Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

OT: What booking service does TD Travel Rewards use?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2007, 11:41 pm
Original Poster

The TD Travel Rewards web site requires a log in to enter.
http://www.tdtravelrewards.com/

I am curious about how much the TD Travel Rewards points (that you get from some of their VISA cards) are worth in practical terms through their booking agency, but there's apparently no way to tell this without actually getting a card.

Does anyone know anything about this?
Old Jan 19, 2007, 7:31 am

Programs: UA, BA
Originally Posted by WillTravel
The TD Travel Rewards web site requires a log in to enter.
http://www.tdtravelrewards.com/

I am curious about how much the TD Travel Rewards points (that you get from some of their VISA cards) are worth in practical terms through their booking agency, but there's apparently no way to tell this without actually getting a card.

Does anyone know anything about this?
1$ spent on card = 1 point.
1$ spent on card on travel booking through TD = 5 points

5000 points = 75$ off next travel booking made though TD

So, if you make a travel reservation through them for 1000$ you get 75$ off your next booking etc.

At least, that's how I understand it.

They can usually see the same fares as the AC website except the T- fares.
Old Jan 19, 2007, 7:55 am

Programs: AC E SPG Gold
In my experience they're worth exactly what they say they're worth - 15 bucks per thousand spent. They use their own TD Travel Rewards booking servce. I've booked many flights with them, get exactly the AC.com price, no booking fees, not had anything to complain about. As always some agents have been more capable and knowledgeable than others. They always ask if I want to use my points on any given booking, always (and not in an offensive hard-sell manner) ask if I want car/hotel/insurance, have called in upgrade requests at time of booking where relevant.
Now I come to think about it, there are a couple of quibbles - their system doesn't seem to have the facility to save your profile/preferences, so each booking we have to specify my full name for ticketing (I use my "middle" name only on the card and for general purposes, so have to bring out my unused "first" name for the ticket, and have to give them my Aeroplan number every time.) Also, I gave up on the online self-booking system when it couldn't seem to accept my Aeroplan number - might have been user incompetence, but was pretty frustrating.
All in all I reckon it's an OK but not great alternative to my just-cancelled Amex platinum - couldn't see the point in accumulating heaps of Aeroplan miles that were becoming increasingly difficult to use for intercontinental business class, unless you're willing to pay the extortionate rates required under the new availability scam. I'll be making my first use of the points/dollars soon, for 2 Latitude + tickets to LHR midsummer, exact dates/flights I want upgraded at time of booking via SWUs, looking forward to the 77Ws.
Old Jan 19, 2007, 9:58 am

Programs: Various airline, hotel and credit card programs
Originally Posted by Bin707
In my experience they're worth exactly what they say they're worth - 15 bucks per thousand spent. They use their own TD Travel Rewards booking servce. I've booked many flights with them, get exactly the AC.com price, no booking fees, not had anything to complain about. As always some agents have been more capable and knowledgeable than others. They always ask if I want to use my points on any given booking, always (and not in an offensive hard-sell manner) ask if I want car/hotel/insurance, have called in upgrade requests at time of booking where relevant.
Now I come to think about it, there are a couple of quibbles - their system doesn't seem to have the facility to save your profile/preferences, so each booking we have to specify my full name for ticketing (I use my "middle" name only on the card and for general purposes, so have to bring out my unused "first" name for the ticket, and have to give them my Aeroplan number every time.) Also, I gave up on the online self-booking system when it couldn't seem to accept my Aeroplan number - might have been user incompetence, but was pretty frustrating.
All in all I reckon it's an OK but not great alternative to my just-cancelled Amex platinum - couldn't see the point in accumulating heaps of Aeroplan miles that were becoming increasingly difficult to use for intercontinental business class, unless you're willing to pay the extortionate rates required under the new availability scam. I'll be making my first use of the points/dollars soon, for 2 Latitude + tickets to LHR midsummer, exact dates/flights I want upgraded at time of booking via SWUs, looking forward to the 77Ws.
I have very similar experience with Maritz = travel services supplier of Scotia Gold (now Passport). $1 spent = 1 Scotia point, certain partner award up to 10x points but there are just a few of them. 5,000 points = $50 off when booking through them, plus 5% off the cash portion paid before taxes and fees. Not a bad deal overall. However, you need to know what you want to maximzie the saving, some agents are more capable than others, and they are not always available. As we know, time is often of essence.
Old Jan 19, 2007, 9:59 am
Original Poster

How about for hotels - what booking service and prices do they use for that? Thanks for the info so far.
Old Jan 19, 2007, 10:57 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Delta, Starwood, Fairmount
In my humble opinion there is no better bargain that using Aeroplan points for J travel or F travel.

