Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

The Air Canada Early Status Recognition Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 29, 2017, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
[outdated content deleted]
Print Wikipost

The Air Canada Early Status Recognition Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2019, 4:23 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA S, Bonvoy Titanium
If that's the case, then it's weird I can't re-select it as an option going up to 75K. Am I totally screwed then for lower qualification or could I just not select 75K benefits to keep my 50K selection? Otherwise I guess I'll need to fly an additional 3K miles.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 4:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by recreationaltimetraveller
If that's the case, then it's weird I can't re-select it as an option going up to 75K. Am I totally screwed then for lower qualification or could I just not select 75K benefits to keep my 50K selection? Otherwise I guess I'll need to fly an additional 3K miles.
I think the theory is that an E75K who selects lower requal, and then hits S100K for early recognition, would have no use for the lower requal benefit.

And I suspect they just assumed no one would go up more than one level.

You can select the bonus AQM which should push you slightly closer to 100k, but I suspect you're out of luck without some manual intervention.

You can always Tweet them and ask, but I'm not quite sure how I'd phrase the question. "I selected lower requalification as my E50K benefit, so does that mean I only need 95k miles for S100K? Do I need to choose anything specific having just reached E75K?"
Old Oct 17, 2019, 6:31 pm

My guess is that you are OK. It looks like you were offered only benefits which apply to 75K but not 50K (e.g. 35K status for a friend), or the difference between 50k and 75K benefits (e.g. 10 additional e-ups). But it never hurts to ask them, and then you will know if you need to plan an MR.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 7:24 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Accor Diamond, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by recreationaltimetraveller
It's unfortunate, but if you select the lower qualification option but end up qualifying for a higher status early the benefit becomes useless. If you are gunning for SE by the EOY you can also select the 1,500 AQM as one of your 75K benefits, which will get you half way to the 3,000 AQM it sounds like you will be missing. Depending on your flying patterns, etc. it might be worth giving up the 10 eUpgrade credits.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 4:39 am

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
Hit P25K sometime last night.

-24th flight was Friday, October 11th which put me over the AQD requirement
-AQD posted on October 17th
-Segment for return flight (October 15th) posted sometime between 12am and 8am on the 18th
-Status updated to P25K over that same time period on the 18th

@canadiancow looks like I can register for EYW after all!
canadiancow likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 10:19 am

Programs: Nexus, Global Entry
Benefits of 35K on qualifying flight?

I hope this is not a dumb question, but here goes:

I'm currently Altitude 25K. My next flight, in a couple of days, is going to be DEl-YYZ, in J, which will put me over the 35K for the year. As it turns out, I could really use the option to check a third bag on this flight. But with 25K status, and despite being in J, my allowance is just two bags. It would have been three if I already had 35K status. Is there any chance that AC will let me use the benefits of 35K status on the flight that gets me over?

Pretty sure the answer is going to be NO, but just checking anyway.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 10:21 am

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
Originally Posted by ssconfiguration
I hope this is not a dumb question, but here goes:

I'm currently Altitude 25K. My next flight, in a couple of days, is going to be DEl-YYZ, in J, which will put me over the 35K for the year. As it turns out, I could really use the option to check a third bag on this flight. But with 25K status, and despite being in J, my allowance is just two bags. It would have been three if I already had 35K status. Is there any chance that AC will let me use the benefits of 35K status on the flight that gets me over?

Pretty sure the answer is going to be NO, but just checking anyway.
Unfortunately, the status you have now is what applies to the qualifying flight.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 10:34 am

Programs: Nexus, Global Entry
Thanks!
codfather likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 12:12 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA S, Bonvoy Titanium
Update - I looked at my remaining travel for the year and realized I'm only 2391AQM short of 100K miles. I had a YYZ-LAX Aeroplan ticket booked in November which I cancelled and rebooked as comfort which will earn me 2496 miles giving a 100mile cushion.

