Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

OT: Canjet stops operating Toronto-Vancouver

Old Oct 18, 2005, 8:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP

Looks like Canjet is pulling the plug on its YYZ-YVR route. The Vancouver flights has been non-bookable on canjet.com since mid last week. The YVR flights are pulled from their online schedules as well.

So, basically YVR service stops operating in early November. Anyone who booked themselves on Canjet in mid-November and onward should call the airline.
Old Oct 18, 2005, 8:20 pm

This is a real bummer. I had two family members booked for December to YHZ. How do they usually handle this? Refund or protection on another carrier?
Old Oct 18, 2005, 8:23 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Usually through bankruptcy protection
Old Oct 18, 2005, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IluvSQ
Usually through bankruptcy protection
It is not a case of bankruptcy; it is simply a route that is cancelled. Since the airline is still solvent, they should be able to either refund the fare or book on another airline.
Old Oct 18, 2005, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AE
If they can't make a go of that premier transcon route (sans Jetsgo) , you have to wonder how much longer they'll be with us.
Old Oct 21, 2005, 6:40 am

Programs: AA, AS, CX, BA, AC, DL
Theres a bit in today's Globe on this (B6) , but CJ claims they will restart YVR in April or May. Not too good to leave pax in the lurch.
Old Oct 21, 2005, 7:16 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by LeSabre74
If they can't make a go of that premier transcon route (sans Jetsgo) , you have to wonder how much longer they'll be with us.
Canjet will be around for a long time. Ken Rowe, the owner, is one very shrewd businessman. No doubt he is cancelling it so it does not cost him money and push him towards insolvency.

As for it being a premier route, not sure that is the case for them. They are an eastcoast airline, not national... (and yes I know they have national routes, but that is not their core and not where their most loyal passengers come from)
Old Oct 21, 2005, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here is the small blurb in the G&M

Originally Posted by brm744
Theres a bit in today's Globe on this (B6) , but CJ claims they will restart YVR in April or May. Not too good to leave pax in the lurch.
"CanJet Airlines has cancelled its daily Toronto-Vancouver route just four months after launching the flights. The route, originally touted as a breakthrough in Western Canada, will be scrubbed after the final flight on Nov. 6, CanJet spokesman Wayne Morrison said yesterday. Based on advance ticket sales, passenger loads would have been too small to make the service viable this winter, especially with high jet fuel bills, he said. CanJet may revive the route in April, but in the meantime passengers are being offered refunds on cancelled tickets. The Halifax-based carrier will scale back its twice-daily flights on the Toronto-Calgary route to once daily, but will add extra flights over the Christmas holidays between Halifax and Deer Lake, Nfld., Mr. Morrison said"
Old Oct 21, 2005, 7:41 am

Canjet said the same thing after pulling out of its YHM-YUL/YOW routes.
Old Oct 21, 2005, 7:45 am

Programs: AA, AS, CX, BA, AC, DL
Originally Posted by airbus320
"but in the meantime passengers are being offered refunds on cancelled tickets. "
so if you thought you had tickets for Nov 8 to YVR, now you're stuck scrambling for something else at a hefty premium? Lame. Crappy PR machine there.
Old Oct 21, 2005, 7:58 am

Programs: Sans souci
Originally Posted by MapleLeaf
Canjet will be around for a long time. Ken Rowe, the owner, is one very shrewd businessman ...
I see it that way too. Mr. Rowe is shrewd indeed.

This line from their spokesperson reveals their regional roots (routes, too, I suppose ) "... but will add extra flights over the Christmas holidays between Halifax and Deer Lake, Nfld., Mr. Morrison said."
Old Oct 21, 2005, 10:01 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan
The 737-500 is not transcon capable westbound with winter head winds.

This was entirely predictable.

They picked the wrong aircraft to be a true coast to coast operator.
Old Oct 21, 2005, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by Girard737
The 737-500 is not transcon capable westbound with winter head winds.

This was entirely predictable.

They picked the wrong aircraft to be a true coast to coast operator.
Why would they take bookings for YYZ-YVR all winter then if surely they knew this beforehand?
Old Oct 21, 2005, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
If I was Canjet, I would have come to some sort of code-share arrangement with HMY for the winter months. You'd think HMY would welcome the added load and that way CanJet doesn't leave customers in the lurch.
Old Oct 21, 2005, 12:22 pm

Programs: LH, BA, KE
Originally Posted by The Lev
If I was Canjet, I would have come to some sort of code-share arrangement with HMY for the winter months. You'd think HMY would welcome the added load and that way CanJet doesn't leave customers in the lurch.
That's a good idea.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.