Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Lounge for US-bound flights from YOW?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lounge for US-bound flights from YOW?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2006, 7:09 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Shareholder
You're right there has been a thread on this subject in the recent past and the answer remains unchanged: there is no lounge because there is not enough flight activity to justify the costs of one. YOW is a minor centre for transborder operations and there are about a dozen STAR flights a day to US cities, virtually all on one-class CRJs. So pray tell, why should there be a STAR lounge?
I believe there is enough traffic for a contract lounge (perhaps run by AC as a MLL/Star Alliance Gold lounge, with other airlines signing an agreement with AC to let their customers in) - in terms of "elite" or "lounge" members (realizing that there is minimal business class transborder traffic from YOW).
Old Sep 10, 2006, 7:35 pm

Programs: AC*E, Alaska MVP Gold, FPC Premier, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by auerbal
Nothing. Nada. Disappeared with the advent of pre clearance. Be glad they let you into the USA, if they actually do.

You could easily have called Air Canada to ask this question who would have told you the same thing. Try that for your next question.
Great idea! Call AC. This is a discussion forum, seems like a good place to ask this question.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Doc Fraud
Yes you can use the MLL in the old terminal if you are flying to the US, but remember its a bit of a hike because you still have to schlepp back to pre-clear in the new terminal. Its worth the effort if you've got a couple of hours to kill but otherwise there are enough nooks and crannies and Wifi in the new terminal to make an hour or so quite bearable.

DF
They shouldn't be letting you...
Old Sep 11, 2006, 9:46 am

Programs: SPG - Platinum, Hertz - 5 Star
Originally Posted by YOWkid
They shouldn't be letting you...
Why not??

DF
Old Sep 11, 2006, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You only have the authorisation to be in the part of the terminal where your flight leaves. There is no "crossing" between domestic/international and transborder parts of the terminal.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
I believe there is enough traffic for a contract lounge (perhaps run by AC as a MLL/Star Alliance Gold lounge, with other airlines signing an agreement with AC to let their customers in) - in terms of "elite" or "lounge" members (realizing that there is minimal business class transborder traffic from YOW).
This coming from the guy who can't believe that there are many people out there who don't fly business class on long distance business trips... ?
Old Sep 11, 2006, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by YOWkid
You only have the authorisation to be in the part of the terminal where your flight leaves. There is no "crossing" between domestic/international and transborder parts of the terminal.
Oops. Please don't tell anybody. Seriously I'm based in YYZ so my transborder out of YOW is pretty rare, in fact only once since the new terminal opened to give you an idea of how rare. But on that one time, getting in was a non-issue.

Also I have colleagues based in YOW that participate in con-calls from the lounge all the time as they wait for transborder flights.

DF
Old Sep 11, 2006, 12:21 pm

Programs: AC Aeroplan ;BA GOLD;HH GOLD;FAIRMONT PREMIER;SPG GOLD;PR PASS.
Originally Posted by Shareholder
You're right there has been a thread on this subject in the recent past and the answer remains unchanged: there is no lounge because there is not enough flight activity to justify the costs of one. YOW is a minor centre for transborder operations and there are about a dozen STAR flights a day to US cities, virtually all on one-class CRJs. So pray tell, why should there be a STAR lounge?
One reason is that YOW is Our nations Capital.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 4:43 pm

Oops. Please don't tell anybody. Seriously I'm based in YYZ so my transborder out of YOW is pretty rare, in fact only once since the new terminal opened to give you an idea of how rare. But on that one time, getting in was a non-issue.

Also I have colleagues based in YOW that participate in con-calls from the lounge all the time as they wait for transborder flights.

DF

Perhaps when your colleagues say they are in the lounge, maybe they really mean a bench close to their gate, or the little bar that is next to the US gates :-)
Not only is the MLL in the domestic part of the terminal, but it is in the old building, so it really is quite a trek between the MLL and US pre-clearance. I often skip going there on domestic / LHR departures because its out of the way. I'll only bother if I have > 30 mins to kill, or am in a bad way drink wise :-)
Old Sep 11, 2006, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by ogmios
Perhaps when your colleagues say they are in the lounge, maybe they really mean a bench close to their gate, or the little bar that is next to the US gates :-)
Not only is the MLL in the domestic part of the terminal, but it is in the old building, so it really is quite a trek between the MLL and US pre-clearance. I often skip going there on domestic / LHR departures because its out of the way. I'll only bother if I have > 30 mins to kill, or am in a bad way drink wise :-)
Trust me we all spend enough time on the road to know the difference.

DF
Old Sep 11, 2006, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII

Jeez, I'm glad you never have to run your own business and meet a bottom line...there just isn't enough traffic to justify establishing a lounge of any sort airside. If there was, the company operating the new WS lounge would open one in the transborder area. Even adding DL and CO would only bring it up to maybe 20 flights a day. 20x60 = 1200 passengers with maybe 10% elites (remember US elites don't get lounge access from their FF programs) for 120 visitors maximum, spread across an 18 hour day averages less than 10 visitors an hour!

Of course, you could always open a lounge yourself...
Old Sep 11, 2006, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by wali
One reason is that YOW is Our nations Capital.
There is one for Domestic and International flights. That doesn't mean there must be a second lounge for Tansborder if there is not the customer load to make the operation viable. Even Calgary does not have a transborder lounge and it has twice the volume of transborder flights and most have J/C cabins. AC is a profit-making business and as my previous post shows, there is no way a lounge here could be viable.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, if AC and all the other carriers had more transborder flights ex-YOW, and more of these flights with J class, then the story may change with the AA putting up a community lounge...
Old Sep 12, 2006, 5:37 am

Trust me we all spend enough time on the road to know the difference.

DF

No doubt...I just can't imagine going all the way to the lounge when travelling to the US. Quite a pain.
Old Sep 12, 2006, 6:12 am

Originally Posted by ogmios
No doubt...I just can't imagine going all the way to the lounge when travelling to the US. Quite a pain.
It is absolutely that!! But if you finish your meetings at 2:00PM and your flight out isn't until 5:00PM where else are you gonna go??

DF

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.