Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

OT: NWA to stop charging Elites for seats

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2006, 8:17 pm
At Large
Original Poster

In an article from Bloomberg in the Post today NWA has stopped charging elites for premium Y seats that can be picked at checkin.
Old Apr 21, 2006, 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by parnel
Where's my evangelist title gone?
maybe you need to have the respect and admiration of over 50% of other FT posters to get that
Old Apr 21, 2006, 10:15 pm

Programs: AC Elite/Star Alliance Gold
In an article from Bloomberg in the Post today NWA has stopped charging elites for premium Y seats that can be picked at checkin.
Yes, but we still can't get 'em until 24 h before the flight departure (check-in, as you mention), and by that time, our upgrades should have cleared anyway. All in all, this entire Roach Choice (er, Coach Choice) business equalled bad publicity amongst the elites, but it really hasn't been a massive deal since gold/plats usually/almost always get automatic FC upgrades. It did get embarrassing for NW, however, when some plats were not given seat assignments if the flight was almost full upon booking because the system requested them to pay an extra $15 for a RC seat, the only ones left. Not a good way to treat your plats.
Old Apr 22, 2006, 3:54 am
At Large
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Wardair A310
maybe you need to have the respect and admiration of over 50% of other FT posters to get that
Then I really would not want it
I like my peer group to have higher IQ's than displayed here
Old Apr 22, 2006, 9:44 am

NW's move to charge Elites for advanced access to premium (ie exit row) Y seats caused lots of bad will. However to bring this thread to an AC perspective - AC Elites don't have preferred access to exit row seats (even for a fee) so the NW "roach choice" option was still better than AC on this variable.

Shows however what happens when you remove what are perceived benefits from FFs. Let the yelling begin. Glad to see that NW backed down.
Old Apr 22, 2006, 10:15 am
At Large
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tractor Boy
NW's move to charge Elites for advanced access to premium (ie exit row) Y seats caused lots of bad will. However to bring this thread to an AC perspective - AC Elites don't have preferred access to exit row seats (even for a fee) so the NW "roach choice" option was still better than AC on this variable.

Shows however what happens when you remove what are perceived benefits from FFs. Let the yelling begin. Glad to see that NW backed down.

That's not quite true...if a SE or E books an economy seat there are separate rows reserved for us.
Old Apr 22, 2006, 11:06 am

That's not quite true...if a SE or E books an economy seat there are separate rows reserved for us.
To be fair, if I understand JMB_YEG's post, this is only true within 24hrs of departure on NW, whilst AC keeps those upfront rows for SE/E/P & Latitude-fare customers until checkin begins (12hrs), so day-of-flight it is still first come, first serve (restricted rows excepted).
Old Apr 22, 2006, 11:09 am

Now tell us the part about the seat pitch on those special rows.
Old Apr 22, 2006, 11:36 am

I think what I said is correct - that AC Elites don't have preferred access to exit row seats.

I know AC status members have access to the front rows of Y but not to exit rows unless I am mistaken. Both programs have their plus/minuses - the point I was making is that NW elites have been raising heck because of their perception that a benefit is being removed. Taking a benefit away (whatever it may be) always seems to be more of an issue than a benefit that has never been there (as in the case of exit row availability for AC Elites).
Old Apr 22, 2006, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
I just booked and bought some NW flights Thursday. The Roach Choice seats (only a handful) are non-EE rows (about 2-5 rows behind doors 2) and the EE seats by doors 4 on a 753. Didn't try to see if I could get them as there were better seats available to me. As a FB G/ ST E+, I could - after finding the infamous backdoor - secure myself emergency exits (and all the P seats reserved for elites) by 2R.

So NW allows ST elites online access to EE seats. AA also allows its elites online access to EE seats.
Both with the usual suitability conditions.
Old Apr 22, 2006, 12:52 pm
At Large
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PunishedEdmontonian

You tell me they are your favorite seats
Old Apr 22, 2006, 12:54 pm
At Large
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tractor Boy
I think what I said is correct - that AC Elites don't have preferred access to exit row seats.

I know AC status members have access to the front rows of Y but not to exit rows unless I am mistaken. Both programs have their plus/minuses - the point I was making is that NW elites have been raising heck because of their perception that a benefit is being removed. Taking a benefit away (whatever it may be) always seems to be more of an issue than a benefit that has never been there (as in the case of exit row availability for AC Elites).
Your record is still 100% negative posts
Old Apr 22, 2006, 5:44 pm

Your record is still 100% negative posts
Please.. that's like me saying your record is 100% "well-reasoned" posts
Old Apr 22, 2006, 7:41 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by Wardair A310
Wardair contributes again
Old Apr 22, 2006, 9:02 pm

Programs: AC Elite/Star Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by PunishedEdmontonian

Usual cattle class configs. That is why NW elites are so hell-bent on 100% upgrade stats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.