Wiki Posts
Search

Best routing for YVR - AKL/SYD

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2006, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WS Platinum, former AC E35K
Best routing for YVR - AKL/SYD

Next May I would like to go down south to AKL and SYD. I would like to visit both NZ and AUS, and I figure the best route would be to go YVR - SYD - AKL - LAX/SFO/HNL - YVR. I would rather fly on direct flights as much as possible rather than go out of my way to fly AC. As long as it is Star Alliance I do not care. From what I hear, NZ has a decent Y class product. I understand that G,K,L,S and P fares on NZ do not count towards status, so I will have to buy a higher fare on NZ segments. On the AC segments I plan to hopefully use a SSWU, assuming they still exist next year. I also priced premium economy on NZ, and that seems a bit out of my price range. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated. I would post this on the NZ forum, however some of the segments will be with AC, hopefully most of them.
Old Jul 23, 2006, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you don't mind overnighting in SIN on the outbound you can do YVR-SIN-SYD-AKL-SIN-YVR. YVR-SIN-SYD/AKL-SIN-YVR on SQ and SYD-AKL on NZ. As for NZ Y, their seat pitch in is 34" for 744 and 32" for 777. You'll get descent meals and IFE in definite with SQ even in Y. For certain booking classes, you do get status mileages for both SQ and NZ.
Old Jul 23, 2006, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Rejuvenated
If you don't mind overnighting in SIN on the outbound you can do YVR-SIN-SYD-AKL-SIN-YVR. YVR-SIN-SYD/AKL-SIN-YVR on SQ and SYD-AKL on NZ. As for NZ Y, their seat pitch in is 34" for 744 and 32" for 777. You'll get descent meals and IFE in definite with SQ even in Y. For certain booking classes, you do get status mileages for both SQ and NZ.
But SIN is quite out of the way. I would rather spend as little time on the plane as possible. Even willing to fly NZ Y AKL - LAX/SFO/HNL - YVR over going AKL - SYD - YVR for a shot in J on SYD - YVR.
Old Jul 23, 2006, 4:55 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
Shore9, I realise you mentioned direct routing, but Rejuvinated has a very valid point.
Are you doing this as a MR or to see the sights in and around AKL and SYD? If a MR, I would suggest buying a *A Circle Pacific ticket. Last time I checked the price was good. You have to make two 24 hour stops as well as your destination. So, if AKL and SYD were your destinations, you could make either SIN or HKG your 24 hour stopover, not bad places to spend 24 hours from what I hear.

If direct is what you really want, then go on AC/UA and NZ visa either LAX or SFO.

The *A forum has lots of threads about the Circle Pacific option, as does the *A website. A search there will serve you well.
Old Jul 23, 2006, 4:57 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by shore9
But SIN is quite out of the way. I would rather spend as little time on the plane as possible. Even willing to fly NZ Y AKL - LAX/SFO/HNL - YVR over going AKL - SYD - YVR for a shot in J on SYD - YVR.
NZ Y service, sched, comfort and IFE over a possible AC J. Take the sure thing. Imagine ending up in AC Y when you could have had NZ Y? Think Fear Factor
Old Jul 23, 2006, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by taupo
Think Fear Factor
Glad I don't have to perform daring stunts when choosing between carriers of any routings.
Old Jul 23, 2006, 5:05 pm

http://flyertalk.com/forum/search.php?searchid=1706669

Here is a link to myriad of threads about the CP fares.

I have looked into it several times, but have not used them due to travelling with midgets or time constraints. I seem to remember the C/J fares as being very reasonable.

http://www.star-alliance.com/star_al...e/main_10.html
Old Jul 23, 2006, 6:36 pm
Original Poster

Shore9, I realise you mentioned direct routing, but Rejuvinated has a very valid point.
Are you doing this as a MR or to see the sights in and around AKL and SYD? If a MR, I would suggest buying a *A Circle Pacific ticket. Last time I checked the price was good. You have to make two 24 hour stops as well as your destination. So, if AKL and SYD were your destinations, you could make either SIN or HKG your 24 hour stopover, not bad places to spend 24 hours from what I hear.

If direct is what you really want, then go on AC/UA and NZ visa either LAX or SFO.

