Aeroplan has big buying plans

Old Nov 10, 2006, 8:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver
Aeroplan has big buying plans

http://www.canada.com/edmontonjourna...e-dfdbc8be2ba1

TORONTO -- Aeroplan plans to pursue "significant material acquisitions'' in the loyalty program sector as early as next year despite uncertainty about the impact of Ottawa's trust tax plans on the financing of such deals.
Old Nov 10, 2006, 10:26 am

Judging by some of the merchandise rewards, maybe they are talking to HBC about acquiring the Club Z name LOL.
Old Nov 10, 2006, 11:51 am

My guess would be a whole set of large Napoleonic-styled chairs and office furniture for Mr. Duchesne & the other half-wit Aeroplan executives &. Or maybe some real expensive noise-cancelling headphones to diminish the nonstop insults from its 7 million members. I think they would be better off buying good hearing aids though. Regardless, they can certainly afford anything they like, can't they(?) as they have proven very effective at fleecing 25% of the population of Canada for almost 5 years now.
Old Nov 10, 2006, 11:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Wardair A310
My guess would be a whole set of large Napoleonic-styled chairs and office furniture for Mr. Duchesne & the other half-wit Aeroplan executives &. Or maybe some real expensive noise-cancelling headphones to diminish the nonstop insults from its 7 million members. I think they would be better off buying good hearing aids though. Regardless, they can certainly afford anything they like, can't they(?) as they have proven very effective at fleecing 25% of the population of Canada for almost 5 years now.
How does your rant have anything to do with the topic?

Aeroplan plans to pursue "significant material acquisitions'' in the loyalty program sector

That's as in buying out or into other "loyalty"" programs, not office furniture.
Old Nov 10, 2006, 5:45 pm

Programs: various
Originally Posted by tcook052
How does your rant have anything to do with the topic?

Aeroplan plans to pursue "significant material acquisitions'' in the loyalty program sector

That's as in buying out or into other "loyalty"" programs, not office furniture.
It's called sarcasm, dry humour or maybe irony, but regardless tcook I think maybe you need to lighten up.
Old Nov 10, 2006, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by YYZFlyboy
It's called sarcasm, dry humour or maybe irony, but regardless tcook I think maybe you need to lighten up.
They plan on buying really *big* toasters. For 300,000 points, you'll be able to get an easyBAKE Microwave Oven (2006 Limited edition)! (TM)

Anyone with 1/2 a brain can see the obvious:

- yesterday, Aeroplan goes on the offensive, announcing that their new mileage program is fantastically accepted by everyone! It's all good! People love ClassicPlus! They are *orgasmic* over it! Every seat!!!!! (Never mind getting that getting from YYZ to Sudbury might cost you 650,000 points at the last minute. You get row 1A!)

- today, ACE takes a "special non-cash charge of $102 million ($70 million after tax) in connection with Air Canada's obligations for the redemption of Aeroplan miles issued before 2002." There is a huge amount of hidden, not quite clear but obvious financial accounting acknowledgement in that number.

The Beancounters have entered the building; what is happening now is an epic struggle between Aeroplan (TM-"Goodness!") and ACE. One (the latter) has to actually operate things; the other just has to have an image of a Web site that appears to do good things.

One has to get planes in the air safely; the other just has to have a great PR spokesperson.

The two objectives are not quite compatible, and it means the inevitable reduction in the 'concept' of loyalty.

That's why this thread bears relevance and comment, and not simple attacks on what is really insightful sarcasm.
Old Nov 10, 2006, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

TGIF, Wouldn't it be a perfect end to a long week at work to just go out with some friends and enjoy life. I was able to do that last night, ate some great Korean BBQ ^ !

Unfortunately none of the "material" acquisitions made by AE will(fictitious or not)be a help to "us" their long suffering customers....IMO!
Old Nov 10, 2006, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
They plan on buying really *big* toasters. For 300,000 points, you'll be able to get an easyBAKE Microwave Oven (2006 Limited edition)! (TM)

Anyone with 1/2 a brain can see the obvious:

- yesterday, Aeroplan goes on the offensive, announcing that their new mileage program is fantastically accepted by everyone! It's all good! People love ClassicPlus! They are *orgasmic* over it! Every seat!!!!! (Never mind getting that getting from YYZ to Sudbury might cost you 650,000 points at the last minute. You get row 1A!)

- today, ACE takes a "special non-cash charge of $102 million ($70 million after tax) in connection with Air Canada's obligations for the redemption of Aeroplan miles issued before 2002." There is a huge amount of hidden, not quite clear but obvious financial accounting acknowledgement in that number.

The Beancounters have entered the building; what is happening now is an epic struggle between Aeroplan (TM-"Goodness!") and ACE. One (the latter) has to actually operate things; the other just has to have an image of a Web site that appears to do good things.

One has to get planes in the air safely; the other just has to have a great PR spokesperson.

The two objectives are not quite compatible, and it means the inevitable reduction in the 'concept' of loyalty.

That's why this thread bears relevance and comment, and not simple attacks on what is really insightful sarcasm.

Thank you ITAG..........very well said! ^
Old Nov 10, 2006, 7:02 pm

My guess is Shopper's Drug Mart and Shopper's Optimum.
Old Nov 10, 2006, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Delta's or NWA's programs..........perhaps Varig Smiles?
Old Nov 10, 2006, 8:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
Delta's or NWA's programs..........perhaps Varig Smiles?
Skyteam member FFP's? Wouldn't something like US/HP be an overall better fit?
Old Nov 10, 2006, 8:30 pm
ALW

My guess is Shopper's Drug Mart and Shopper's Optimum.
Oh great just when I've got enough points for a decent discount. (Yes I know it's only speculation).

=aw
Old Nov 10, 2006, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tcook052
Skyteam member FFP's? Wouldn't something like US/HP be an overall better fit?
Both are in bankruptcy......ACE also has other contracts with Delta.......why would skyteam make a difference? Could be run by Aeroplan as a separate subsid.
Old Nov 21, 2006, 5:15 am
Original Poster

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/n...d4c643&k=57926

MONTREAL - Aeroplan Income Fund, the leading Canadian loyalty rewards group by revenue, is looking at Europe, Latin America and Asia's more advanced economies for the large-scale acquisitions it avidly seeks, chief executive officer Rupert Duchesne said Monday.
Old Nov 22, 2006, 5:06 pm

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
And not a bad upward blip in the share price today (Up ~$0.5 on ~$15)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.