Best route YUL/HKG?

Old Jul 11, 2006, 9:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ACMM 50K, UA Platinum
Best route YUL/HKG?

I am looking for the the best J class route to Hong Kong from Montreal. Should I go through YVR or YYZ? Of course the route via YVR has me in Domestic J for 5 hours, but I seem to recall reading about issues with the YYZ/HKG flights. Should I stay with AC metal? Thanks for your advice.
Old Jul 11, 2006, 10:23 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Plat, VS Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Best J class route? YUL-YYZ-ANC-HKG, with the long hauls on CX.
Old Jul 12, 2006, 12:59 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
If your choice is only AC, then I recommend going through YVR rather than YYZ
( or both - better chance of a " decent" seat YYZ-YVR than YUL-YVR, I believe)

If simply " best J Class route", then I would prefer YUL-YVR-HKG on CX ( rather than
the Toronto-Alaska routing), or SQ through ICN, or.... many other choices via
connections through west coast
Old Jul 12, 2006, 3:46 am

Why doesn't people go with YUL-YYZ-NRT-HKG
Old Jul 12, 2006, 5:09 am
Suspended

Best way.

YUL-YYZ-SFO-HKG on SQ.

or

YUL- YYZ (or JFK) to HKG on CX.
Old Jul 12, 2006, 5:40 am

Programs: Aeroplan E75
Originally Posted by Acrossenger
Why doesn't people go with YUL-YYZ-NRT-HKG
And why not YUL-YYZ-HKG ? What's the problem with YYZ-HKG?
Old Jul 12, 2006, 5:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ulyparis
And why not YUL-YYZ-HKG ? What's the problem with YYZ-HKG?

Because it is on Air Canada. And it is a lesser product. The poster asked for the best way.
Old Jul 12, 2006, 7:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: ACMM 50K, UA Platinum
Originally Posted by mtacchi
Because it is on Air Canada. And it is a lesser product. The poster asked for the best way.
Thanks everyone, for your input. Let me clarify what is "the best way" for me. I am looking for connections that won't drive me crazy, flights that are dependable and do not have a history of being cancelled or delayed. I am looking for service and quality of the J class cabin. This is one of my concerns about the AC J on such a long flight. I love SQ, but have not flown CX. In my SE package, I did choose the bonus miles option on AC metal, so perhaps that is one other consideration, but not critical.

My ticket will be full paid J. I will be going out on Aug 22, return Sep 1 (Friday of a holiday weekend).

Thanks again!
Old Jul 12, 2006, 7:02 am
Suspended

If its Full J, take a friend free on CX. They have a buy one get one free deal in J now.

They are was less delayed, have proper AVOD and WAY (with a capital WAY) better seats.

ps.. I am sure you can find lots of "friends" here...
Old Jul 12, 2006, 7:08 am

Programs: UA1K2MM ACMME50 SQPPS HHDiamond Marriott Lifetime Titanium
[quote

Last edited by yyzprincess; Jan 15, 2007 at 8:28 pm
Old Jul 12, 2006, 7:39 am
Suspended

Here is the CX Link

http://www.cathay.ca/offers/SpecialFares/subdefault.asp
Old Jul 12, 2006, 7:44 am

I also have to agree with mtacchi and yyzprincess but flying CX via YYZ or YVR will avoid the US immigration and custom formalities. Down side is that CX is with One World.

If you do not mind US immigration and custom formalities, SQ is the best choice to stay with *A for your status miles.

CX's YYZ departure is late in the evening and arrives early morning in HKG 2 days later. The schedule is most efficient to allow you to put in a full day's work before departure and immediately upon arrival. However, the tech stop at ANC is an inconvenience. AC used to have a flight at similar time via YVR but AC moved it to a morning departure some time ago.

CX has one of the best J lounges in HKG.

Don't even think about taking AC015 and AC016 even though in theory, these are your best route to HKG. The A345 deployed on this route is extremely unreliable unless you like playing musical chair with your J seat when there is an equipment substitution.

Until AC is able to complete its cabin refurbishment, both CX and SQ are superior to AC in seating comfort and IFE.

CX operates out of T3 at YYZ.

Last edited by Clipper801; Jul 12, 2006 at 8:05 am
Old Jul 12, 2006, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry to break up the SQ love in , but how about LX(non-stop from YUL) to HKG via Zurich(bit of a lay-over in Zurich) they are a very nice way to fly!

There is also TG via LHR/FRA /ZHR and so many other high quality options.......

Since the OP is on that side of the world it might be easier to go via Europe.........
Old Jul 12, 2006, 8:10 am

Just for personal interest and general information, any one able to advise if both the fare and travel time will more or less be the same when flying across Atlantic vs. Pacific to HKG from YUL/YYZ?

Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
Sorry to break up the SQ love in , but how about LX(non-stop from YUL) to HKG via Zurich(bit of a lay-over in Zurich) they are a very nice way to fly!

There is also TG via LHR/FRA /ZHR and so many other high quality options.......

Since the OP is on that side of the world it might be easier to go via Europe.........
Old Jul 12, 2006, 8:12 am
Company Representative - Air Canada

Originally Posted by Clipper801
Don't even think about taking AC015 and AC016 even though in theory, these are your best route to HKG. The A345 deployed on this route is extremely unreliable unless you like playing musical chair with your J seat when there is an equipment substitution.
Once again I do not agree with your statement about this flight being extremely unrealiable.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.