The *A forum has lots of threads about the Circle Pacific option, as does the *A website. A search there will serve you well.
This is not an MR, however I do want to be sure that my miles count towards status, as I figure with this trip I will hit Elite for 2008. If I have to do any extra flying, I would only do it if I was in J. My compromise is agreeing to fly in Y, so I am making sure I only have to suffer so long
Old Jul 23, 2006, 7:32 pm

Try Circle Pacific--all the mileage counts towards status on ALL carriers. And the portions on AC ( if you use it) are upgradeable--I am not sure about it--but if the bookings are in H class then SWU would be required. I didn't calculate the mileage but you could do YVR-HKG-SIN-AKL-SYD-YVR . The first and last would be upgradeable and circle pacifics originate in YVR.
Old Jul 23, 2006, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by ac777
Try Circle Pacific--all the mileage counts towards status on ALL carriers. And the portions on AC ( if you use it) are upgradeable--I am not sure about it--but if the bookings are in H class then SWU would be required. I didn't calculate the mileage but you could do YVR-HKG-SIN-AKL-SYD-YVR . The first and last would be upgradeable and circle pacifics originate in YVR.
Mileage is about 20,500.
Old Jul 23, 2006, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Talking

Mileage is about 20,500.
22306 mi according to the Great Cirlce Mapper.......The 1806 miles might come in handy!
Old Jul 23, 2006, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by shore9
This is not an MR, however I do want to be sure that my miles count towards status, as I figure with this trip I will hit Elite for 2008. If I have to do any extra flying, I would only do it if I was in J. My compromise is agreeing to fly in Y, so I am making sure I only have to suffer so long
I hope you have other trips planned to reach Elite. YVR-AKL/SYD-YVR is only about 15,000 miles.
Only in J?
Who are you agreeing with for the compromise to to fly in Y, yourself possibly?
Old Jul 23, 2006, 8:21 pm

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
I did this routing back in March. Couple of sugestions.

1) Consider flying out of SFO, a much more civilized experience than LAX. There is also the AC YVR-HNL-SYD route.

2) NZ is great but there are better consolidator fares through AC and UA. Definitely use a consolidator like Toureast. There might be better Asian consolidator shops in YVR.

3) No status miles on any decent airfare through NZ. However when I was there in March, NZ ran a sale to get status miles for cheap Trans-tasman fares (e.g. between New Zealand and Australia). Since that time NZ has partnered with QF on the Trans-Trasman, so the perks are likely to decrease.

4) UA's E+ is a great product for the same price as discounted Y. I used UA for this reason and it was a great choice.

5) QF miles can be sent to your AS or AA account. I used QF extensively throughout the Australia and found them to be excellent.

6) NZ has very weird standby rules. Basically there is no standby on domestic runs unless you are Kouru club elite member. The Domestic terminal of AKL does not recognize *A rules. This is based on my singular experience over 6 hours of trying to get from AKL-WLG, YMMV.
Old Jul 23, 2006, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by YEG Guy
I did this routing back in March. Couple of sugestions.

1) Consider flying out of SFO, a much more civilized experience than LAX. There is also the AC YVR-HNL-SYD route.

6) NZ has very weird standby rules. Basically there is no standby on domestic runs unless you are Kouru club elite member. The Domestic terminal of AKL does not recognize *A rules. This is based on my singular experience over 6 hours of trying to get from AKL-WLG, YMMV.
1) If flying AC/NZ combo LAX is easier IMO. If UA, then SFO for sure.

6) Which *A rules are not recognised? Their is no "premium" ckin line IIRC on the dom side, NZ does not have any premium dom service. I have never had a problem standing by/changing flights in NZ? what fare were you on, could that have been a reason?
Old Jul 23, 2006, 8:56 pm
Original Poster

I hope you have other trips planned to reach Elite. YVR-AKL/SYD-YVR is only about 15,000 miles.
Only in J?
Who are you agreeing with for the compromise to to fly in Y, yourself possibly?
I have another trip I will hopefully do to BKK. I will possibly be flying with my girlfriend. Not only that, but I cannot afford M fares on this route, so I would rather just prepare for Y, and make the most of it. If I decide to fly UA, can a companion sit in E+ with me, and confirm that seat in advance?? I am also assuming that AC/UA is my cheapest option for flights that count towards status as well, is that correct?

Last edited by shore9; Jul 23, 2006 at 9:03 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.