Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

The Air Canada Early Status Recognition Thread

Old Sep 29, 2017, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
[outdated content deleted]
Print Wikipost

The Air Canada Early Status Recognition Thread

Old Nov 6, 2008, 7:37 am
ALW

3 days is the normal posting time. And the deadline was officialy "posted by Oct 15" (unofficially extended to Oct 31 to allow for slow posting).

BTW, I sympathize. I'm missing a segment because the very nice lounge agent who fixed an AC's-IT screwup, missed putting my Aeroplan number on one segment (I assume she was rebuilding it by hand, since it was only the one segment).

=aw
Old Nov 6, 2008, 7:40 am

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Originally Posted by Betelgeuse451
My wife finally passed the 35,000 threshold with a flight on Oct. 31, which didn't post til Nov. 3. I called Aeroplan to find out if she would get early status recognition, was passed to a rude supervisor who stated that if the flights had not posted by Oct. 31, it was past the cutoff and there was nothing that could be done, and nobody I can escalate to. I find it extremely strange that the inefficiency of their systems is my problem, not theirs...
The cutoff date should be Oct 15, not Oct 31. Maybe they knew that their system is inefficient that they made Oct 31 the internal deadline to catch any inefficiencies? This is just my speculation, not an official answer.
Old Nov 6, 2008, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by Betelgeuse451
My wife finally passed the 35,000 threshold with a flight on Oct. 31, which didn't post til Nov. 3. I called Aeroplan to find out if she would get early status recognition, was passed to a rude supervisor who stated that if the flights had not posted by Oct. 31, it was past the cutoff and there was nothing that could be done, and nobody I can escalate to. I find it extremely strange that the inefficiency of their systems is my problem, not theirs...
It was announced at the beggining of the year that early recognition would run until october 15th. They processed it as a *courtesy* until october 31st. So technically, if she really wanted to make sure she qualified early she should of done the necessary flights by oct 15th.
Old Nov 6, 2008, 9:14 am

Programs: ACMM SE100K; *G
Something I'm still not clear on and I hope someone can enlighten me:

I will hit 35k status miles in 2 weeks (mid November). I realize that this is past the early recognition cut-off.

My question: Does that mean that I get absolutely no Elite benefits until March 1? I realize that they won't send me the package and junk before March, but is it at all possible to take part in priority boarding or MLL access prior to March 1?

I think I know the answer, but I'd like someone to confirm that for me. Thanks very much.
Old Nov 6, 2008, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC E75K *G
Originally Posted by j_the_p
Something I'm still not clear on and I hope someone can enlighten me:

I will hit 35k status miles in 2 weeks (mid November). I realize that this is past the early recognition cut-off.

My question: Does that mean that I get absolutely no Elite benefits until March 1? I realize that they won't send me the package and junk before March, but is it at all possible to take part in priority boarding or MLL access prior to March 1?

I think I know the answer, but I'd like someone to confirm that for me. Thanks very much.
See the last paragraph of the first post in this thread.

The official answer is that you will receive no Elite benefits until March 1, 2009.

People have reported in the past that the AP website will nevertheless think you are Elite not long after the 35k'th mile posts. (The website has different looks for Basic/P/E/SE), and people have reported that boarding passes reflect Elite status (especially if they book the flights after crossing 35k, or if they had the AP number removed and put back onto old bookings).

If that happens in your case, you could very well parlay that into using a few of the E benefits. But not officially.
Old Nov 6, 2008, 9:22 am
ALW

Traditionally Elite status starts to show up online in January. Getting access to the benefits can be hit-or-miss since in some situations (e.g. priority boarding) the agent may not have time to look up your file. That said, status should show up on boarding passes though.

=aw
Old Nov 6, 2008, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
You will start getting the 50% Elite bonus on your flights on Jan 1 assuming that's one of the benefits you select.

