Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

The Air Canada Early Status Recognition Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 29, 2017, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
[outdated content deleted]
Print Wikipost

The Air Canada Early Status Recognition Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2008, 3:51 pm

Question Which perks to choose?

I just received Elite early recognition and will be doing more travel (including several YYZ-YVR trips) between now and February. I won't be hitting SE status by the end of the year, though.

My question: Which are the best privileges to choose based on your experiences?

Last edited by len222; Oct 19, 2008 at 3:52 pm Reason: Typo
Old Oct 19, 2008, 4:30 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Originally Posted by len222
I just received Elite early recognition and will be doing more travel (including several YYZ-YVR trips) between now and February. I won't be hitting SE status by the end of the year, though.

Welcome to FT!

No matter what you pick, just don't pick the 2500 AC status mile bonus. This is absolutely useless!
Old Oct 19, 2008, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by len222

I have not received my early recognition package yet, do they still offer 50% bonus option for Elites and 100% for SE's?
Old Oct 19, 2008, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have requalified for SE since July.
Old Oct 19, 2008, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by Rejuvenated
I have requalified for SE since July.
July???? WOW....you must be on your way to 200k by the end of the year.....brilliant.
Old Oct 19, 2008, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I will not make it to 200K by the end of this year. Most likely I will not have anymore travels with *A for the remainder of this month, Nov, and Dec. I'll be doing lots of flying with OW instead.
Old Oct 19, 2008, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by 1K+
I have not received my early recognition package yet, do they still offer 50% bonus option for Elites and 100% for SE's?
Yes, they do. Here's one of the items I can choose:

Bonus Aeroplan Miles on Selected Flights in 2008
Earn 50% Bonus Aeroplan Miles every time you fly on a scheduled flight operated by Air Canada & Air Canada Jazz in 2008*.

Earn 25% Bonus Aeroplan Miles every time you fly on a scheduled flight operated by ANA, bmi, Lufthansa and SWISS in 2008.

Mileage bonus applies to Aeroplan Miles earned for distance flown only. Mileage bonus does not apply to any other mileage accumulation including class of service bonus and other promotions. Bonus Aeroplan Miles are not Air Canada Status Miles and do not qualify for Air Canada Top Tier status.

This Privilege only applies as of the date the Elite status is awarded. Members who are awarded Air Canada Elite status after March 1, 2008, will not be awarded Bonus Aeroplan Miles for flights taken prior to achieving Elite status.

* Not applicable to flights taken in conjunction with an Unlimited Flight Pass or flights with Tango fares, when members selected the option not to earn Aeroplan Miles.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 7:20 am

Programs: AC*E, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by The Lev

No offence, but unless you have no more travel plans until after February, I can't imagine why anyone who was a Prestige and chose the miles then would select the 2500 status miles option given that it nets out to only 1,000 miles after they deduct 1,500 that you got for choosing it as a P. AC's happy - 1,000 miles costs them about ten bucks.
I guess you're right. I had select the *P bonus miles when I did my pkg selection last year, bc I was short by about 2K miles of elite for 08-09.

This year I ended up qualifying on segs. I guess I'll forgo the Status Miles nx year.

BTW - I find it funny that "Status Miles" is abbreviated to "SMILES" in the description, and that they deduct it ;-)
Old Oct 20, 2008, 10:24 am
ALW

some people earned early recognition full packages even into November
I'm curious what the latest recognition (in 2007) was. IOW, how late did your qualifying points for early E or SE post and you still got the early recognition (with or without a package)?

I suggest that after someone replies to this question, others post a response only if you can top it. IOW, if someone says "Oct 22/07", don't reply with "Aug 17/07".

[Of course, previous results are not an indicator of future performance].

Thanks!
=aw
Old Oct 23, 2008, 7:09 am
ALW

Hmm, no answers. Does this mean _no one_ got early recognition in 2007 (for 2008 status) if their qualifying mile or segment posted after Oct 15?

=aw
Old Oct 23, 2008, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
See this thread from YXUflyboy this morning.
Old Oct 23, 2008, 7:53 am
ALW

Thanks mg. It's good to know there's a little flexibility this year.

What I was looking for with my question, was to establish the extent of the flexibility _last_ year (so as to make inappropriate and untrustworthy assumptions about this year).

e.g. if someone hit 100K (or 95 seg) on Nov 2/07 and still got early recognition, that would be interesting.

BTW, do the early-qualifications post on Sundays like most other recurring events?

Thanks!
=aw
Old Oct 23, 2008, 8:10 am

Programs: AC*E, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
So if you hit early status on Status Miles, and part of those miles are status miles which are eventually retracted - do you still keep status?
Old Oct 23, 2008, 8:37 am
ALW

If you mean retracted because they were part of your package and were superceded by other bonuses (e.g. early-Elite, then SuperElite), I believe the answer's "yes".

If you mean retracted because they were posted in error, I'm guessing not.

=aw
Old Oct 23, 2008, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by ALW
What I was looking for with my question, was to establish the extent of the flexibility _last_ year (so as to make inappropriate and untrustworthy assumptions about this year).

e.g. if someone hit 100K (or 95 seg) on Nov 2/07 and still got early recognition, that would be interesting.
I think I crossed SE around Nov 15 and did not get early recognition. I do remember a whole thread on this topic (late last year) where people were posting that they still got early recognition after the official cut off date. Maybe someone else can locate it using the search function.

Edit: Actually it's this thread. Start at post #104 on page 7.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.