Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mildly OT: September seat sale

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2006, 11:10 am

Programs: AC LT E50K; AC*MM; SPG LT Gold
Originally Posted by RESGIRL
Over the years, I have noticed that more often than not, a seat sale comes out in early September. I am curious to see if we will be having back to back sales. If so, happy buying!
It's not unusual also to see any given sale having its end date extended.
Old Aug 13, 2006, 11:20 am

Programs: SPG-Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Academic
It's not unusual also to see any given sale having its end date extended.
And I think you're right on the money! I wouldn't be surprised to see this sale extended, as I suspect loads are likely to be affected by the news of this week with less people travelling in an already slow season (Oct-Feb)

But only time will tell, so sit tight until the 21st of Aug!!
Old Aug 13, 2006, 2:03 pm

With the internet, it almost seems like the classic days of the seat sale are gone... the prices that I am seeing for YOW-LHR have been available for more than ten days, and YOW-YQT is actually $5 more.
Old Aug 13, 2006, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Peter N-H
It seems to me that every year in September Air Canada announces a seat sale with large newspaper ads. I want to fly to Europe in September but I'm fairly flexible about the date, and can afford to book at the last moment rather than pay much more in advance and miss the sale.

Can anyone remember whether these offers generally start in the first, second, third, or fourth week of September, or does anyone know if there's some magic formula involved?

With thanks,

Peter N-H
Your thread title shows "Mildly OT", so it's my turn.

Everytime I see your FT handle I always read it as "Peter North"

Oh wait, another bad post. Where's mommy when you need her?
Old Aug 13, 2006, 4:18 pm

Programs: AC*SE, AC*MM, SPG Gold, FPC Plat, HHonors Diamond, PC Plat Elite, R&C Club 5C, Hyatt GP
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Is he affected by the "no gels" restriction, I wonder?
Old Aug 13, 2006, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by antirealist
Is he affected by the "no gels" restriction, I wonder?
He need not any gels
Old Aug 13, 2006, 9:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Simon
As opposed to having one post from you, and zero responses?
No, exactly as my original remark stated, as opposed to everyone replying to say that they didn't know the answer, which would be very dull indeed. Wouldn't zero responses be better than that?

But you're setting up a straw man, since zero reponses, or many responses saying 'I don't know' are not the only options, are they?

Luckily the enquiry has had several helpful, on-topic, responses in amongst a bit of the usual chit-chat and self-puffery, and I'm grateful for them.

Should a further seat sale come along in September, as has been suggested, I'm sure there'll be more to say.

Welcome to FT,
Er, thank you. But as it says in the little bar to one side, I've been a member since March, had already made dozens of responses by the time I was welcomed earlier in the thread, and 90 by the time you posted this. Moderators do seem a little slow off the mark here.

but please don't chastise people for the answers they give.
Ah, I see. You want me to become a moderator. At least until you broke ranks earlier in this thread, not chastising people whatever they said appeared to be Flyer Talk moderator policy.

I wonder if you could chastise tcook052 for being patronising towards other members?

More importantly I wonder if you could go and do something about other Aeroplan postings in the last day or so (rather than five weeks old already, when it's just a little late) that have ranted on offensively about Islamofascism, made comments on other posters' personal hygiene, or attacked their style of posting rather the facts to be found in their posts.

Chastising people for the postings they make seems, in fact, to be the sport of many a Flyer Talk member, including at least one other on this thread.

Just not, in most cases, of the moderators.

Peter N-H
Old Aug 13, 2006, 9:43 pm
Original Poster

Sorry, forgot to sign that last post,

Peter North
Old Aug 14, 2006, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, exactly as my original remark stated, as opposed to everyone replying to say that they didn't know the answer, which would be very dull indeed. Wouldn't zero responses be better than that?

But you're setting up a straw man, since zero reponses, or many responses saying 'I don't know' are not the only options, are they?

Luckily the enquiry has had several helpful, on-topic, responses in amongst a bit of the usual chit-chat and self-puffery, and I'm grateful for them.

Should a further seat sale come along in September, as has been suggested, I'm sure there'll be more to say.

Er, thank you. But as it says in the little bar to one side, I've been a member since March, had already made dozens of responses by the time I was welcomed earlier in the thread, and 90 by the time you posted this. Moderators do seem a little slow off the mark here.