To me booking even a year ahead to get the J or F flights I want is an inconvenence I can live with..
Old Jan 19, 2007, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by WillTravel
How about for hotels - what booking service and prices do they use for that? Thanks for the info so far.
I booked a hotel through TD Travel Rewards Center this past summer (Holiday Inn) and they had all the same rates as the main IC site. Since you don't have to pay up front they remove the points and when they see you bill the hotel to your card they give you a credit for the dollar value of the points for the stay. For me the stay was more then the $300 credit I used so the extra $ above that earned the 5 points/$ spent since the hotel was booked through them
Old Jan 19, 2007, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Yukonprince
In my humble opinion there is no better bargain that using Aeroplan points for J travel or F travel.

To me booking even a year ahead to get the J or F flights I want is an inconvenence I can live with..
I agree 100%

I have made 11 long haul trips in J using my Aeroplan miles. I agree that being retired gives one flexibililty to plan ahead.

I now await my next trip in J to CPT courtesy of my miles.

I don't know the exact dollar value of these trips but ballpark figures place the amount north of $70K.
Old Jan 19, 2007, 1:42 pm

That does depend. For those of us that travel with families AC's ridiculous 2D seats per flight policy makes them not so useful. Particularly when ClassicPlus J seats at 395,000 points per seat for most international destinations are the most expensive of any N American airline (and probably of any airline anywhere). Compare that to the major US airlines that offer unlimited J reward seats to all at around 200% regular miles. For those with families this can be a much better bargain that AC.

Re TD Travel the advantage of the program is the complete flexibility - the points are effectively cash at a fixed rate - and can be spent on trains, hotels, cars etc.

Different programs have their advantages / disadvantages depending on your travel patterns and should be used as such.
Old Jan 19, 2007, 3:40 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Delta, Starwood, Fairmount
Originally Posted by Tractor Boy
That does depend. For those of us that travel with families AC's ridiculous 2D seats per flight policy makes them not so useful.
I think some flights have more than 2d seats. My sister in law, husband and two kids flew YUL - SFO - YUL just after Xmas 2005 - December 27 I think - and all four were on reward tickets in Business. This trip was booked on Labour day in September.

In July 2005 my wife and I and a friend all flew to Whitehorse also in Business together. This trip was booked about eight months earlier.

So yes, I think you are right but there are exceptions.

Still 25,000TD points would be worth 5 x $75 = $375 towards a ticket - still not that great.
Old Jan 19, 2007, 5:46 pm

I think some flights have more than 2d seats.
Unfortunately virtually all (I'd guess 99%) of AC flights only have the 2D seats - go ahead and search on the website. The exception is for SEs - who still have access to unlimited D class seats as long as they are on the PNR - still a great benefit despite the recent restriction.

D class seats on AC (when you can get them) are great. For a family of 4 or more, however, D class seats are usually a lot more affordable with NW, AA, UA, CO etc than AC. AC's ClassicPlus program just isn't competitive with the other major N. American airlines for the front cabin.
Old Jan 20, 2007, 9:54 am

"Now you see it....now you don't"

Originally Posted by Tractor Boy
Unfortunately virtually all (I'd guess 99%) of AC flights only have the 2D seats - go ahead and search on the website. The exception is for SEs - who still have access to unlimited D class seats as long as they are on the PNR - still a great benefit despite the recent restriction.

D class seats on AC (when you can get them) are great. For a family of 4 or more, however, D class seats are usually a lot more affordable with NW, AA, UA, CO etc than AC. AC's ClassicPlus program just isn't competitive with the other major N. American airlines for the front cabin.
The problem, very well known and constantly commented upon, is that you ( you being just a normal unconnected average infrequent flyer) can never get a J seat let alone 2. Go ahead and try to book J seats just seconds after the virtual aeroplan ticket wicket opens. What is it?......356 days before travel? " Sorry, all gone, no more. Please change your plans and try again. And again." Just another cruel joke and false hope played on the naive believers of AC advertising.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.