Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

LIM-YYZ-YYC... Welcome to Air Canada

Old Jul 5, 06, 8:45 am
Original Poster

A colleague flew his parents from Lima, Peru to Calgary via Toronto so parents could attend his wedding on 22 July... they arrived in YYZ on 1 July. Colleague was very concerned because parents are elderly and do not speak 'one word of English' -- he received no comfort of assistance from AirCanada so he booked a ticket YYC-YYZ-YYC so he could travel the Canadian leg with his parents. I put him in touch with Travellers Aid @ YYZ; but his concern was from aircraft-Customs/Immigration-terminal.

Here are his comments, when I asked how it went this past Saturday:
My parents did well but just because of their good luck. Air Canada did not help them. Fortunately one of the immigration officers could speak some Spanish and did both immigration and customs papers for them, Air Canada...nothing, they told them ..."do not worry you will do well" (??). When they left Customs nobody explained them where the entrance for the the next gates were. Now I feel I did well going to Toronto, they would have been lost!!!.

Thanks a lot for asking.

Sad....
Old Jul 5, 06, 8:48 am

Location: YYZ; AC SE MM * UA PP * BA G * DL SM MM * HH Diamond * Marriott Lifetime Titanium * Accor Platinum * Queen's 92
Did they ask for help, or just wander around?
Old Jul 5, 06, 9:04 am

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AP Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Simon
Did they ask for help, or just wander around?
This is key. If airline and GTAA staff stopped and asked to help every person who looked lost or was wandering around, their would be as many staff as pax.
I think I wander around looking half lost almost every time I go to YYZ, mainly because I am.
Old Jul 5, 06, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Included in original post:
'Fortunately one of the immigration officers could speak some Spanish and did both immigration and customs papers for them'

The parents decided to follow the crowd off the aircraft; the most confusing moments were leaving the Customs area.

taupo posted:
'If airline and GTAA staff stopped and asked to help every person who looked lost or was wandering around,...'

These people weren't exactly wondering around ; it was an opportunity for AC to make a customer (the tix cost almost as much as the rest of the wedding, for Pete's sake!) feel like he was getting service or value for money spent. I wouldn't ask GTAA to help get my trash to the curb... (joking! sort of...and totally based on personal experience not applicable here)

There are no hysterics, whinging or gnashing of teeth ~ the parents are safely in Calgary.
Old Jul 5, 06, 10:28 am

Location: YYZ; AC SE MM * UA PP * BA G * DL SM MM * HH Diamond * Marriott Lifetime Titanium * Accor Platinum * Queen's 92
#1: There are no AC staff in the Immigration hall. I am not sure whether GTAA and/or Canada Customs would even allow that.

#2: Beyond the Immigration hall -- again, did they ask for help? Neither AC nor the GTAA is staffed up enough to query each disembarking customer as to whether they need assistance. I have never seen that anywhere by any airline.

Simon
Old Jul 5, 06, 11:13 am

Programs: AC E50 MM, WJ Gold, UA Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Platinum
I have to agree with Taupo that AC or the GTAA can't possibly do this for every traveller who looks lost. Was there not someone at AC that could have been called to put these people on a special list. Similar to an Unaccompanied Minor if they couldn't handle the airport on their own. I know AC does this for folks in wheelchairs and such. Just curious.
Old Jul 5, 06, 11:38 am

Although some may find it degrading I know UA and NW put stickers on certain pax (mainly Asian on Asian routes) with the airline logo to identify that they are flying that airline and to attract the attention of airline employees. Perhaps Air Canada should have similar stickers?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: