Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Upgrading companion in different fare class?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2007, 8:53 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club

Hey all,

I'm going to be flying YUL-KIX, and I'm booked in V class, which I plan to upgrade using a SSWU. I have an extra SWU sitting around that I plan to upgrade someone if they msg me before my flight (it's in FlightConnect if anyone's flying that route in May) and who's flying the same itinerary. Suppose the person has a different class (but one that is eligible for a SWU upgrade, for instance, H), I'm allowed to upgrade them even though their fare class is different from mine (more expensive fare, in this case) / the cert I'm using for them is different from mine, right?

Don't want to look silly if I'm playing a good samaritan.
Old Mar 2, 2007, 9:17 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

That won't be a problem.

As long as your companion has a qualifying fare and you have a qualifying cert, then it's good. (You can even be sitting Y on a non upgradeable fare but you can still upgrade someone else)
Old Mar 17, 2007, 11:40 am

Programs: AP-Elite
OK, this is an even more elementary question.

I am an Elite and if I fly YYZ-LHR in U class, and use an SWU upgrade certificate to get me in the front cabin, can I also get my colleague who is travelling with me upgraded too? Do I need to use another certificate for my travelling companion?

thanks
jambone
Old Mar 17, 2007, 11:47 am

Programs: AC LT E50K; AC*MM; SPG LT Gold
You can upgrade a companion, but you'll need another cert that is valid for the your companion's booking class.
Old Mar 17, 2007, 2:11 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Elite BA Blue
It is also worth remembering that if you are on separate PNR's then the upgrader (status holder perhaps) will get the appropriate position on upgrade priority list and the upgradee will be prioritised upon their own status (i.e none!) etc and may well end up at the bottom of the list.
Old Mar 17, 2007, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by drwoodsy
It is also worth remembering that if you are on separate PNR's then the upgrader (status holder perhaps) will get the appropriate position on upgrade priority list and the upgradee will be prioritised upon their own status (i.e none!) etc and may well end up at the bottom of the list.
If both on the same PNR and there is only 1 J seat left available for upgrade [assuming the upgrader is next in line for the upgrade], then would the "rules" say, skip the upgrader and go on to the next single person eligible for upgrade? Or would upgrader still be eligible and the companion is out of luck?

I thought there was a thread on this a while back but cannot locate.
Old Mar 17, 2007, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by doesun
If both on the same PNR and there is only 1 J seat left available for upgrade [assuming the upgrader is next in line for the upgrade], then would the "rules" say, skip the upgrader and go on to the next single person eligible for upgrade? Or would upgrader still be eligible and the companion is out of luck?

Not sure if we are talking about the same issue, but here is a recent experience of ours. My wife and I are on the same PNR. At the seven days window there is one I seat available. So I phone and I ask for an upgrade for my wife, who has no status. They do as I ask; it entailed splitting the PNR.

I only got my upgrade at the gate. Not that it matters but this was with SSWUs, on Q or L fares.
Old Mar 18, 2007, 9:03 pm

Programs: AC down to Orange lol, Marriott Silver?
I upgraded myself with a NA last Thursday YOW-YYZ-LAS (Sun Pass) and waited till early Sat morning to call and try to upgrade a colleague. They only had YYZ-LAS available and required a SSWu since it is an Q class and YOW-YYZ was out of luck since it has only 9J.
Old Mar 19, 2007, 3:51 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, UA 1K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz PC

Exactly this happened last year to me (AC*SE) and my wife (AC*A) when we were travelling FRA-YYZ on the same PNR in booking class H. We were on top of the upgrade list and but they had only 1 seat available in J. They did not skip us on the list but the gate agent handed me a BP for that seat in J leaving my wife in Y, which I declined in favour of a peaceful honeymoon
Old Mar 19, 2007, 4:47 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

On the day of departure, being on the same PNR with a travel companion won't stop you from getting an upgrade if there's only 1 seat left and you're next on the list to be cleared.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by drwoodsy
My understanding is that being on the same PNR has no impact - it goes purely by status (change made in early 2006 IIRC). In other words, even if your status-challenged companion is on your PNR, all other upgrading passengers with higher status will be upgraded before your companion.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 11:13 am

Programs: AP-Elite
My apologies, I don't know what PNR is.

Apart from that I think I understand. Obviously I won't be able to reserve an upgrade for my colleague. Not surprising, quite understandable in fact.

JD
Old Mar 22, 2007, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by jambone
Obviously I won't be able to reserve an upgrade for my colleague. Not surprising, quite understandable in fact.

JD
If I=1 when you call in at the 7/4/2 window then you can upgrade your colleague. If I>1 you can upgrade yourself and your colleague.

It can actually make sense to upgrade your colleague and then play Aerolotto for your own seat since your status puts you higher up on the pecking order than your colleague would be (of course I'd only do this with a clear understanding from my colleague that if my upgrade didn't go through I'd get his seat )
Old May 7, 2007, 6:21 pm

A slight change in facts;

I'm on YYZ-HKG-YYZ and my companion is on LGA-YYZ-HKG-YYZ-LGA [We're both on the same YYZ-HKG-YYZ segments and different PNRs; TA says can't be on same PNR cuz we're not starting from same city].

Companion is AP Basic. Question is whether I can use my SSWU to upgrade my companion on the LGA-YYZ segment if I'm not on that segment [assuming I availability]. If we win aerolotto on the HKG-YYZ segment, does companion get upgraded all the way to LGA?

As an aside, the total cost for my companion's ticket was only C$50 more than mine [i'm in L class and companion is in Q class]
Old May 7, 2007, 6:49 pm

Programs: AC 75K
A slight change in facts;

I'm on YYZ-HKG-YYZ and my companion is on LGA-YYZ-HKG-YYZ-LGA [We're both on the same YYZ-HKG-YYZ segments and different PNRs; TA says can't be on same PNR cuz we're not starting from same city].

Companion is AP Basic. Question is whether I can use my SSWU to upgrade my companion on the LGA-YYZ segment if I'm not on that segment [assuming I availability]. If we win aerolotto on the HKG-YYZ segment, does companion get upgraded all the way to LGA?

As an aside, the total cost for my companion's ticket was only C$50 more than mine [i'm in L class and companion is in Q class]
In order to upgrade a companion you must be on the same flight. So you'll only be able to upgrade your companion on the YYZ-HKG-YYZ segments.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.