Book through Destina or Dollar Site?

Old Nov 7, 05, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Book through Destina or Dollar Site?

I need to make a car rental booking around Christmas time. Almost everywhere is sold out except for 2-3 companies. Dollar has the best prices for our dates and mid/full size cars. The Destina and Dollar sites both quote the same rate but I want to know which I should book with. I want the extra AP miles so Destina wins there but haven't people here had problems with bookings on Destina.ca? The flights also have the same pricing (on AC). Is it a safe bet to book with Destina.ca so I can get the extra miles or should I just booke on the AC site and Dollar site?

Thanks
Old Nov 7, 05, 4:37 pm

Programs: AC*E50K; AC*MM; EK Gold; SPG Plat
I think Destina is OK for simple bookings. I've not had any problem with car rentals, and they seem to be using the same booking engine as AC.com, so you should be safe there.
Old Nov 7, 05, 4:44 pm

Avoid Destina

I would not book on Destina. The few miles are not worth the trouble in case you have a problem. I learned the hard way with a hotel booking. Hotel had switched room type. We are not talking about room size or bed type we are talking about a room with no AC in Rio de Janerio 40 degree weather!

When I called Destina to complain I was connected to their call centre in India where they were clue-less to say the least. The language barrier was also a problem.

In the end I had to get my credit card company to assist me since Destina after 2 weeks had not even contacted me back as all the managers are located in Montreal and have to relayed the message from India.

Stay away....
Old Nov 7, 05, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

What about basic airfare booking?
Old Nov 7, 05, 4:57 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG
Originally Posted by fromYYZ_flyer
I once booked my Dad a ticket on AC through Destina since he would receive bonus miles for booking through Destina. The miles from AC for the flights posted normally. The Destina miles did not.

I had to fight for 18 months to get those miles credited. Call after call to India lead nowhere when finally I was able to get the name and contact of a senior manager at Destina in Montreal. On through that channel and with much persistence did I finally get my Dad the considerable miles he was owed. I even convinced Destina to give us extra for the troubles -- to Destina's credit they doubled the miles he was due.

But ever since then I have never booked through Destina. Period.

YMMV but Caveat Emptor!!!
Old Nov 7, 05, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC E75K 2MM former 14-year SE; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
I personally would avoid going through a third party like Destina. Since you are a more knowledgeable than the typical Joe Flyer, I'd say just go with the two separate bookings directly with the vendor.

Having said that though, this is only my opinion. There are probably some benefits of booking everything with Destina but I would say that overall the advantages of not booking with them far outweigh the disadvantages.
Old Nov 7, 05, 5:08 pm

I was charged twice for the same flights when I last booked on Destina, several years ago. I don't know if things have improved since then -- I have no intention of booking with them again to find out.
Old Nov 7, 05, 5:19 pm
Original Poster

Alright, will book on AC.com/Dollar.com. I think I earn 1 mile per $2 spent too.
Old Nov 7, 05, 11:51 pm

Alright, will book on AC.com/Dollar.com. I think I earn 1 mile per $2 spent too.
AC.com is Destina for Car and hotel bookings. Book directly with dollar.com.

Search this Thread