Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

New Exec. First seats - timing? routes?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2006, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P

I'm using Star Alliance miles for a business class trip to South America in mid-March - UAL going there, and Air Canada on my return from Sao Paulo (nonstop to YYZ). I haven't been able to find any details on timing of the rollout and priority routes for the new executive first seats. Anyone know if this flight will have the new seats by then? Or know how I can find out? Thanks!
Old Nov 28, 2006, 11:59 am

Programs: AC*E, Alaska MVP Gold, FPC Premier, SPG Gold
You've not found anything because all we have here on this topic is speculation.

I'd speculate that we may have up to 4 763s refurbed by then, but I wouldn't count on them being put on that route. If I were AC, I'd put them on routes that I had the most revenue potential and competition on.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 12:00 pm

Programs: AC*E, Alaska MVP Gold, FPC Premier, SPG Gold
Oh, and welcome to Flyertalk!
Old Nov 28, 2006, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P
Thanks, ogmios. Yes, I'm not hopeful that the seats will be upgraded in time for this particular flight. The Star Alliance options between North America and Brazil are quite limited. Varig is no more, leaving just UAL and AC, and UAL's international business class isn't really all that enticing. From what I've heard, AC's current executive first isn't any better.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 3:17 pm

Programs: SPG - Platinum, Hertz - 5 Star
Originally Posted by greggoak2
Thanks, ogmios. Yes, I'm not hopeful that the seats will be upgraded in time for this particular flight. The Star Alliance options between North America and Brazil are quite limited. Varig is no more, leaving just UAL and AC, and UAL's international business class isn't really all that enticing. From what I've heard, AC's current executive first isn't any better.
Given the choice, I'd still go with AC on the longhaul. There is slightly more seat pitch on AC and the possibility of scoring a single seat in 1x2x2 cabin. On UA the pitch is ~55" as opposed to 60" and the seats are 2x2x2 on the 763's they use to GRU. Also, it may be a matter of personal taste, but I find the cloth upholstery on the AC 763 breathes better and is less slippery than the leather like stuff on the UA seats.

DF
Old Nov 28, 2006, 7:40 pm

Welcome to FT

During the winter AC uses A343 aircraft (B763 during summer) to GRU. So you will not enjoy the new seats or cabins as those aircraft are not being refurbished/refitted.

Varig never serviced Canada, it always code shared with Air Canada... so it's "demise" does not really change anything in Canada.

Make sure you use the UA lounge in GRU NOT Varig (if it's even still open) Worst Star Alliance partner lounge
Old Nov 29, 2006, 6:41 am

Programs: A3 G, SPG, Fairmount
Originally Posted by imverge
Welcome to FT

During the winter AC uses A343 aircraft (B763 during summer) to GRU. So you will not enjoy the new seats or cabins as those aircraft are not being refurbished/refitted.

Varig never serviced Canada, it always code shared with Air Canada... so it's "demise" does not really change anything in Canada.

Make sure you use the UA lounge in GRU NOT Varig (if it's even still open) Worst Star Alliance partner lounge
I never saw a UA lounge in GRU. And yes you are right the Varig lounge has been closed for some time. UA operates two flights from GRU- ORD and IAD. Are you sure they have a lounge in GRU and where is it if I missed it?
Old Nov 29, 2006, 9:43 pm

More info on the UA lounge can be found here:

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,1360,50378,00.html
Old Dec 4, 2006, 11:35 pm

As far as I know the new AC Exec-first is going to be introduced on YYZ-ZRH-DEL, no idea when it will actually get to other routes.
Old Dec 5, 2006, 7:48 am

Programs: A3 G, SPG, Fairmount
Originally Posted by imverge
More info on the UA lounge can be found here:

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,1360,50378,00.html
I believe this is the lounge that RG operated . I spent ten hours in GRU waiting for my UA flight to IAD last June and walked the whole terminal several times in search of a comfortable place. I can't imagine I missed it. Have you personnaly been there?
Old Dec 5, 2006, 12:38 pm

I was on a refurbished 763 on AC421 YUL-YYZ on 3 December. Looked pretty nice, especially the J seats. As we got off the plane there were tons of cabin cleaners ready to get onboard with pillows and blankets for an overnight flight. Which one it was, I don't know.
Old Dec 5, 2006, 4:25 pm

Programs: AC down to Orange lol, Marriott Silver?
If it was the evening, it might be going YYZ-LHR...
Old Dec 5, 2006, 5:55 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

It went on AC848 YYZ-LHR that night. Flying AC854/855 LHR-YVR-LHR tomorrow (6th).
Old Dec 5, 2006, 6:38 pm

Andrew, any chance that you could share an update on the refurbed 763s and the 320s? How many of each are currently in service?
Old Dec 5, 2006, 6:46 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

Originally Posted by makin'miles
Andrew, any chance that you could share an update on the refurbed 763s and the 320s? How many of each are currently in service?
We have 9 320s completed (FIN 217, 218, 221, 235 - 240) & 1 763 (FIN 636). We hope to have the 2nd 763 come off the line shortly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.