Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

The Air Canada Early Status Recognition Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 29, 2017, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
[outdated content deleted]
Print Wikipost

The Air Canada Early Status Recognition Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2017, 11:49 am

Programs: AC Altitude E%dK
Just passing on what I was told. Altitude status recognition involves IT and employees from both AC and Aeroplan

Last edited by tcook052; Oct 26, 2017 at 10:00 am Reason: edit out quote & post for continuity
Old Oct 26, 2017, 6:06 am

Programs: AC Elite 75k
hey guys, this is my first post. I've been watching this forum for a while in anticipation that I might get status with AC this year, but I just joined today. I wanted to politely post a question. I flew YYZ-YVR-TPE on Oct 22 and today my dashboard shows I've hit 35k Elite status. Since I booked in PE, I will actually hit 50K after I get back from my trip on Oct 30th. So should I select my privilges now or after I hit 50? It says I have until November 15th. Will I get early recognition for 50k as well or that happens end of Feb? And will there be a second round of eupgrades, or is it only the first 5/10 that I choose and then when I go to 50, I don't get anything extra. I'm sorry for being such a newbie. I swear I tried to read through this particular thread almost in it's entirety before asking, but I can't seem to find the answer. Feel free to just point me in the right direction if you want. Thanks!
Old Oct 26, 2017, 6:25 am
alc

Originally Posted by getoutside
hey guys, this is my first post. I've been watching this forum for a while in anticipation that I might get status with AC this year, but I just joined today.
I'm sorry for being such a newbie. I swear I tried to read through this particular thread almost in it's entirety before asking, but I can't seem to find the answer. Feel free to just point me in the right direction if you want. Thanks!
Welcome to FlyerTalk

I wanted to politely post a question. I flew YYZ-YVR-TPE on Oct 22 and today my dashboard shows I've hit 35k Elite status. Since I booked in PE, I will actually hit 50K after I get back from my trip on Oct 30th. So should I select my privilges now or after I hit 50? It says I have until November 15th
You should select it before you get E50K so you get the stuff you select in the E35k Privileges Bundle now (i.e. eUpg / AP Miles / Codes). Maybe you can "consider" to select it on Oct 30th, with the "potential" that the eUpgrade that post to your account on Nov 1st will exp in 2019.

Will I get early recognition for 50k as well or that happens end of Feb? And will there be a second round of eupgrades, or is it only the first 5/10 that I choose and then when I go to 50, I don't get anything extra.
The discussion so far that you will get your E50K status as they perform periodic status check, it will not instant after Nov 1. And for the same reason (not instant), you will not be given an option to select your Privileges Bundles.

Last edited by alc; Oct 26, 2017 at 6:46 am Reason: formatting
Old Oct 26, 2017, 6:35 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Silver; Air Canada 25K; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Jay99
Just passing on what I was told. Altitude status recognition involves IT and employees from both AC and Aeroplan
thanks for the heads up Jay99! I reach 100K after my LHR -> YVR flight today, and I was wondering the same (if AC would be sticking to the advertised Oct 15 date or if there would be a grace period).

And I'm baffled as to the aggressive nature of some posters. I just don't understand how it's helpful to any of us.

Last edited by tcook052; Oct 26, 2017 at 10:00 am Reason: edit quote
Old Oct 26, 2017, 9:30 am

Thanks, I think you'll be ok if it posts quickly (fingers crossed). There have been reports in the past of the SE's getting bumped up even passed the end of Oct, so you never know. Congrats!

Related question - I just barely got into E50k this October, and have the ability to select privileges now. I saw some comments in this thread that if you waited until after November 1st to select your privileges your new eupgrade credits would have a later expiry date. Does anyone know if that's the case or will they expire next Feb regardless of when I select?
Old Oct 26, 2017, 9:44 pm

Thanks, ALC for your kind response. Just a follow-up question...I only have one tango fare to LHR booked from the end of this trip I'm on right now until Feb 28th, so I'm not sure the eups will help me much. To upgrade a tango one way is 21 eups + a steep co-pay so 5 or 10 does not do me much good. If they expire Feb 28th, they'll be a waste.

So I was looking at the other select privilege for the bonus AP miles:

"Altitude Bonus with Air Canada and select airline partners

Choose this Select Privilege and earn 35% Bonus Aeroplan Miles on eligible flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express, Air Canada Rouge, Copa Airlines and United. Also earn a 25% bonus on eligible flights operated by Austrian, brussels airlines, Lufthansa and Swiss.

This bonus applies to Aeroplan Miles earned for distance flown between January 1 and December 31, 2017. Note that if you qualify for a higher status with Early Recognition, the bonus applies as of when your status is confirmed by email. Bonus Aeroplan Miles are not Altitude Qualifying Miles and do not count towards reaching Altitude status."

Does anyone know if you get a bonus on ALL the flights you booked so far this year in 2017 or just the ones between the time that you select this privilege and the end of 2017? So for me would be that one tango fare I have. Also does that mean anything booked for Jan-Feb (if i was to book something) wouldn't get any bonus then?
Old Oct 26, 2017, 10:18 pm
alc

Thanks, ALC for your kind response. Just a follow-up question...I only have one tango fare to LHR booked from the end of this trip I'm on right now until Feb 28th, so I'm not sure the eups will help me much. To upgrade a tango one way is 21 eups + a steep co-pay so 5 or 10 does not do me much good. If they expire Feb 28th, they'll be a waste.

