:47 pm

Programs: A3 *G, Marriott Plat, AS 75K
it's very interesting to see how the OP responds to the suggestions given by fellow FTers...

call the police...!!!
Old Apr 22, 07, 11:54 pm

Programs: AC *P
Originally Posted by beepyou View Post
it's very interesting to see how the OP responds to the suggestions given by fellow FTers...

call the police...!!!
Could this actually be "Lydia" trying to see how things may resolve unfavourably towards her and the GM at the TA?

Hmm, let's see. Somehow, the flyer flagged down on another board that he was being "paged" by the TA to call them. How does the flyer know about this?

How is it that the OP knows of other people who got defrauded by Lydia?

I say - stop giving this guy (gal) advice NOW!

If Hoyoto is indeed one of Lydia or Timmie Ho GM, then you will be going to jail.
Old Apr 22, 07, 11:56 pm

Programs: AC Elite (waddya mean it's expired?), HHonours Gold, bunch of other stuff
Originally Posted by mudd_stuffin View Post
Could this actually be "Lydia" trying to see how things may resolve unfavourably towards her and the GM at the TA?
yes, I'm beginning to smell a rat. or perhaps a troll.
Old Apr 22, 07, 11:59 pm

Programs: AC *P
Originally Posted by AC110 View Post
yes, I'm beginning to smell a rat. or perhaps a troll.
Do the mods have access to the IP? Maybe Hoyoto's posts can be traced to CHina.
Old Apr 23, 07, 1:37 am
Suspended

Programs: some, * alliance, OW, ISIC,
actually the story told by the op is quite common.

I would suggest that the op, if telling a genuine case, to NOT pay the travel agent. I would suggest getting hold of the names of the victims, the airlines concerns and inform the airlines to withhold the ticket and if possible to ask the airline to make a concession and allow the ticket be sold directly thru their sales office especially if a few people were involved. Perhaps some of our travel agent Fters may advise if Air Canada does have a sales office operated by them not agent at the op's location. a airline tikceting fee may be involved but air canada may waive it if there is proof that a few people were involved.

Last edited by trekkie; Apr 23, 07 at 1:38 am Reason: shortening
Old Apr 23, 07, 2:36 am
Original Poster

Last edited by hoyoto; Oct 24, 09 at 7:00 pm
Old Apr 23, 07, 3:06 am
Original Poster

Old Apr 23, 07, 3:45 am
Original Poster

Old Apr 23, 07, 5:29 am
Formerly known as aep

Programs: Nothing special in many programs
Originally Posted by hoyoto View Post
Latest news.

John called my friend David and told him his gf Lydia in China can return 2200 CAD. David is arranging his friend in China to pick up the cash . If it's not fake bill , David can use that money to purchase the ticket again. At this point, should we still need to report to the police?
uh, yes. would you want others to go through this? why didn't you contact the police initially? this story doesn't add up right at all and keeps getting stranger.
Old Apr 23, 07, 5:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Wirelessly posted (HTC TyTN: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; PPC; 240x320) Opera 8.60 [en])

Just call the police. Anything else is a mistake so bad that I for one dont want to keep hearing about it. Im unsubscribing at this point. CALL THE POLICE NOW! Not in July, not next week, not in 10 minutes. NOW.

Last edited by GadgetFreak; Apr 23, 07 at 6:00 am
Old Apr 23, 07, 6:37 am

Programs: Free from the constraints of Loyalty programs.
It's pretty obvious that the OP is in this up to his/her neck. How many times have they been told to call the police and every time they come out with a new story. This stinks to high heaven and I am shocked that FT has not locked this thread and passed along any relevant info to police. Any BB worth there salt can access the IP of a poster. FT should be doing so and forwarding that info to the Toronto Fraud Squad.
Old Apr 23, 07, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thefareguru View Post
The Viewtrip itinerary could have only been available if an actual booking had been made in the Galileo system of a particular agency.

The responsibility, in my opinion as a travel agent, is that the agency must bear responsibility. You must report this to both the police and to TICO [www.tico.on.ca], the organization in Ontario which in the end may end up either reimbursing the traveller or getting the agent to pay up and acknowledging the loss.

While the whole thing at Tim's is strange, and not a place to hand over payment as a receipt cannot be obtained, the familiarity of the client with Canadian business procedures may be lacking here, and again, ethically, the onus is on the agent. Act immediately. You must have all the ammunition that the law can offer you before you do anything else.
Good advice from someone in the travel business.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: