Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

The Air Canada Early Status Recognition Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 29, 2017, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
[outdated content deleted]
Print Wikipost

The Air Canada Early Status Recognition Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2013, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by GJS - yow
All levels are included. I should have said that the sweep tonight is to determine the 2013 Altitude status for all Aeroplan members (i.e. all status miles for 2012 should now be in the accounts).
Just curious, but who told you that the sweep is tonight?
Old Jan 13, 2013, 12:59 pm

Programs: AC*SE
I just checked my account and it still shows Elete with 114,000 miles for 2012. I went past 100,000 on Nov. 27th.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 2:38 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM/S100K; HHonors Diamond; a bunch of others at various levels!
Originally Posted by hydrogen
Just curious, but who told you that the sweep is tonight?
The trustworthy people at the Aeroplan centre.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 5:31 pm

Programs: Qantas FF Plat; Virgin Aust Plat;
Final sweep to determine Altitude Level for 2013 will be complete on Jan. 14.

I am an E and passed the 100k mark with a flight on Dec. 15 and subsequent posting of the bonus status miles on Dec. 24.

I was told (in my case) to expect SE privileges as of Monday, Jan. 14 (i.e. able to eUpgrade with a 7 day window).
My dates, miles and situation is almost identical to yours.

I'm hoping you are right (and not doubting what you were told), but I expect 2013 status to be computed tonight, but I'm not expecting recognition of SE status until 1 March based on what ACTT posted a while back.

Happy to be wrong though ... flew in from SYD today and am doing a bit of AC and LH flying over the next month.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:08 pm

The trustworthy people at the Aeroplan centre.
Past midnight (EST) and nada. But I'll give AE the benefit of the doubt and give until 12 PST.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 6:22 am

That didn't work out as I hoped!

No status change in my online Aeroplan account this morning. However, when I called in, today's agent told me that my account was definitely showing as SE from their end.

The question is, can I use the 7-day eUpgrade window? I'll find out shortly...
Old Jan 14, 2013, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by hydrogen
Past midnight (EST) and nada. But I'll give AE the benefit of the doubt and give until 12 PST.
The Sunday sweeps do not take place immediately at midnight (in any time zone). They occur overnight, as the antiquated servers (or is it - horrors! - a mainframe?) employed by the AC IT department churn through all the member accounts.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 7:06 am

Hi All, I have 114,000 for 2012 but no early rec. I just checked my next flights booked for next week and they still show a 4 day upgrade window. I never called to find out if I'm showing SE with AC but I'm showing Elete on Aeroplan.

I just called AC and had my number removed and replaced on my booking for Sunday coming flights but it still shows me as elite. I wish I could have e-upgraded today but, oh well...

Last edited by KCOLLIS; Jan 14, 2013 at 9:30 am Reason: New Info...
Old Jan 14, 2013, 7:19 am

Programs: AC*SE, Marco Polo Gold, SPG Gold, IHG Gold
The Sunday sweeps do not take place immediately at midnight (in any time zone). They occur overnight, as the antiquated servers (or is it - horrors! - a mainframe?) employed by the AC IT department churn through all the member accounts.
Quite a bit past midnight now, and still nothing. I'm also tranitioning from E to SE, qualified in Dec. No IKK reduction on the Aeroplan site, so it seems to not be on their back end either. Nothing in a 5-7 window to test eUps.

I suspect it picked up next year's status correctly, but they are not interested in adjusting the 'almost over' year in progress. I guess I'll find out when I check in l today - if I can delete & re-add my number it may toggle from E to SE... But I doubt it.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:23 am

Programs: Qantas FF Plat; Virgin Aust Plat;
This is what AC TT posted in another forum on December 6th (my emphasis):

Originally Posted by Air Canada Top Tier
Hi everyone

<snip>

Therefore, in order to accomodate these considerations, March 1, 2013 will be the effective date for your Altitude status in 2013. As some have pointed out, this is the 'official' launch of the benefit year in even a normal year; however, typically in the past, if you've qualified for a higher status earlier on, we would recognize you with that status as early as December.

Unfortunately, for launch in 2013, this will not be the case
. That said, we're working on many improvements in the interest of simplifying your travel experience as an Altitude member. To that end, if you can bear with us through the transition, I'm confident that you'll like where you'll find yourself when Altitude launches in March. I can also confirm that this March 1 effective date, while required for launch this year, is not something that we expect to use going forward.
<snip>
Dec 6th was about the date that the last early recognitions went through (according to various posts), hence my assumption that there would be no more after that until the new benefit year started in March '13.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 12:56 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Accor Diamond, Hilton Gold
Thumbs down Grrr...

