Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Internet on AC flights?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2006, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Question Internet on AC flights?

Does anyone know if AC is planning to offer internet onboard?
Old Mar 6, 2006, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
AC was one of the first carriers to offer the TANZING (?) service but it never seemed to catch on and got lost in planning priorities during bankrutcy restructuring. As AC has made a major commitment to new Boeing equipment, I would not be surprised to see that company's new system being installed on AC's new 777s and 787s, and perhaps the refurbished 763s.
Old Mar 6, 2006, 11:04 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Plat, VS Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
tenzing
Old Mar 6, 2006, 11:56 am

Programs: Aeroplan Elite BA Blue
Originally Posted by oopsz
sherpa tenzing
Old Mar 6, 2006, 12:13 pm

Programs: AC down to Orange lol, Marriott Silver?
I think LH has it but not AC.
Old Mar 6, 2006, 12:20 pm

Programs: AC SE, Hilton Gold, Starwood Plat, Hertz PC
I flew Lufthansa FRA to PDX last week and had internet all the way. It sure was nice as I was able to get alot of work done. Flynet they call it.

Air Canada needs to get internet if they want to lure the overseas passengers for sure, along with several other upgrades which has been discussed to death on this forum.
Old Mar 6, 2006, 12:31 pm

Programs: AC*SE, Hyatt Diamond, Priority Club Platinum, Hertz Presidents Club
I remember hearing somewhere (news or newpaper) that internet on airplanes will not be coming to Canada anytime soon as Transport Canada Regulations prohibit the equipment. They still don't allow cell phones after landing until the seatbelt sign is off. On US flights you can use cell phones right after landing.
Old Mar 6, 2006, 12:50 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The following link lists the carriers/flights, where Boeing's solution ("Connexion") is currently offered: http://www.ConnexionByBoeing.com/ind...le&l=en.US&ec=
Old Mar 6, 2006, 1:05 pm

Programs: SPG - Platinum, Hertz - 5 Star
Does anybody know if Tenzing is the fore-runner to Boeings offering, or did Boeing get to inflight broad band by another channel? I remember playing with Tenzing on YVR-YYZ back in 2001 and was completely wowed by the ability to get e-mail in flight at what appeared to by ISDN like speeds.

Just curious.

DF
Old Mar 6, 2006, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by StarAlliance2005
Does anyone know if AC is planning to offer internet onboard?
Yes they are, and it is being researched.
Old Mar 6, 2006, 3:59 pm

Programs: AC*SE/2.1MM, Flying Blue Explorer, BA Executive Club Blue, AAdvantage Basic, ANA MC
I recall Montie giving us some info in AUG 2005 onboard the EMB75, but I can't remember the specifics I was looking at the nice view of Niagara Falls

Doc Fraud, acysb87, parnel ? Any thoughts ?
Old Mar 7, 2006, 4:29 am

Programs: SPG-Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by NordsFan
I recall Montie giving us some info in AUG 2005 onboard the EMB75, but I can't remember the specifics I was looking at the nice view of Niagara Falls

And what was her name?...Oupsss...you're refering to the Falls...not Niagara!
Old Mar 7, 2006, 5:40 am

Programs: SPG - Platinum, Hertz - 5 Star
Originally Posted by NordsFan

He was saying that in flight internet was going to be his answer to providing IFE content in the future. The problem as he saw it was that the Boeing service was too expensive and not controlled by AC, so he was holding out to see what alternatives would show up on the market. He figured that by waiting awhile, he could get better service for less money.

IIRC

DF
Old Mar 7, 2006, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
SK has been offering it along with the TV service. There are some posts to FT from inflight users on the "Cheap China Fare" thread. It is part of their upgrade of C and for the first month is being offered at half price: about U$15 for the duration of the flight (once outside Chinese airspace).

There could be some regulatory issues regarding accessing a foreign service over Canadian airspace that would not apply once outside the country. This could be one element of AC's delayed decision-making.

I also wonder about the cost-effectiveness and economics of this technology. Did inflight phones ever make money? I seldom saw anyone use them -- I did once on CP to make a res change, but I think it was a toll-free promotion -- and AC has pretty much scrapped them. If 20 people on each flight use the technology at $30 a shot, that's just $1,200 a plane per day (longhaul scenario). What's the installation and equipment cost? Ongoing maintenace and signal distribution, split with the airline?
Old Mar 7, 2006, 7:36 am

Programs: several
What's that USB jack under the IFE screen on the new Embraers for? Does it do anything?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.