Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

flying tango after reaching elite or prestige

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2007, 8:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: AP elite; aa; USair; Delta; NWA

This year starting in November, I started booking tango fares instead of tango plus, and even took the option of no AP points for $3 less on short haul, after I reached the required number of miles for elite, since extra status miles were of no use, and there was no way I was ever going to get super elite. The same argument would apply after reaching prestige when there is no way one would fly enough additional flights to make elite. In terms of seat selection, I did not pay extra for seats but got quite decent seats through web check in, but would still have saved money, had I paid the extra $15 for advanced seating.
Did anyone else do this? Is there any reason why one would pay for Tango plus when one no longer needs the status miles?
Old Jan 5, 2007, 8:28 am

Programs: AC MM
Originally Posted by auerbal
Is there any reason why one would pay for Tango plus when one no longer needs the status miles?
To upgrade perhaps? Or to reach a threshold to earn certs. Unlike some here I find SWU's very valuable and have used everyone I earned last year.
Old Jan 5, 2007, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by auerbal
Did anyone else do this? Is there any reason why one would pay for Tango plus when one no longer needs the status miles?
You are not alone in doing this. AE/AC have actually looked at this. However, in the big picture planes are still full and the number of status members increasing so it is not considered a significant immediate issue.
Old Jan 5, 2007, 9:04 am

Programs: Super Elite 100K
here here

I agree with Winger...I like the miles and I too use every cert I get my hands on. Plus, you never know when being a bit higher on the paid food chain will help out in the event of a cancellation, equipment change, etc..
Old Jan 5, 2007, 9:38 am

After easily using over 1 million miles in 10 years I understand many here's desire for the miles I'm at 24,956 miles right now and while I go back down to basic after Feb 28 so this is not an apples to apples comparison. One more Holiday Inn stay and I have all the miles I need for one ticket booked in advance ^

I have been buying only Tango fares since August of last year. The changes in my job have allowed me break the FF addiction and stop collecting AE miles. I do choose seats for $15 as I hate being stuck in a middle seat but I will likely offset that ever so slightly buy also saving $3 each way by not collecting AE miles any longer since I don't need them.
Old Jan 6, 2007, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
To each their own.

If one knows that they will not be reaching any thresholds or have no plans to upgrade or have no plans to do many long hauls, then perhaps paying for Tango after reaching your desired goal suffices.

One year after I hit the 120K threshold I decided to just pay for Tango flights where possible.

Another year after I hit the 100K threshold I decided that I still had lots of time left (and resources) to exceed the 150K threshold, so I continued to purchase T+ and Latitude fares.

Different scenario, different time.
Old Jan 6, 2007, 6:15 am

Programs: AC down to Orange lol, Marriott Silver?
If I was in your shoes, I would buy Tango too if I know my plans are absolutely firm. The only advantage I see with T+ versus T is that T change fee is prohibitive at $150.
Old Jan 6, 2007, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Snoopyo
If I was in your shoes, I would buy Tango too if I know my plans are absolutely firm. The only advantage I see with T+ versus T is that T change fee is prohibitive at $150.
At the airport
Old Jan 6, 2007, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
I can't see any benefit to the cost-savings between T and T+ in this situation. Once you've paid for a seat reservation, you're talking $5 each way...les than $10 if you forfeit miles altogether. Even if you cross the P or E requalification, the mileage multiplication or other bonuses (even SWUs) can be worth accumulation through full status miles. Any company that quibbles about this is probably not worth working for...even given the tale of breaking the habit posted by our Calgary friend.
Old Jan 6, 2007, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Shareholder
I can't see any benefit to the cost-savings between T and T+ in this situation. Once you've paid for a seat reservation, you're talking $5 each way...les than $10 if you forfeit miles altogether. Even if you cross the P or E requalification, the mileage multiplication or other bonuses (even SWUs) can be worth accumulation through full status miles. Any company that quibbles about this is probably not worth working for...even given the tale of breaking the habit posted by our Calgary friend.
Most employers aren't aware of the downfalls with Tango. They just see "lowest price point" and take it.

Many of our projects at my past employer had to argue for Latitude Passes but in the end the managers came to their senses and realized that given our volatile schedules and client needs that one change to a Tango flight would in the end cost more than a T+ or Latitude booking (change fee + change in fare). I would like to take credit for some of the "understanding" that my former colleagues have attained

Having said that though, there are times where the difference in T and T+ is noticeable.
Old Jan 6, 2007, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by yyznomad
At the airport
At the airport only works for the same day. If you need to leave a day earlier or a day later, AC ding you for the $150 plus diff in fare...
Old Jan 7, 2007, 2:38 pm

Programs: S.E, Preferred Select, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by Snoopyo
Point here is that I don't know of any other airline that charges a premium to be part of their loyalty program. When I don't travel for business I always book Tango fares. I'm a SE and find the idea of paying a premium to earn FF miles absurd. One other thing that I find absurd is that when I use my miles to reward myself with a free ticket (free + taxes) I can't upgrade with my useless certs that AC has supplied me with that are only good Latitude fares, which are of little use to someone with a firm schedule.
Old Jan 7, 2007, 2:57 pm

Programs: Programs? I don't need no stinking programs
Originally Posted by 1st Class Gekko
Point here is that I don't know of any other airline that charges a premium to be part of their loyalty program.
By which you apparently mean that pax have to pay more than the lowest fare in order to earn full status miles. I take it you've never heard of British Airways, or Lufthansa, or American Airlines, or...
Old Jan 7, 2007, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by 1st Class Gekko
Point here is that I don't know of any other airline that charges a premium to be part of their loyalty program. When I don't travel for business I always book Tango fares. I'm a SE and find the idea of paying a premium to earn FF miles absurd. One other thing that I find absurd is that when I use my miles to reward myself with a free ticket (free + taxes) I can't upgrade with my useless certs that AC has supplied me with that are only good Latitude fares, which are of little use to someone with a firm schedule.
Lots of airlines charge to join their FFP (e.g. NZ) and have fares that do not accrue miles (e.g. BA, I think).
Old Jan 7, 2007, 3:19 pm

When I was working in NZ 2 years ago, NZ's lowest fares do not get any status or other miles so the business for my leisure trips to NZ and OZ went to QF which offer at least 50% on the low fares. BA do not offer FF miles for US-UK flights and Cathy do not offer miles on discounted economy...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.