Wiki Posts
Search

Uh-Oh...what happens now?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2006, 7:42 pm
Flying Blue Director
Original Poster

Uh-Oh...what happens now?

So I have a flight, YVR-LHR (on to DUB on BMI later), and, being an Elite, I have upgrade certificates. My booking class to LHR, however, is Q. When I called Air Canada to see if I could use my SWU, they said I needed a SSWU. At the time, I said yes, I have that, and proceeded to book the flight. But now I realize I only have a SWU, not good for a Q fare. What should I do? If I call back and change, I'm scared the seats I had (three of them together) won't be there any more.

What would happen if I showed up at the airport and played dumb at check-in, handing my SWU to the agent? I don't mean to be dishonest, but it was an honest mistake, as I didn't know the differnce between the two certs, and I really don't want to go back to coach and be split up if I can help it. What do I do?
Old Jul 18, 2006, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
When is this flight? Assume it is in the next four days since as an Elite that is when you can confirm your upgrade. Did they confirm you in ExecFirst? You can either call and cancel the upgrade -- and release the seat to someone else who has the right fare and certificate -- or you can pay the difference between your Q fare and the H fare that could be upgraded with a SWU, aslong as there is H inventory at this time. The difference may be another $200 one way, plus the change fee. (Of course, if there is no H class available, you'd have to opt for the next lowest acceptable fare.)

BTW were you going to desert your comrads in the other two seats and leave them in the back?

If you cancel the upgrade now, you may be able to get your economy seat back, or you may be out of luck and have to wait until check-in. And if you try to board with the wrong cert, at check-in they'll bounce you back in economy, and once more you may not be able to get your old seat back.

As an Elite, you could have ordered a pair of SSWUs, or perhaps you've already used them?
Old Jul 18, 2006, 7:58 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

If you don't have the SSWU, you'll be downgraded to Y at the airport and be assigned whatever seats are leftover.
Old Jul 18, 2006, 7:59 pm

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
The OP could also call AC Elite line and explain the situation. Then ask politely to have the change fee waived if they move up to H fare. If H fare is too expensive, the OP will have to move to the back as AC will reject the SWU when a SSWU is required.
Old Jul 18, 2006, 8:11 pm
RTR

Programs: hilton honours, spg
Originally Posted by benjybl
So I have a flight, YVR-LHR (on to DUB on BMI later), and, being an Elite, I have upgrade certificates. My booking class to LHR, however, is Q. ...

What would happen if I showed up at the airport and played dumb at check-in, handing my SWU to the agent? I don't mean to be dishonest, but it was an honest mistake, as I didn't know the differnce between the two certs, and I really don't want to go back to coach and be split up if I can help it. What do I do?
While I am not saying that your idea is selfish do you really think it is fair? How about if you could not upgrade because an agent let someone "play dumb".

If you don't mean to be dishonest then don't be dishonest. It is no longer an honest mistake if you attempt to go through with your plan.
Old Jul 18, 2006, 8:24 pm
Flying Blue Director
Original Poster

Thanks for the speedy replies. I was planning on using three certs, as that is how many ppl are travelling. (I was not planning on leaving them back there....)

The flight is this weekend, and yes, I was confirmed. Oh well, I'll just call and see how much the price difference is. It's just that it's for work, and I don't know if I can justify another couple hundred dollars per ticket (one is paying by themself, so it would only be two). As well, I booked through a travel agent...would this matter? Or would AC be able to tell me how much the price difference would be?

On a different matter, I was reading the benefits, etc, on Aeroplan.com....it looks like I have 10 or so lounges to choose from at LHR (plus AC arrivals lounge). Which is the best, from your experience, and can I gain access to any and all of them?
Old Jul 18, 2006, 8:26 pm
Suspended

You can upgrade ONLY 1 companion.

Use your TA to move you to H class.

You use the SK/AC lounge at LHR
Old Jul 18, 2006, 8:29 pm
Flying Blue Director
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mtacchi
You can upgrade ONLY 1 companion.

Use your TA to move you to H class.

You use the SK/AC lounge at LHR
TA?

And are those the only lounges I can use? I checked the list, and it appears there are quite a few more (LH, BMI, and UA)...no?
Old Jul 18, 2006, 8:36 pm
Suspended

TA?

And are those the only lounges I can use? I checked the list, and it appears there are quite a few more (LH, BMI, and UA)...no?

Travel Agent..your lounge use depends on the terminal you have access to. AC uses #3.

LH lounge does not let in Senator side either.. really the AC / SK lounge is one of the nicest around, again...1 guest only.
Old Jul 18, 2006, 8:39 pm
Flying Blue Director
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mtacchi
Travel Agent..your lounge use depends on the terminal you have access to. AC uses #3.

LH lounge does not let in Senator side either.. really the AC / SK lounge is one of the nicest around, again...1 guest only.
What's the difference...Senator/Business?

I'm transferring to a BMI flight, so would I get access to their lounge/lounges in their terminal with my Elite/*G status?

Also, one more thing. As I'm going to have trouble flying J, I want an amenity kit similar to what they get as I really like them. What's my best bet, assuming I even have one, to get one? Would lounges have them? What about arrivals lounge?
Old Jul 18, 2006, 8:45 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
Also, one more thing. As I'm going to have trouble flying J, I want an amenity kit similar to what they get as I really like them. What's my best bet, assuming I even have one, to get one? Would lounges have them? What about arrivals lounge?
Ask a J pax for theirs. I tend to pack my own toothbrush/paste, razor, hairbrush etc.

Lounges will not have them, the people in the lounges pack their own as well
Old Jul 18, 2006, 8:50 pm
Flying Blue Director
Original Poster

Ah well, thanks anyway.

But my question regarding the LHR lounges remains unanswered. Which lounges do I have access to flying (a connecting) BMI, and which would everybody recommend?
Old Jul 18, 2006, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Ah well, thanks anyway.

But my question regarding the LHR lounges remains unanswered. Which lounges do I have access to flying (a connecting) BMI, and which would everybody recommend?
There's the BD lounge in T1. It's o.k.
Old Jul 18, 2006, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Ah well, thanks anyway.

I believe BMI departs from T1 and they have a lounge there you should be able to access with your *G. I have not been in so can't vouch for it.

How long is your layover at LHR?
Old Jul 18, 2006, 9:24 pm
Flying Blue Director
Original Poster

Five hours. How is the AC arrivals lounge?

And, just out of curiousity, is Y on a 333 really that horrible? Is it worth the upgrade cost?

Last edited by Ben Lipsey; Jul 18, 2006 at 9:31 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.