Or at least I did when I moved from Elite to SE. But I had already selected the 50% bonus as one of my Elite benefits, so I started getting 100% bonus SE benefit on Jan 1. Not sure if it's different if you move from basic to Elite and had no previously selected benefits.
Old Nov 6, 2008, 10:01 pm

Programs: AC Elite, Asia Miles, HH
Originally Posted by Stranger
Last year, I got the e-mail asking me to pick up a package a few days after I had picked one.

It's just that their computers are slow. Get used to it.
Ya me too! I was able to login to my AP account and it showed Elite and had a big link to choose my options. I choose my options and interestingly enough, I got the email a couple days later.
Old Nov 11, 2008, 2:58 pm

I checked my AP account and it mentioned that my package was mailed out on October 31, 2008. I was expecting it late last week. So hopefully, it should be in my mailbox this week. Cross my fingers.

Does anyone know where the packages are mailed out of? If it was mailed on the 31st, it's already been six business days (as of Monday).

I'm wondering if there are any FT'ers that have already received their packages after making the early status deadline?
Old Nov 16, 2008, 3:38 pm

Programs: AC SE, HH G, Hertz 1st
Post-Early Recognition, Pre-Year End Status Change

Hi,

Finally, after 9 years of trying, I'm a "soon to be" SE for the first time!

I passed 100K status miles with 92 status legs on Nov 07.

Spoke to an Aeroplan agent today, and she informed me that my status would change with the next "snapshot" of my account which would be first week of December. My online status should change at that time.

I can wait. I've waited a long-time already ... This is still better than 01 Mar 09!

I thought others might find the "snapshot" method informative. I didn't see that mentioned in the thread.

Cheers,

niner
Old Nov 16, 2008, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by CanadianPie
I checked my AP account and it mentioned that my package was mailed out on October 31, 2008. I was expecting it late last week. So hopefully, it should be in my mailbox this week. Cross my fingers.

Does anyone know where the packages are mailed out of? If it was mailed on the 31st, it's already been six business days (as of Monday).

My benefit package arrived in the mail on Wednesday. I guess I was just a bit too anxious.

So when do we get to choose our package benefits for 2009?
Old Nov 16, 2008, 4:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC E75K *G
Originally Posted by niner
I thought others might find the "snapshot" method informative. I didn't see that mentioned in the thread.
See the paragraph with title Early Status "Lite" at the end of the first post of this thread.

Originally Posted by CanadianPie
So when do we get to choose our package benefits for 2009?
After the website allows you to do so, which is usually before you get the email inviting you to do so and probably in mid-to-late-December.
Old Nov 16, 2008, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by zorn
After the website allows you to do so, which is usually before you get the email inviting you to do so and probably in mid-to-late-December.
Hmmm... So then I should get more certificates for some early January flights? (This is assuming I've used up all my certs from early status recognition) Would they be mailed out shortly thereafter?

Woo hoo! 100 posts on FT. Just 2,230 more to catch up to zorn and 1,582 for margarita girl... thanks to all FT'ers for thier feedback over the last couple of years.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 11:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I made Elite on 4th October, and was sent the email regarding privilege choices a few days later. I dutifully selected them and sent them off.
Received an email confirming choices on Oct 19th. My package was sent 24th October.

This morning I receive an email congratulating me on reaching elite status on Nov 23rd, and soon I'll be able to make my selections.

Is this normal with AC?
Old Nov 25, 2008, 1:26 am

Originally Posted by Badabing59
I made Elite on 4th October, and was sent the email regarding privilege choices a few days later. I dutifully selected them and sent them off.
Received an email confirming choices on Oct 19th. My package was sent 24th October.

This morning I receive an email congratulating me on reaching elite status on Nov 23rd, and soon I'll be able to make my selections.

Is this normal with AC?

I did the same. I made Elite status in late October and got all my benefits for the 2008 year and that expires February 29, 2008.

The email you received was for making Elite and the benefits you choose will be for January 1, 2009 to February 28, 2010.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.