Ah, I see. You want me to become a moderator. At least until you broke ranks earlier in this thread, not chastising people whatever they said appeared to be Flyer Talk moderator policy.

I wonder if you could chastise tcook052 for being patronising towards other members?

More importantly I wonder if you could go and do something about other Aeroplan postings in the last day or so (rather than five weeks old already, when it's just a little late) that have ranted on offensively about Islamofascism, made comments on other posters' personal hygiene, or attacked their style of posting rather the facts to be found in their posts.

Chastising people for the postings they make seems, in fact, to be the sport of many a Flyer Talk member, including at least one other on this thread.

Just not, in most cases, of the moderators.

Peter N-H
I know this will sound of ridiculous, but I think it holds true, no matter how "taboo" it is to mention.

The AC forum is kind of special, IMHO, because there is a certain kind of "ebb and flow" that one needs to get used to before they are seen by others here as being a "regular". The "regulars" are given a little more "respect". Unfair? Perhaps, but it just comes with the territory. Many regulars have met in person at various DOs and functions. Many have helped others by providing certs (in the past), upgrading companions on behalf of other members, offered lounge access to friends of other members, etc. Also, some of the advice and chit chat they contribute have been recognized here. Although I'm not saying that you should be treated "less" than anyone else here (nor am I suggesting that you go and personally meet everyone, or offer lounge access, etc.), I think many here don't realize that this Air Canada Aeroplan Forum is different from any other thread on FT. It's kind of hard to explain, and I'm not meaning to offend you here.
One thing to note -- it is common that many of us will defend "regulars" against those who have just joined. That's how it's going to be and it will not change. I for one, refuse to play the "nicey-nicey goodies two shoes" game with newbies. I will help them when possible (which includes directing them to fifty recent threads on the same question that they just asked), but I will not hold their hand.
Old Aug 14, 2006, 6:38 pm

Programs: AC*SE, AC*MM, SPG Gold, FPC Plat, HHonors Diamond, PC Plat Elite, R&C Club 5C, Hyatt GP
I hear AC is experiencing much bigger loads at the moment.
Old Aug 14, 2006, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by antirealist
I hear AC is experiencing much bigger loads at the moment.
Pretty hard to beat.
Old Aug 14, 2006, 7:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
What self-puffery.
Old Aug 14, 2006, 8:36 pm

The AC forum is kind of special, IMHO, because there is a certain kind of "ebb and flow" that one needs to get used to before they are seen by others here as being a "regular". The "regulars" are given a little more "respect". Unfair? Perhaps, but it just comes with the territory. Many regulars have met in person at various DOs and functions. Many have helped others by providing certs (in the past), upgrading companions on behalf of other members, offered lounge access to friends of other members, etc. Also, some of the advice and chit chat they contribute have been recognized here. Although I'm not saying that you should be treated "less" than anyone else here (nor am I suggesting that you go and personally meet everyone, or offer lounge access, etc.), I think many here don't realize that this Air Canada Aeroplan Forum is different from any other thread on FT. It's kind of hard to explain, and I'm not meaning to offend you here.
One thing to note -- it is common that many of us will defend "regulars" against those who have just joined. That's how it's going to be and it will not change.
Since you know and protect each other so well, why don't you move the AP forum to some very seclusive place, deserving your knowledge, where you won't be disturbed by strangers (and where you will be able to fight each other without any unwelcomed spectators)?

Some people would like a real Aeroplan forum here, not a private family gathering.
Old Aug 14, 2006, 8:44 pm

Programs: AC E50K MM * DL MM * HH Diamond * Marriott Lifetime Titanium * Queen's '92
LearningToFly -- you are quite right, but it is also the place of newcomers, whomever they may be, to the forum not to start off with aggressive attitudes towards existing forum members.

Now can we please return to the topic at hand - September seat sales - rather than discussing other forum members or moderator actions?

Simon
Old Aug 14, 2006, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LearningToFly
Since you know and protect each other so well, why don't you move the AP forum to some very seclusive place, deserving your knowledge, where you won't be disturbed by strangers (and where you will be able to fight each other without any unwelcomed spectators)?

Some people would like a real Aeroplan forum here, not a private family gathering.
What Simon says was the point I was trying to make, with some reasons.

See, I wasn't trying to offend anyone but simply trying to explain why people are the way they are here but now you've decided to slam me. Smooth move.

Maybe you should learn to fly somewhere else.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.