Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

OT: Canjet Quits Scheduled Service Sept 10, 2006

OT: Canjet Quits Scheduled Service Sept 10, 2006

Old Sep 6, 2006, 10:33 am

Programs: Sans souci
Originally Posted by airbus320

- Montreal, using a Bombardier CRJ, for a total of 7 weekday flights
- Ottawa, using a Bombardier CRJ, for a total of 6 weekday flights ...
Ouch. I've been able to avoid CRJs up to now. I'll have to be careful. Don't want to break a near-perfect record.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AnselmAdorne
Ouch. I've been able to avoid CRJs up to now. I'll have to be careful. Don't want to break a near-perfect record.
Come on over to the dark side.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by Altaflyer
Wonder if they can just get away with refunding tickets? There is a contract I assume to take one from A to B - no? They are not declaring bankruptcy. I'd be pissed if I was flying them next week, they refunded me $200 and I had to spend $600 to book WS/AC.
By announcing at least with some notice, I'd say, yeh, they can get away with a simple refund. You'd have to dig up their actual tariff, which forms part of the contract, to find out if there is a provision explicitly for cancelled flights in these circumstances. If so, then you have no recourse. If they don't have an applicable tariff provision, you'll have to file a lawsuit or start a class-action to get the fare difference back. I suspect the forrmer is the case.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 11:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Con...2154&t=TS_Home

Canada already has some of the highest domestic airline prices in the world, says Randy Williams, president of the Tourism Industry Association of Canada. So losing one competitor — even one with less than 5 per cent of the market — is a big deal.

"Anytime you lose a scheduled provider, it means less competition in the marketplace. What that means is the threat of higher prices," says Williams. "So that's a concern."
Old Sep 6, 2006, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by tcook052
http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Con...2154&t=TS_Home

Canada already has some of the highest domestic airline prices in the world, says Randy Williams, president of the Tourism Industry Association of Canada. So losing one competitor — even one with less than 5 per cent of the market — is a big deal.

"Anytime you lose a scheduled provider, it means less competition in the marketplace. What that means is the threat of higher prices," says Williams. "So that's a concern."
The Star's article states: "It's also a blow to smaller airports, like Hamilton's John C. Munro. CanJet used the smaller airports to keep prices low. Airports like Hamilton's now have lost a major tenant."

CanJet hasn't flown into Hamilton for some time now! John C. Munro is functioning just fine, IMO, with AC and WS!
Old Sep 6, 2006, 12:40 pm

MONTREAL, Sept. 6 /CNW Telbec/ - Air Canada announced today that it will
add capacity in Eastern Canada to provide consumers with more travel options
at low fares following the termination of scheduled flying by CanJet Airlines.
Air Canada and Air Canada Jazz will add flights and larger aircraft to
serve the region on an as-needed basis in September and launch four new
flights beginning in October. The airline will continue to monitor the market
to determine if demand warrants further capacity additions.
"We want to make sure people flying to and from Eastern Canada and within
the region have plenty of choices available at attractive prices. We will be
adding flights and capacity on an ad hoc basis in September to meet market
demand and, in October, we will increase service on four existing routes,"
said Daniel Shurz, Vice-President, Network Planning at Air Canada. "CanJet
passengers looking to book new flights once the carrier ceases scheduled
operations September 10 will be able to make alternate arrangements with Air
Canada."
Fares from Halifax to Montreal or Ottawa start at $94 while flights from
Halifax to Toronto begin at $109.
Beginning in October, Air Canada and Air Canada Jazz will add one round
trip each from Halifax to:

- Toronto, using an Embraer E175, for a total of 10 weekday flights
- Montreal, using a Bombardier CRJ, for a total of 7 weekday flights
- Ottawa, using a Bombardier CRJ, for a total of 6 weekday flights
- Deer Lake, using a Bombardier CRJ, for a total of 4 weekday flights.

For November and beyond, Air Canada will analyze market conditions and
look for opportunities to increase Air Canada and Jazz service to meet
customer demand.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 12:44 pm

Programs: Sans souci
tcook052, I think you missed post #45, above? Our YWG friend had the jump on you this time.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

tcook: check out post # 45 in this thread...
Old Sep 6, 2006, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by airbus320
tcook: check out post # 45 in this thread...

Apologies. The friend from YWG doesn't miss much.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 6:35 pm

The Star's article states: "It's also a blow to smaller airports, like Hamilton's John C. Munro. CanJet used the smaller airports to keep prices low. Airports like Hamilton's now have lost a major tenant."

CanJet hasn't flown into Hamilton for some time now! John C. Munro is functioning just fine, IMO, with AC and WS!
Don't worry - Today's Vancouver Province claims that Canjet has been flying to YVR for 18 months!!
Old Sep 7, 2006, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"Roughly 450 CanJet employees will lose their jobs when the discount airline moves to charter-only flights, a Halifax newspaper said Thursday.

Flight crews stand to be hit hard by the reported cutbacks, as 122 flight attendants and 94 pilots will lose their jobs (Andrew Vaughan/Canadian Press) The Halifax Daily News says it obtained a document from CanJet's owner, IMP Group, that says 376 people in Halifax and another 80 in Toronto will lose their jobs." CBC

http://www.cbc.ca/story/money/nation...njet-jobs.html
Old Sep 7, 2006, 12:19 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by Shareholder
How many times must it be SHOUTED: THERE IS NO PLACE IN THE CANADIAN MARKETPLACE FOR MORE THAN TWO CARRIERS! IF THAT.
I think that's what Clive wants to believe..
A 3rd could come in, as long as they don't get stupid and try to expand too quickly. HMY is still going.

Originally Posted by Hypnotize
Rumor has it that the leases on some of C6's aircraft were about to expire around the time that C6 is to halt its domestic schedule. They currently operate 10 aircraft, with a couple almost ready for C-Checks. From what I've read in a few forums but more than one person is that they are keeping 8 pilots and 50 employees for this "charter" operation. Sounds to me like this "charter airline" stuff is smoke and mirrors because you can't do much with only 8 pilots.
Old Sep 7, 2006, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by RWAV8R
Shrewd is one word for Ken Rowe. I'm sure that this has nothing to do with the pilots joining ALPA.
Give the poster a cigar:

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/nova-scotia...abour-law.html

Pilots and other employees of CanJet are accusing the airline of violating the Canadian Labour Code in the wake of this week's downsizing announcement.

After parent company IMP Group Ltd. announced that it was getting out of the scheduled airline business on Tuesday, it was learned that over 450 people would lose their jobs.

But representatives with the Air Line Pilots Association met Thursday with the 94 CanJet pilots affected by the announcement to discuss how the process was handled.

Capt. Dan Adamus, the vice-president in Canada for ALPA, claimed that among other violations, the airline failed to give a formal layoff notice to the union.
Old Sep 7, 2006, 8:47 pm

I think that's what Clive wants to believe..
A 3rd could come in, as long as they don't get stupid and try to expand too quickly. HMY is still going.
Clive? Robert seems to believe it.. and history seems to be a pretty factual indicator too. There just isn't room for more than two major, coast-to-coast carriers in Canada. Two carriers keep one another in check, while three or more do nothing but kill yields, profitability, and - most importantly - sustainability.

Canjet seems to have suffered from two things: product offering and employee relations. Westjet has spent years improving its product (like it or not..: LiveTV, leather seats, more legroom, buy-onboard, etc.) while Canjet didn't keep its product competitive. Canjet grew at a pace that it thought it was sustainable, but as Westjet grew into the market it offered more choices (to more destinations) to the customers of Eastern Canada. Canjet again, couldn't compete. That's why you saw it sign an agreement with Harmony last month. It's employee relations were obviously strained, otherwise the FA's and pilots wouldn't have unionized. Both are being speculated to have been the main reason for the shutdown of Canjet. I don't know much about the history of Ken Rowe and unions, but I hear there's history that has now repeated itself.
Old Sep 7, 2006, 8:55 pm

I came across this just a second ago..

Canada - 9.27 people per square mile
U.S.A - 32 people per square mile
South America - 73 people per square mile
Europe - 134 people per square mile
Asia - 203 people per square mile
Africa - 65 people per square mile
Australia - 6.4 people per square mile

I'm sure the FF's of the forum would love nothing better than to pay dirt cheap prices to fly in Canada, but the reality is that we DO NOT have the population to support more than two major carriers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.