FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Need Suggestion ASAP ------------Travel Fraud (post for my friend) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/685315-need-suggestion-asap-travel-fraud-post-my-friend.html)

Stranger Apr 22, 2007 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by YYZFlyboy (Post 7623337)
I see that the part of the ticket that indicates how the ticket was actually paid for is conspiciously missing from the image on the post. If I was a betting man (which I'm not) I would wager that the ticket was bought with some poor unsuspecting buggers stolen credit card number.

Not sure how/where you see the payment information missing. Rememe also that this was a TA-issued ticket. They have arrangements. I would say it was on the TA's account with AC.

I also would be surprised if this were a case of CC fraud. Because it's a TA-issued ticket, and the name of the employee is there.

If it were, two weeks would probably not be enough for this to have come back already, *and* the employee would not be introuble and there would have been no reason for her to disappear. And that would be very stupid on the employee's part.

(I have been on the other end of this. Got a ticket charged to a CC of mine. Complained and got it credited back. But I would think there would have been at least a month until the thing would have come back to the airline.)

mudd_stuffin Apr 22, 2007 8:19 pm

All this is too confusing. There are the OP, David, John, Lydia and the TA's general manager. I agree with Stranger - the TA sounds way too suspicious. If Lydia and the TA make a deal, would your friend know about this?

It appears that not many of us are lawyers (or if we are, we do not deal regularly with this type of issues). There are issues of fraud, employment law, agency law, contract law and criminal law.

Your "friend" should really seek legal advice on this debacle - pay $250 for someone's advice for an hour... but be prepared to see that $2,200 originally transferred (and any legal fees) go down the tubes.

mudd_stuffin Apr 22, 2007 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by Crampedin13A (Post 7623698)
I've always wondered about these TA's that offer really good fares to Asia. I think I'd rather take the marginal hit and stick to aircanada.com.

There was a time when the unpublished fares going on AC, for instance, to Asia were so much cheaper with the Asian TA's. It is much different now.

Nowadays, the average discount of going to a TA (an Asian one) for a fare to Asia is about $50-$100 per ticket. Before I purchase a ticket on AC, I will compare an A or L class on both Toureast and AC.com. Within the last two years, I have not seen a savings of more than $100 per ticket. However, I will go with Toureast, for example, to realize such savings because they are reputable. Whether to go with another agency will be debatable.

Look at what the OP's "friend" did here. This friend was so careless as to wire the money to a personal account (mistake #1). This friend probably has no clue of the small difference in fares (which should have been the case) if he had to go to a TA (mistake #2).

hoyoto Apr 22, 2007 8:33 pm

GadgetFreak Apr 22, 2007 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by Shareholder (Post 7623700)
Call the Metro Toronto Police Fraud Squad. That's how we deal with such matters in this country. Also, tomorrow contact the Travel Agencies of Ontario organization which all TAs must register with. The manager is being less than ingenuous about this situation, and he is as guilty as your friend for hiring such an employee. (BTW are TAs not supposed to be bonded?)

It should have been a red flag when she asked for cash, no matter what the rationalization is. This fare is only marginally better than what could have been purchased on the AC website at $1200 per person. So look at all the aggrivation and problems because you tried to save a few dollars!

Ding, ding ding. First correct answer.

AC110 Apr 22, 2007 8:43 pm

The manager and accountant met him in a Tim Hortons? Why not at the travel agency? It sounds to me like they're in on it, and if he pays again he'll most likely get suckered again.

One of the best tricks in the con artists bag is to find a way to sucker the victim into paying again.

For heaven's sake, call the police NOW!

GadgetFreak Apr 22, 2007 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by hoyoto (Post 7624046)
Thx guys, My friend David decided to pay 2200 CAD on Tuesday and collect everything that has been suggested in this thread. After he comes back on July 30th, He will report this to the Police and Travel Agencies of Ontario organization , try to get money back.

Because if David follow this suggestion now ----"If he continues to threaten to cancel the ticket, let him know that if he does that you'll take him to court for the amount of whatever replacement ticket you may have to buy. Probably much more than the $2200. "

Although He may win the case later, he cannot leave on the orginal date.

If anyone has other suggestions, please post it. thx ^

PS: the current fare for this trip is 2211 CAD / person before tax on Air Canada website.

NNOOOOOOOOO!!!!! Call the police immediately, not in months from now. Call them tomorrow morning if not tonight! Do not wait!

AC110 Apr 22, 2007 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak (Post 7624130)
NNOOOOOOOOO!!!!! Call the police immediately, not in months from now. Call them tomorrow morning if not tonight! Do not wait!

This is too painful to watch. I've just sent a message to the Toronto Police Fraud Squad with a link to this thread.

GadgetFreak Apr 22, 2007 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by AC110 (Post 7624142)
This is too painful to watch. I've just sent a message to the Toronto Police Fraud Squad with a link to this thread.

Thank you ^

AC110 Apr 22, 2007 9:01 pm

I just read the OP again.

So he finds a message in a forum, saying "I'm the TA manager, call me at this #" then the guy says meet me at Timmies, then he says you have to pay again by Tuesday. Wanna bet the # given is not the same as the travel agency?
What kind of travel agency contacts its customers through forum postings?

hoyoto Apr 22, 2007 9:12 pm

mudd_stuffin Apr 22, 2007 9:16 pm

First of all, is this news not already spread out by this thread (and by copying the police)?

Second of all, why are you (and your "friend") at all concerned about this TA's "wonderful" reputation after what you have been through?

If the reputation is so golden, you guys should use that in your negotiation tactics at Timmie Ho.

AC110 Apr 22, 2007 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by hoyoto (Post 7624258)
The cell phone number there is the personal cell number of the general manager. They also want to cover this thing coz if such news is spread out, there's gonna be huge negative influences on this Famous Asian Travel Agent's reputation. They might be shut down by authorities.

Hoyoto, a number of people in this forum are trying hard to help you. You have to start listening. Call the police now, tonight! If you can't get through tonight, call first thing in the morning.

http://www.torontopolice.on.ca/fraud/
Fraud Squad
40 College St., Toronto, ON , M5G 2J3
Phone: 416-808-7300
Fax: 416-808-7302
Unit Commander: Staff Inspector Stephen Harris

hoyoto Apr 22, 2007 9:38 pm

youreadyfreddie Apr 22, 2007 9:42 pm

Your friend needs to get the local authorities involved in this NOW and should pick up the phone and call them NOW. Best of luck.