Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Get set for higher air fares, says RM

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2005, 8:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2...13523-sun.html

OTTAWA -- Canadians should prepare to pay more for airline tickets, but rising fuel costs won't likely cripple Canada's largest carrier.
Old Sep 12, 2005, 10:18 am
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Jets-go......... GONE will have a bigger impact that fuel costs. RM really jumped up flight costs after that.Asia seems cheaper today than it was last year??? So how does RM think he will bump up prices. MU has got amazing rates to China.
Old Sep 12, 2005, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Does this really consitute "news"? RM and every other airline president has said this at every speech for the past several years. What else is new?

As for certain fares, HKG has actually dropped as AC established its new default fare in H, and cutting the base price by about $300 over what H fares were going for earlier this decade. [Remember all those threads about where to find discounted H fares that Andrew posted?] Of course, there are the fuel supplements that book the actual cost. And foreign airlines can offer cheaper fares because they don't offer the frequency, and have far cheaper labour costs, not to mention national origin fuel prices that dwarf our free market ones. But same goes for most destinations worldwide. If you want a cheap flight to somewhere in Africa, book Ethiopian or some similar national carrier.
Old Sep 12, 2005, 12:08 pm
ALW

not to mention national origin fuel prices that dwarf our free market ones
If AC goes somewhere with cheap gas, why don't they fill up while they're there?

=aw
Old Sep 12, 2005, 12:46 pm
exAC

Originally Posted by Andrew Webber
If AC goes somewhere with cheap gas, why don't they fill up while they're there?

=aw
They do on short segments. Two things make this a costly or cost effective bargain.

1. There is a cost of 5% per hour for every litre of extra fuel carried. A ten hour flight means that 50% of the tankered fuel is consumed just to get it to the destination.

2. Long haul flights do not have very much extra room for fuel versus payload.

Old Sep 12, 2005, 1:14 pm
ALW

Thanks for confirming that, it's what I figured.

My response was to SH's claim that foreign carriers can offer cheaper fares to Canada because they have cheaper fuel. Shurely the flight into Canada (outbound for the foreign carrier, inbound for AC) is powered by cheap foreign fuel, and the flight from Canada (inbound for the foreign carrier, outbound for AC) is powered by the same expensive sold-in-Canada fuel, for both carriers?

I couldn't figure out how he was saying that (e.g.) CX can fly a plane HKG-YVR-HKG on cheaper fuel than AC can fly a plane YVR-HKG-HKG.

=aw
Old Sep 12, 2005, 8:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver
In a related story:

http://www.canada.com/businesscentre...1-e4195f1fb1ec

MONTREAL (CP) - The International Air Transport Association has announced a revised industry loss forecast of $7.4 billion US for the world's airlines this year in the light of skyrocketing oil prices.
Old Sep 13, 2005, 12:37 pm

Programs: AC Elite
Question

Originally Posted by tcook052
In a related story:

http://www.canada.com/businesscentre...1-e4195f1fb1ec

MONTREAL (CP) - The International Air Transport Association has announced a revised industry loss forecast of $7.4 billion US for the world's airlines this year in the light of skyrocketing oil prices.
I kind of don't get this. Why can't the airlines pass this cost to the customer? If I am using 200L of fuel on a flight and that cost is $.88 liter and the airline budgeted $.50/L, shouldn't I be paying $76 as a fuel surcharge? I'd be willing to accept this. If airlines are undercutting each other and not passing on the costs to the customer, p*ss on them, they should go bankrupt. Sorry. Oil companies pass on the costs, why shouldn't airlines?
Old Sep 13, 2005, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Andrew Webber
My response was to SH's claim that foreign carriers can offer cheaper fares to Canada because they have cheaper fuel. Shurely the flight into Canada (outbound for the foreign carrier, inbound for AC) is powered by cheap foreign fuel, and the flight from Canada (inbound for the foreign carrier, outbound for AC) is powered by the same expensive sold-in-Canada fuel, for both carriers?
That's exactly what I though as well since for long hauls (regardless of the carrier) they would have to fuel for the outbound and then refuel for the return.
Old Sep 13, 2005, 6:19 pm

Programs: SPG - Platinum, Hertz - 5 Star
Originally Posted by Shareholder
........ And foreign airlines can offer cheaper fares because they don't offer the frequency, and have far cheaper labour costs, not to mention national origin fuel prices that dwarf our free market ones. .....r.

How does foreign fuel = cheaper, unless it is heavily subsidized by some entity?? I mean unless you are and airline originating in an OPEC nation?? When I go to Europe my eyes water when I look at fuel prices??

DF

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.