Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

how come I get asked to show my card at the MLL?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

how come I get asked to show my card at the MLL?

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2006, 4:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Just lick your card as you walk in...then they won't care to see it!
Old May 5, 2006, 5:26 am

Programs: AC LT E50K; AC*MM; SPG LT Gold
If you have status, that is going to show on your BP, regardless of what kind of fare you're travelling on. In my experience, at many MLLs, including LHR, that is accepted without question. However, YYZ been much stricter, and requires your card as well. Presumably, this is because of the higher incidence of folks trying to get in illigitimately. I've learned which places I'm likelyto need my card and which not.
Old May 5, 2006, 7:08 am

Programs: AC*E, Alaska MVP Gold, FPC Premier, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ckc
I believe upgraded to Exec class on SWU/SSWUs doesn't automatically give lounge access.
Also, I've been told the field where it indicates status beside your number is travel agent editable, meaning an unscrupulous TA can put SE when you're not!
ckc
If you upgraded with a SSWU, you are most certainly allowed into the MLL.
Old May 5, 2006, 7:46 am
CGK

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by Andrew Yiu
Not quite. Pass upgrades are booked in "J" class and your boarding pass will show as 'Executive Class' and no cert is required but a flight pass does not get you access to the MLL; it's your status that gets you access when you're flying on a flight pass whether in Y or J.
Now I understand why everytime I go to YVR MLL transborder, the agent wants my FFP card. He/she thinks perhaps I use flight pass.
And something I noticed, the agent is happier when I show the LH SEN or SQ card, but not UA 1K card.
Thanks!
Old May 5, 2006, 7:51 am
Company Representative - Air Canada

Originally Posted by ogmios
If you upgraded with a SSWU, you are most certainly allowed into the MLL.
No you're not. If a basic is upgraded by an E or SE that doesn't go into the MLL, they're not entitled to access.
Old May 5, 2006, 9:49 am

Amex AeroplanPlus Plat Card

I've always had to show the card together with my boarding pass.

I have heard that they now SWIPE the card.

Is this true?

Has anyone had their AeroplanPlus Card SWIPED upon entering MLL?

cheers,
Old May 5, 2006, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WindBeneathMyWings
I've always had to show the card together with my boarding pass.

I have heard that they now SWIPE the card.

Is this true?

Has anyone had their AeroplanPlus Card SWIPED upon entering MLL?

cheers,
I was through T1 MLL yesterday am.I have not had either card swiped by the MLL personnel.
Old May 6, 2006, 12:40 pm

Programs: AP (peon level)
Not true with Star Alliance??

Originally Posted by blue2002
People with J tickets can get in on the basis of their fare. Those may have been the ones ahead of you. If you were travelling on an upgrade, the agent was right to ask for your card. If you were travelling on a J-ticket... next time point it out to the agent.
I am only a peasant level AP member, but I occasionally travel on a paid executive ticket. I was flying to ORD once on UA in first class but when showed my boarding pass to the MLL desk, was told I wasn't allowed in.

Is this true?
Old May 6, 2006, 1:06 pm

Programs: AC Altitude E35K, *Silve, UA Premier Silver, Marriott Platinum, SPG Preferred Plus, a bunch of other
Originally Posted by Ford Prefect
I am only a peasant level AP member, but I occasionally travel on a paid executive ticket. I was flying to ORD once on UA in first class but when showed my boarding pass to the MLL desk, was told I wasn't allowed in.

Is this true?
Not totally sure, but I think that the UA flight would have to be an AC codeshare to get you into the lounge.... was it?
Old May 6, 2006, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by Andrew Yiu
If in doubt, the agent can easily just pull up the file to verify fare type & status and it shouldn't take more than a few secs.
If MLL agents can do this, why can't they help with seat assignments and issues with IROPs? Heck, they don't even like to tell me if a flight is running late!

I find the RCCs pretty sorry in most respects, but the RCC agents' ability to do this is a real bonus over MLL.
Old May 6, 2006, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK, I'll buy that a BP that says "executive" is not enough to get into an MLL. But why don't the YYZ folks trust the "SE" mention on the boarding pass? When I asked, the lady said it's not reliable.

Was this just the YYZ folks doing their best to be unpleasant, or is it AC policy? And if it is, why can't they just make it reliable? Surely this would fall within their bailyliff?
Old May 6, 2006, 7:24 pm

Programs: AC*SE, AC*MM, SPG Gold, FPC Plat, HHonors Diamond, PC Plat Elite, R&C Club 5C, Hyatt GP
Originally Posted by Stranger
But why don't the YYZ folks trust the "SE" mention on the boarding pass?
Because the code printed on the BP reflects your status when you purchased the ticket, which may not necessarily be your current status, particularly in March/April.
Old May 6, 2006, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by antirealist
Because the code printed on the BP reflects your status when you purchased the ticket, which may not necessarily be your current status, particularly in March/April.

???

Why?

What's the point? Why would they do that? Does it make any sense?
Old May 6, 2006, 9:21 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
???

Why?

The opposite happens when you purchase a ticket and move up a status level prior to departure. You have to call AC to re-enter your AP number into the PNR for the file to reflect your status.

I find I am asked to produce a card at all MLLs except YVR Dom.
Old May 7, 2006, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
???

Why?

This is a function of another "system limitation", that's all. Either that or they just want to make things difficult (which isn't a long shot)!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.