Flying a ton in the next little while and would really love my SE status to kick in. Just spent a couple of hundred dollars on preferred seats.

Kind of disappointing that AC hasn't been able to run a batch to upgrade anyone with > 95 segments or 100,000 miles to SE.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 1:01 pm

Programs: AC*SE, Marco Polo Gold, SPG Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by RooFlyer
This is what AC TT posted in another forum on December 6th (my emphasis):

Dec 6th was about the date that the last early recognitions went through (according to various posts), hence my assumption that there would be no more after that until the new benefit year started in March '13.
I'll concede this up front as a nod to the rule-minded: the posted last date for early recognition was Oct 15th. Anything after that was an added bonus - a gift, if you will, from the fine folks at AC.

Having said that, the fact that they continued granting status into November led me to the assumption they would continue doing such for the existing levels (E-'Classic' & SE). They didn't, and that's frustrating to me. My travel in December could easily have been booked in November if they had communicated that non-official cut-off date. But they didn't give any warning (and really, I should not be surprised since they aren't famous for timely communication). They are still giving eUps for thresholds, but not status. It's an interesting choice.

Since they came up with the scipt above, that's the only response I've seen. They are consistent, and the position is in line with published policy. But it's crappy service to what are supposed to be your most valuable customers, IMHO. .
KCOLLIS, GJS (and doubtlessly others) are caught in this gap, and the only reply I've heard about is a very solidly repeated form letter. I've tried and can't get any authentic response that shows anyone even pretended to care otherwise.

Bottom line is, we didn't make the Oct 15 cutoff for early recognition so we were not entitled to it. But that doesn't make it a good customer service experience. To quote Margarita Girl's sig: 'The biggest problem with AC is they don't have a loyalty program.'
Old Jan 14, 2013, 7:36 pm

RunningWithScissors said,
"Since they came up with the scipt above, that's the only response I've seen. They are consistent, and the position is in line with published policy. But it's crappy service to what are supposed to be your most valuable customers, IMHO"
I know what he means in his post but I respectfully disagree that AC has been consistant. If they said "here is the cut off date" and stuck with it, that would be fine. The fact that they continued to grant status for some, but not others, is what I consider the problem. I saw one post on this forum where the OP said he surpassed 100,000 on Nov. 26th and got full SE status rec. I surpassed 100,000 on Nov. 27th and got nothing. It has also been suggested that that happened because of when the miles posted to my account and had to show up by the Dec. 2nd sweep. Well, when the miles posted was something I had no control over. They should have decided that, for instance, if you took the flights before Nov. 30, for instance, that no matter when the miles posted, the FF would get the status, or, of course, give no one status after Oct. as they said in thier info. I'm really regreting choosing AC over KLM with my travel to Africa. I'm an oil worker and KLM gives oil workers Petrolieum Status right away that gives preferred seating in economy+, access to lounges, etc... and when you acquire miles you can still upgrade, get free flights. etc... but I chose to keep my companies cash in Canada. Oh well, there is always next year.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 8:00 pm
m.y

Programs: AC 75k, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by KCOLLIS
RunningWithScissors said,

I know what he means in his post but I respectfully disagree that AC has been consistant. If they said "here is the cut off date" and stuck with it, that would be fine. The fact that they continued to grant status for some, but not others, is what I consider the problem.
People want consistency, unless when it doesn't suit them, then they want flexibility (Can I get E50k if I have 49000 miles?, can I standby on T+ fare to earlier flight for free? Can I bring two non family guests to MLL? Can I get early recognition after crossing threshold Dec 31? Can I check in for transborder flight 50 minutes before departure?)

AC has a firm cut off date of October 15th, they probably extend that for some customers "to make a good customer service".
Old Jan 15, 2013, 2:45 am

Originally Posted by m.y
People want consistency, unless when it doesn't suit them, then they want flexibility (Can I get E50k if I have 49000 miles?, can I standby on T+ fare to earlier flight for free? Can I bring two non family guests to MLL? Can I get early recognition after crossing threshold Dec 31? Can I check in for transborder flight 50 minutes before departure?)

AC has a firm cut off date of October 15th, they probably extend that for some customers "to make a good customer service".
Therefore not a firm cut of date, DUH!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.