I ended up selecting the EUPs and Wifi (since I figure that can extend into next year) and actually had 20 EUPs deposited into my account instead 10 so that's a nice bonus.

I had reached out on Twitter per Cow's suggestion and the Altitude team had no idea and is investigating further. I'll report back when I get an update as it might be beneficial for someone else.

Edit: They just got back to me on Twitter:
Hi If you selected the Lower Requalification option when selecting your Elite 50K privileges, this option will be valid for the entire year and for any status. This means that if by the end of the year you meet the Lower requalification levels for Super Elite 100K, you will be granted this status regardless what you selected for your Elite 75K privileges. Also note that the Lower Requalification is not extended to members when selecting their privileges during Early Recognition.

Hope this helps! Have a great day! /Max
Super Elite 100K, you will be granted this status regardless what you selected for your Elite 75K privileges. Also note that the Lower Requalification is not extended to members when selecting their privileges during Early Recognition. Hope this helps! Have a great day! /Max
douglasr likes this.

Last edited by recreationaltimetraveller; Oct 18, 2019 at 12:25 pm
Old Oct 18, 2019, 6:44 pm

Hi,

New here and a new frequent flyer with Air Canada. My apologies if this is somewhere in the forums....

I am currently 35k. I am flying YUL - LAX on Sunday, and will be coming back Saturday the 26th. The return flight will put me above the 50k AQM requirement for 50k status (I already have the AQD necessary) I am guessing I should get early recognition for this - even if it takes a bit of time that might go beyond Oct 31?

Also, in November, I'm flying YUL - YVR - MEL and back again later in the month - which will push me over the 75k AQM needed for 75k status (again, I already have the AQD for 75k status). When do you normally get to select your privileges for the next year?

Thanks in advance!
Old Oct 18, 2019, 9:11 pm

Programs: AC E50K, DL GM , Hyatt Glob.
Hey Grifter,

I recently had a similar question. here's the answer from AC (via email). My situation was E35k -> E50k (by ~late nov).

"
It is important to note that the Air Canada Altitude accumulation year runs from January 1st to December 31st of each year while the benefit year runs from March 1st to February 28th/29th of the following year.

You may qualify through early recognition starting at the 25K level if you have met the minimum requirements needed prior to October 31st. If qualified prior to October 31st you will receive your Altitude status and benefits immediately for the remainder of the benefit year.

If you reach status after October 31st, your status will be confirmed in the new year and start as of March 1st. You would not receive any benefits of that status until that time."
Old Oct 18, 2019, 9:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by homegrowned
"

If you reach status after October 31st, your status will be confirmed in the new year and start as of March 1st. You would not receive any benefits of that status until that time."
They have said that every year, and it was only true in 2013 when Altitude launched.

Every other year, they've done sweeps. You won't get any select privileges, but you will get the status.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 6:00 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow
They have said that every year, and it was only true in 2013 when Altitude launched.

Every other year, they've done sweeps. You won't get any select privileges, but you will get the status.
Thanks guys. So likely get the status, and then be able to select the privileges in February or beginning of March sometime for the 75k status.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 10:21 am

Programs: AC 50K, *A Gold
Took a TAP flight on Wednesday 16, supposed to push me past E35K, still hasn't posted as of Saturday 19th
Old Oct 19, 2019, 6:39 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Finally selected E50K benefits and selected the 50% aeroplan miles in that bundle, along with the eUps.
All the flying YTD was updated with that selection.

The retroactivity of benefit selections on Early Recognition has been discussed but we have not collected the information in the wiki.

Now, I find myself needing that information, as my E75K qualifying flight will post this week.

If I was to select the 35K for a friend, that benefit cannot be enjoyed retroactively, so I would be unhappy if the 50% AE miles from the YTD were clawed back. I don't mind those benefits stopping at the date of status change.

If the selection is retroactive and claws back the previous benefits, I have no choice but to take the 75% AE miles.

Has anyone made recent observations on this matter? (Could that be updated in the wiki?)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.