Wiki Posts
Search

6:1 SWUs for a SSWU

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2005, 5:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K; HH Gold; SPG Gold
6:1 SWUs for a SSWU

I know this is a shot in the dark given the recent high demand, but is anyone keen on receiving 6 SWUs to give up 1 SSWU. I have researched past posts and this seems to be the current going rate. I am short for a LHR run in February, and wanted to give any potential traders plenty of time to use the SWUs. If there is no interest, donations to The Winger will follow (but don't tell him that ). Please PM if interested.
Old Nov 1, 2005, 8:53 pm

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
Grr Marc Tacchi
Old Nov 1, 2005, 10:10 pm

Programs: AC-SE, SPG-Gold
Gumshoe, YGPM...

Decompression
Old Nov 1, 2005, 10:13 pm

I will also trade 6:1, if anyone still needs SWUs. Actually, I'll throw in 4 NAUs too!
Old Nov 1, 2005, 11:15 pm
Suspended

I have traded for pretty much all the SSWU I need. I am out of the market (expect for pending trades).. I think the rate will lower it self back down.
Old Nov 2, 2005, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
I do need SSWU's, I have SWU, NA ug certs, United drink coupons, MLL Lounge access coupons and of course the Duty free coupn. I need at least 8 SSWU's. Hope there are members out there who have excess. Thanks a million.
Old Nov 2, 2005, 7:13 am

Programs: UA1K2MM ACMME50 SQPPS HHDiamond Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
I do need SSWU's, I have SWU, NA ug certs, United drink coupons, MLL Lounge access coupons and of course the Duty free coupn. I need at least 8 SSWU's. Hope there are members out there who have excess. Thanks a million.
I have 6 SSWWU, 4 SSWU,mine 2 SWWU my husband's and I will receive 2SSWU in Nov,as end of October, I cross the 75,000 level.
However, I do not want AC SWU, between myself & my husband we have over 10.As for UA Drink coupons I have my 101K & about 50 RCC.
I need UA SWU or *Wood points.So if you have any of these two, will trade.
As all my and my husband's travel is accounted for the year, will not need the AC SSWU.
Old Nov 2, 2005, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
I need at least 8 SSWU's. Hope there are members out there who have excess. Thanks a million.

Can always rely on you to give me a morning laugh. My NATIONAL PEST hasn't arrived yet, so this post will have to do.

Seems like we're back the situation we had a few years ago when SWUs became next to useless to most people on this forum. And the term AeroWallpaper started to appear with increasing frequency.

Good luck, to all seeking 'em. I wonder if we might not be into a period of Futures Contracts: folks passing along current SSWUs for next year's, something I had been musing about for a while. Can't see Princess getting many 1K UA SWUs from folks around here who'd have a need for AC SSWUs so hers look like they'll expire a natural death... (SPG points are pretty hard to come by unless one got those hefty bonuses for the Mastercard, and I for one never felt a SSWU was worth 10K SPG points for a top end night's stay.)

But it is good to know mtacchi now has met his quota and the market can return to some degree of stability, semi-normalcy, and any surplus SSWUs can be spread around more equitably. Thanks for advising one and all Marc.
Old Nov 2, 2005, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Indeed SSWUs are a precious commodity.

The four that I now have are earmarked for MRs to LHR in Jan 06.
Old Nov 2, 2005, 8:39 am

Programs: UA1K2MM ACMME50 SQPPS HHDiamond Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Good luck, to all seeking 'em. I wonder if we might not be into a period of Futures Contracts: folks passing along current SSWUs for next year's, something I had been musing about for a while. Can't see Princess getting many 1K UA SWUs from folks around here who'd have a need for AC SSWUs so hers look like they'll expire a natural death... (SPG points are pretty hard to come by unless one got those hefty bonuses for the Mastercard, and I for one never felt a SSWU was worth 10K SPG points for a top end night's stay.)
Dave,
My SWWU came by with a hefty price. Few j-Class on SQ with points parked at AP. AP made money from SQ.
If I can trade them for a reasonable trade I will just give them to my husband's friends who are elite for their medical meetings to Asia. They can deal with aerolotto.
Old Nov 2, 2005, 8:43 am

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
Holy mackeral, what is is with SSWUs? Are they made of gold? Are the fare differences that great between what a SWU and SSWU gets you?
Old Nov 2, 2005, 9:35 am

Programs: AC Elite
Wink SSWU more like platinum...

Originally Posted by taupo
Holy mackeral, what is is with SSWUs? Are they made of gold? Are the fare differences that great between what a SWU and SSWU gets you?
Yep, about $500 per ticket for me. I'll probably play the SSWU trade game later this year. And the cost is usually about $95 each ($USD) on e-Bay where an SWU is about $7 each.

Given that an SSWU is printed on about 24lb paper,and there's three to a page, the actual weight of an SSWU is about (24 pounds / 2000 sheets / 3 certs/sheet)*(454 grams/pound) = 1.82 grams/certificate

A troy ounce is 31.1 grams, so there is 17.1 certificates in a ounce. At an $88 difference per certificate, an SSWU is worth about $USD1,500 per ounce.

Platinum is trading at about $930/oz, so you could say that an SSWU is worth more than its weight in platinum!

Last edited by boymimbo; Nov 2, 2005 at 9:37 am
Old Nov 2, 2005, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K; HH Gold; SPG Gold
Indeed, the exchange appears high. In my case however, I have kept my Aeroplan allegiance while living in Denver; the 35K *G being the deciding factor versus 50K on UA. It follows that living in Denver means nearly all of my business travel is on UA. I have no use for AC SWUs. I do make 2 or 3 personnel runs a year to LHR on AC. Therefore, trading useless for very useful makes sense in my case. Would I prefer a 3:1 rate? Sure...I could have got 2 SSWUs, but "what the market will bear"...if I had asked for a 3:1 rate, I would have be laughed off the board.
Old Nov 2, 2005, 9:51 am

Programs: AS MVPG, AC E, HH Diamond
Many of us who work for small businesses and primarily fly in North America are constrained by our company's travel policy. I can buy T+ fares but they won't pay almost 3x more for Latitude (i.e, YVR-IAD $273 T+ vs $1010 Lat). So the only way I travel upfront is with a SSWU, which as has been pointed out, are as rare as hen's teeth these days. Many other people have voiced the same concern. The result is that there is a glut of unused and unwanted SWUs at this time of year. The The next best alternative for me is to fly UA which has E+ seats.

BTW, I still have 12 SWUs and 4 NAs to trade. PM me if interested.
Old Nov 2, 2005, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
They are for NAmerican trips since the gap between TANGO+ and L can be as much as $400 each way on a YEG/YYC/YVR transcon from YYZ/YOW/YUL/YHZ. For overseas flights, the difference from a Q or even L fare to an H is actually less to most destinations. And of course, travel time can be twice as long on overseas flights, so in the end an SWU is worth relatively more, and is more useful.

That's why I've always contended AE is extremely biased towards those who fly internationally over those who fly NAmerica/domestic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.