Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada - Frankfurt Rail and Fly

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2005, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Has anyone used the service alluded to here:

http://www1.frankfurt-airport.com/cm..._frankfurt.htm

and here:

http://www1.frankfurt-airport.com/cm..._stuttgart.htm

It would seem to imply I should be able to fly on Air Canada and connect direct to a Stuttgart train -- all on one ticket? Or is that only with Lufthansa flights...?
Old Aug 9, 2005, 2:36 pm

Can't answer your question, although I am quite worried about this found elsewhere on the same website:

The taxi driver knows his way round and will "automatically" take you to the right terminal and put you down near your check-in desk.
The quotes make me somewhat suspicious of what they mean by "automatically". When they tell me that I'll be put down, it only makes me more confused I think I'll take the train next time I'm in Frankfurt.
Old Aug 9, 2005, 2:58 pm
Suspended

Has anyone ever got Aeroplan miles for these LH "flights"
Old Aug 9, 2005, 4:48 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
It would seem to imply I should be able to fly on Air Canada and connect direct to a Stuttgart train -- all on one ticket? Or is that only with Lufthansa flights...?
These codeshare "flights" appear to be bookable using LH's usual fares/booking classes:

[KVS Availability Tool - Amadeus: AUA/*A]
Code:
FRA  Frankfurt Metro / Frankfurt Int'l DE = FRA HHN [EDDF]
STR  Stuttgart Echterdingen DE [EDDS]
THU  01 Sep 2005

Carrier   Flight From Depart    To   Arrive    A/C  St Availability
--------- ------ ---- --------- ---- --------- ---- -- -------------------------------------------- 
LH/2A     6786   FRA  09:20     ZWS  10:33     ICE  0  C9 D9 Z9 Y2 B2 M2 H2 Q2 V2 W2 S0
LH/2A     6790   FRA  11:20     ZWS  12:33     ICE  0  C9 D9 Z9 Y1 B1 M1 H1 Q1 V1 W1 S0
LH/2A     6792   FRA  13:20     ZWS  14:33     ICE  0  C9 D9 Z9 Y9 B9 M9 H9 Q9 V9 W9 S0
LH/2A     6794   FRA  15:20     ZWS  16:32     ICE  0  C9 D9 Z9 Y9 B9 M9 H9 Q9 V9 W9 S0
LH/2A     6796   FRA  17:20     ZWS  18:33     ICE  0  C9 D9 Z9 Y1 B1 M1 H1 Q1 V1 W1 S0
LH/2A     6798   FRA  19:20     ZWS  20:33     ICE  0  C9 D9 Z9 Y9 B9 M9 H9 Q9 V9 W9 S0
LH/2A     6800   FRA  21:20     ZWS  22:48     ICE  0  C9 D9 Z9 Y9 B9 M9 H9 Q9 V9 W9 S0
Old Aug 9, 2005, 6:52 pm
Suspended

I know in the M&M program, you can earn miles for the train rides. They are referred to as AirRail. You even get the COS bonus.
Old Aug 10, 2005, 3:52 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, UA 1K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
Has anyone used the service alluded to here:

http://www1.frankfurt-airport.com/cm..._frankfurt.htm

and here:

http://www1.frankfurt-airport.com/cm..._stuttgart.htm

Yes, I have used Rail & Fly, although from Germany to Canada, but on AC. It is already a few years ago, but I remember that my paper ticket read "German Rail" as my first flight. At least out of FRA, Rail & Fly is available with virtually every airline serving FRA - the point is that your connection to/from FRA by regular train to/from any train station in Germany already paid for.

The links you posted refer to the AirRail service, so I am not sure if you are interested in Rail & Fly or AirRail.

Note that Rail & Fly is different to AirRail: AirRail refers to specific ICE (InterCityExpress) trains running between Cologne Main Station - FRA - Stuttgart Main Station - these trains can be booked with LH flight number and you will get AP miles (and 25% COS if you book Biz class), if I remeber correctly, your bags will also be checked through to your final destination as well, so you don't have to pick them up in FRA. On the return trip, you can also check-in in Cologone or Stuttgart and your bags can be picked up at your first point of entry in Canada.

With Rail & Fly, you have to carry your bags yourself to the ticket counter in FRA, and you also don't get any FF miles.

Last edited by ACflyerDE; Aug 10, 2005 at 3:57 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.