Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Lounge for US-bound flights from YOW?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lounge for US-bound flights from YOW?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2008, 11:58 am

Programs: AC*S100K
If the Ottawa Macdonald-Cartier International Airport Authority or the airlines are not supportive of a trans-border lounge, then why not provide free WiFi in the US departures area instead? I've flown many times out of LAS and SMF on either UA or AC, and neither airport has a RCC or a MLL --- but they do have free WiFi. YOW is a non-hub airport similar to SMF, and should introduce this passenger-friendly feature. Those long, freezing rain delays in YOW, waiting to get on yet another RJ to Chicago or Washington, would be a little bit less tedious.

Last edited by sleeps_on_red-eyes; Nov 10, 2008 at 5:54 pm Reason: Spelling correction
Old Nov 8, 2008, 7:43 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by sleeps_on_red-eyes
If the Ottawa Macdonald-Cartier International Airport Authority or the airlines are not supportive of a trans-border lounge, then why not provide free WiFi in the US departures area instead?
Agreed. And while they are at it, have them force Sbarro (in the domestic area) to be open at 8:00 in the morning so I can buy a lunch to take on the plane when flying to Vancouver. I'm forced to use BOB because there are no box lunches available at that time of the morning.

Today I'm flying from YHZ to YVR (via YYZ) and I prepaid the BOB meal because I figured I may not have time to buy something in YYZ (turned out I did.) But in Ottawa, at this time of the day, my choice would have been Tim Horton's.
Old Nov 8, 2008, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by YOWkid
The point is that if the airline saw value and a need, that option has been and is continuing to always be there.
Is there really an option available? Everytime I've checked in at YOW transborder, I've been told that I have to immediately go through the pre-clearance area (and may not even get a coffee at the Second Cup or walk around in the public area). This is apparently due to USCBP rules. I don't know if its true or just a rouse to get me to head through preclearance (despite having lots of time), but if it is the case, the option doesn't exist.

FWIW, I've been told the exact same thing in both YEG and YYC.
Old Nov 8, 2008, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The option exists if you go to the lounge before you check-in.
Old Nov 9, 2008, 9:22 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum

One of many reasons to support my assertion that an airside transborder lounge at YOW should be considered (why should there not be wifi for those passengers waiting 1 hr or more, after passing through US preclearance and security) - perhaps an airport operated lounge, accessible to appropriate passengers of several (not limited to 1 global alliance) airlines - following the model of the Quebec City lounge (is that lounge accessible to passengers flying transborder and international flights, as well as domestic flights?).
Old Nov 9, 2008, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you feel this strongly about it, why don't you write the Airport Authority and/or the airline instead of coming here to whine about it?

Obviously somebody... somebody! has done their financial homework and has determined it not worth it.
Old Nov 9, 2008, 7:04 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
I'd rather just stay at home that much longer.

For me the stress of a travel day ends after I've gone through passport control and security. But until then, I'm a bundle of nerves so I would never bother to go the airport lounge unless it was after security.
Old Nov 9, 2008, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And that's the part I don't understand why people are making such a big deal about all this. Show up at 65-70 minutes before departure and by the time you make it through all the formalities, there will be 10-15 minutes left until boarding.

Therefore, it makes me conclude that some people just want to be seen coming out from a lounge and/or they can't stand the thought of waiting with everyone else in a common waiting area.
Old Nov 9, 2008, 9:19 pm

I usually show up about 75 minutes prior, but find the everything usually takes no more than 15-20 minutes, leaving an hour or a bit less until boarding. Certainly more than 10-15 minutes.

While I don't agree that there is sufficient need for a transborder lounge (the demand likely isn't there, even for a joint lounge), I think some improvements could probably be made in terms of amenities... there is very little available on the other-side, and its particularly bad when you get hit with a delay.
Old Nov 10, 2008, 5:56 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
I think that is a key item "when there is a delay".

Lounges are a nicety most of the time but in those irregular operations situations, the lounges can be a great place to hang out for a few hours.