So I was looking at the other select privilege for the bonus AP miles:

"Altitude Bonus with Air Canada and select airline partners

Choose this Select Privilege and earn 35% Bonus Aeroplan Miles on eligible flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express, Air Canada Rouge, Copa Airlines and United. Also earn a 25% bonus on eligible flights operated by Austrian, brussels airlines, Lufthansa and Swiss.

This bonus applies to Aeroplan Miles earned for distance flown between January 1 and December 31, 2017. Note that if you qualify for a higher status with Early Recognition, the bonus applies as of when your status is confirmed by email. Bonus Aeroplan Miles are not Altitude Qualifying Miles and do not count towards reaching Altitude status."

Does anyone know if you get a bonus on ALL the flights you booked so far this year in 2017 or just the ones between the time that you select this privilege and the end of 2017? So for me would be that one tango fare I have. Also does that mean anything booked for Jan-Feb (if i was to book something) wouldn't get any bonus then?
The % bonus is for any flight posted to your account "AFTER" you got your status or you selected your Bundle. So, you can calculate if it is worth it for you or not for any flights you will be taking from now to Dec 12. If you do not have any flight, then this option will actually be useless to you.

For the eUpg, it will be best to have them expire in 2019, so, it will be best if you can select your bundle until we got confirmation that eUpg will be expire in 2019. Can you confirm exactly when will your flight that will get you to E50K?
Old Oct 26, 2017, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by alc
Can you confirm exactly when will your flight that will get you to E50K?
I'm will meet the required AQM on my flight back to YYZ on October 30th, but from my calculations, I won't hit the AQD ($300 short) until that tango flight LHR-YYZ on November 13th. Since my flights from LHR-YYZ usually take about 4-5 days to post the AQD, I'm expecting my account to be updated with 50k Elite around about November 17th-ish - but I'm new to this so I don't know what that will look like. Maybe its too late past the ER date and I won't see 50k Elite until early next year.

By the way, I know this is a little bit different information than I said on my first post..originally I thought I was going to have enough AQD to hit E50k on my flight on Oct 30th, but when I went back and looked at the invoice it looks like I will be a little bit short.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 10:51 pm
alc

I'm will meet the required AQM on my flight back to YYZ on October 30th, but from my calculations, I won't hit the AQD ($300 short) until that tango flight LHR-YYZ on November 13th. Since my flights from LHR-YYZ usually take about 4-5 days to post the AQD, I'm expecting my account to be updated with 50k Elite around about November 17th-ish - but I'm new to this so I don't know what that will look like. Maybe its too late past the ER date and I won't see 50k Elite until early next year.

By the way, I know this is a little bit different information than I said on my first post..originally I thought I was going to have enough AQD to hit E50k on my flight on Oct 30th, but when I went back and looked at the invoice it looks like I will be a little bit short.
Okay, I would agree to select 35% in Bundle #1 as you have 2 long trips coming up before Dec 31st.

But in Bundle #2 , I would select the eUpg and I would confirm your E35K selection on Nov 1st. This will then before your Oct 30 flights posting on Friday Nov 3rd and hence you will for sure get your 35% bonus. And there is a chance that these eUpg will expire in 2019 as they deposit to your account after Nov 1st. Nobody knows whether it is Nov 1st or not this year, hence the word "chance" in my statement.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 4:12 am
alc

Various of questions I recalled people had ask before about Early Recognition, hence provide a Data Point post:

- my flight that qualify me to be SE posted today as expected (flight on Mon post on Fri)

- SE status received and ask me to select my Privileges (select by Nov 16 - so 20 days to select)

- same as when I hit E75K, even though it is after Oct 15, if I select the E50K as a gift, the box did also show up and ask me to enter the recipient name and AP number

- eUpg nominee show up on my eUpg account as well (i.e. no need to wait a day or 2)

- AP account showing my SE status and SE IKK activated (i.e. no YQ, no 2X the miles)

Hope this post will help some FTers in the future
Old Oct 27, 2017, 5:56 am

One upgrade expiry dates, I did find this on the Air Canada eupgrade site: "
  • All credits are valid through the Altitude benefit year, unless otherwise specified on your eUpgrade account. The 2017 benefit year runs to February 28th, 2018. Furthermore, all credits earned on or after November 1st, 2017 will be valid until February 28th, 2019."
Of course, I am not sure if the "earned" date is the same as the deposited date - or were the credits earned when you were granted your status or when you selected your privileges. I'll find out I guess...
Old Oct 27, 2017, 2:22 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Hit both 35 and E50 earlier in the month, and show as E50 on the AC website and all E ups have been credited to my account.

Does anyone know when they send a new E50 card? Presumably some Star Gold lounges overseas want to see it to gain access?
Old Oct 27, 2017, 2:28 pm
alc

Originally Posted by mapleg
Hit both 35 and E50 earlier in the month, and show as E50 on the AC website and all E ups have been credited to my account.

Does anyone know when they send a new E50 card? Presumably some Star Gold lounges overseas want to see it to gain access?
from my experience based in YYZ, 7 business days (see wiki) but I am already on day 9 on waiting for my E75K package.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 6:53 am

Programs: AC Black Card, Nexus
Originally Posted by alc
from my experience based in YYZ, 7 business days (see wiki) but I am already on day 9 on waiting for my E75K package.
I think I'm past that waiting for my card. Mind you I'm a pleb and only E35k right now.

If only you could forward the rest of your bookings and be bumped up a status early. Wish I had *G today.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 7:50 am
alc

Originally Posted by yosemite1
If only you could forward the rest of your bookings and be bumped up a status early. Wish I had *G today.
Technically, AC kind of let you do that. That is when you purchase certain unlimited flight pass that come with Altitude status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.