Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

should North America be split up into different reward zones?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2005, 5:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WS Platinum, former AC E35K

I was just thinking about the different reward level redemptions and the respective zones, both Asia and Europe have 2 different zones, while North America has only one. I don't think that it's fair that a route like YVR - YHZ is 25K/40K, where as a route of similar length like YHZ - LHR is 60K/85K, more than twice the mileage for a route of similar length. 60K/85K is a fair reward level for a route like YVR - LHR, but for YHZ - LHR I don't think it is. Any thoughts as to whether or not North America should be split up into different zones, or perhaps even 4 quadrants?
Old Apr 14, 2005, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I think its hard enough for most to figure out FF programs so no need to make it more complex. YHZ-LHR may appear to be a bad choice but is the airfare for this really different than YYZ-LHR? It may be higher! YHZ-HNL is a bargain when compared to YVR-HNL. It comes out as a wash, leave things be. You can rest assured that whenever changes are made the traveller will surely not come out on top.
Old Apr 14, 2005, 5:49 pm

Programs: SPG - Platinum, Hertz - 5 Star
Originally Posted by shore9
I was just thinking about the different reward level redemptions and the respective zones, both Asia and Europe have 2 different zones, while North America has only one. I don't think that it's fair that a route like YVR - YHZ is 25K/40K, where as a route of similar length like YHZ - LHR is 60K/85K, more than twice the mileage for a route of similar length. 60K/85K is a fair reward level for a route like YVR - LHR, but for YHZ - LHR I don't think it is. Any thoughts as to whether or not North America should be split up into different zones, or perhaps even 4 quadrants?
There is no direct correlation between distance and airfares, so why should one expect a correlation between points and distance? After all points are just another form of currency.

The true determinant of price is the old Keynesian Cross.

As for the multiple zones in NA, they already exist in the form of long haul and short haul zones.

Finally be careful what you ask for because you may find that by your logic YVR-LHR would increase to 75/100 from the current 60/80.

DF
Old Apr 14, 2005, 8:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WS Platinum, former AC E35K
Originally Posted by Doc Fraud
There is no direct correlation between distance and airfares, so why should one expect a correlation between points and distance? After all points are just another form of currency.

The true determinant of price is the old Keynesian Cross.

As for the multiple zones in NA, they already exist in the form of long haul and short haul zones.

Finally be careful what you ask for because you may find that by your logic YVR-LHR would increase to 75/100 from the current 60/80.

DF
I agree with you on there not being a correlation between prices and the distance, however in regards to multiple NA zones, it's not the same as Europe or Asia. You pay a flat rate to go from LHR to anywhere in North America. To go from say YYZ to anywhere in Europe you will face 2 different rates depending on how far into Europe you go. Also consider that the 2 European zones don't make up very much in comparison to the one big North American zone.
Old Apr 14, 2005, 9:15 pm

Programs: AA, AS, CX, BA, AC, DL
Bad idea. Leave it alone. Europe & Asia each have over 20 countries. North America? - 2.
Old Apr 14, 2005, 10:18 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by brm744
Bad idea. Leave it alone. Europe & Asia each have over 20 countries. North America? - 2.

Mexico is generally considered to be part of North American too. You might however, get an argument about considering Central American or the Caribbean as part of North America.
Old Apr 14, 2005, 11:28 pm

Programs: AS MVP
A program that does reward flights by distance is Asia Miles.

http://www.asiamiles.com/en/redeem/flights/charts/

In some cases, it works out better and in some cases, it works out worse using this system.

For system, ex-YVR

YVR-NRT or KIX only costs 45k for Econo and 60k for Business.
YVR-LHR also costs only 45k for Econo and 60k for Business.
Both are quite a bit less than what Aeroplan is charging

However,

YVR-SIN costs 90k for Econ (15k more than Aeroplan)
YVR-DFW costs 35k for Econ (10k more than Aeroplan)
YVR-MIA costs 45k for Econ (20k more than Aeroplan)
Old Apr 15, 2005, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by shore9
The quality of service one receives on a domestic long haul (especially in J) vs. one of similar length on an international flight is completely different.

Last edited by yyznomad; Apr 15, 2005 at 11:49 am
Old Apr 15, 2005, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And also based on your logic, each city pair should also have a different mileage redemption level...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.