Major Canadian airports with multiple US destinations and dozens of flights to USA per day on Star Alliance planes should have a Star Alliance/Maple Leaf lounge. I think YOW and YYC would fit in there although I am not sure about dozens of flights per day (18 for YOW and 30-33 for YYC).

YYC used to have a lounge which was better than nothing. Now there is nothing--glad I have my Gold status and NEXUS card to avoid most of the lineups. I still like to get to the airport early so I don't feel rushed/stressed. A lounge would be a nicer place to spend that 1/2 to 3/4 hour.

Last edited by BlondeBomber; Nov 10, 2008 at 6:04 am
Old Nov 10, 2008, 5:15 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by BlondeBomber
I think that is a key item "when there is a delay".

Lounges are a nicety most of the time but in those irregular operations situations, the lounges can be a great place to hang out for a few hours.

Major Canadian airports with multiple US destinations and dozens of flights to USA per day on Star Alliance planes should have a Star Alliance/Maple Leaf lounge. I think YOW and YYC would fit in there although I am not sure about dozens of flights per day (18 for YOW and 30-33 for YYC).

YYC used to have a lounge which was better than nothing. Now there is nothing--glad I have my Gold status and NEXUS card to avoid most of the lineups. I still like to get to the airport early so I don't feel rushed/stressed. A lounge would be a nicer place to spend that 1/2 to 3/4 hour.
At YYC, was it a MLL? Was it closed with the renovations, and then never opened, because it was felt that there would be insufficient business?

My argument is that perhaps a lounge to cater to passengers of one global alliance may not be worth it - but why not a lounge (at YYC, YOW, perhaps even YEG! YWG!) at the transborder postclearance areas - which can host "elite" passengers of all 3 global alliances, as well as passengers who have a priority club card, and perhaps appropriate passengers of airlines who do not belong (at least yet) to a global alliance - such as Westjet - similar to the model for a lounge as set up by the Quebec City airport authority?

PS-I have just emailed the YOW airport authority about the question of a transborder lounge (but certainly no thanks to post #51).

PPS-I went to SFO from YOW via YYC last year (Sept 2007) - cheapest latitude fare at that time (the US agent asked me the question as to why transiting via YYC - that was the answer (which was true) I gave him. I felt that an airport the size of YYC should have a transborder lounge - at least a contract lounge.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 2:16 pm

Programs: MileagePlus
I take it that no progress has been made on this issue in 10 years?

I have a First Class ticket from YMM-YVR-YOW-IAD-FAY with a two hour layover in YOW. It's hard to believe there are no options for relaxation.

Between AC and United, it seems that some kind of option would be available.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 6:10 pm

1. More often than not, my transborder flights are late, by a relatively large time frame.

For example, our AC flight to LGA, scheduled to depart last Fri at 5:45 PM (we arrived in the gate waiting area about 4:30 PM) - it was 2.5 hours late. So, a lounge would have been nice.

2. It is mentioned that a transborder lounge at YOW does not make financial sense. So, how can YEG AMEX Plaza Premium make financial sense - do we have that much less (transborder) traffic than YEG, which is not a hub airport anymore than YOW? I do not think that YEG has that many more daily transborder flights than YOW, but I stand to be corrected on that issue.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
We likely have larger aircraft to some degree as I don't think YOW has any transborder mainline flights and YEG does with UA, US and Westjet using full size planes and others using larger size regional jets.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 8:23 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM
Your option is to ... sit in the little restaurant transborder airside, or stay landside for a bit. No lounge for you either way.

Originally Posted by Altaflyer
We likely have larger aircraft to some degree as I don't think YOW has any transborder mainline flights and YEG does with UA, US and Westjet using full size planes and others using larger size regional jets.
We don't have any real mainline, YOW transborder is mostly a collection of E145s and CRJs - besides the VBIT flights to warmer locations during peak vacation times. There is also not much AC - I think just BOS, LGA and DCA now? They left everything else to UA.

I guess because 90% of the time I'm there to catch the UA 6am to ORD or IAD and then onward I don't miss a lounge much since there is no time. And they're kind of lacking a place to put one there as well, although maybe they could close the duty free and put a small one in there

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.