Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Aeroplan sneaking behind my back to charge me more

Aeroplan sneaking behind my back to charge me more

Old Apr 8, 05, 12:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TalkBoard: We discuss / ad nauseum things that mean / so very little
Thumbs down Aeroplan sneaking behind my back to charge me more

I got a phone call from Aeroplan at home today but as I was at work, the message was relayed to me. (By the way, why don't they call my work number during the day?) I called Aeroplan back to find out what they were calling me about. I gave the agent my booking number (for a D-class award flight next month) and I am told that I owe them money and that my credit card was declined.

Flash back nearly a year: I originally booked this flight back in July 2004, just before the reward prices went up, and had recently changed my outbound flight dates. Having to pay $220+ for taxes and fees was an annoyance, but no big deal. Having to pay the $25+GST booking fee was an annoyance, but no big deal. (I have a stopover and at the time, one couldn't book award itineraries with stopovers online.)

Being the procrastinator I am, when I recently needed to change my outbound flight dates, I didn't do it until after the "new, improved" change fee came into effect, and so had to pay $55+GST. (I believe the fee for just date changes used to be only $25+GST.) Still no big deal.

Back to today: Apparently I owe them money. (Is this what they call add/collect?) My credit card was declined. So why do I owe money? I am told that when I changed the reservation, the ticket had to be reissued, and thus all the taxes and fees are recalculated for the date I made the change. The new taxes + fees add up to $270+, so that means I owe them the difference of $50-something. Still, no big deal.

No big deal, if they had told me at the time that I called to make the change. What's more, the reason my credit card was declined was that the credit card I had used to make the original booking no longer exists (since that time, I changed to a different type of Visa) and that's why they called me.

What irks me about the whole thing are two things in combination. 1) I was not informed about the additional taxes/fees. It was not disclosed to me that the taxes and fees would be recalculated from scratch. 2) They attempted to charge my credit card for the additional amount behind my back. I would not have known until I saw the charge appear on my credit card statement. I only found out because I had changed credit cards and they couldn't get money.

I asked the Aeroplan agent I spoke to today if I could speak to a supervisor. After several minutes on hold, I was told by her that she couldn't reach the supervisor and so she took down my phone number and left a voice mail for the supervisor (after several more minutes of me on hold). I am supposed to hear back from the supervisor within 48 hours.

I'm not too pleased about the way they are handling this. It's not that I object to having to pay the change fees or even the difference on the taxes and fees, but rather the way they would just charge me for this without telling me.

FewMiles..
Old Apr 8, 05, 6:29 am

Programs: AC LT E50K; AC*MM; SPG LT Gold
Welcome to the wonderful world of err... Aeroplan . That's what you get for emerging from AA.
Old Apr 8, 05, 7:34 am

Programs: AC-2MM & 75K
Don't expect to hear from a supervisor. They are notorious for not returning phone calls. On the other hand, they need something from you....
Old Apr 8, 05, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
The Supervisors's do return the call if you have status, I received a call from one of them and they were pretty helpful.
Old Apr 8, 05, 8:38 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Platinum
Did they re-issue the tickets already? If so then I might just sit tight and ride it out, especially if I had paper ones in my hands.
Old Apr 8, 05, 9:11 am

I've always thought that it was no coincidence that Aeroplan and Destina were as cozy as they are (Destina staff running over to Aeroplan's offices in order to get advice, etc...), so it isn't any surprise to hear that Aeroplan is operating in exactly the same way as Destina did/does (futzing with the pax's ccard without auth, ticketing suddenly "deciding" to charge more after the agent has sent it to them for issuance, when the agent you spoke with on line was correct in the first place. You figure out what's going on there, since I ain't gonna write it.). I'm now waiting to start hearing these same types of stories vis a vis the new and inferior Air Canada website. RM obviously isn't going to do something about this garbage anytime soon. Guess the special line for reporting fraud etc.. we heard about a few days ago was another load of bull from the boss...
Old Apr 8, 05, 11:18 am

2 of my biggest problems with Aeroplan: hidden, unannounced costs on reward tix, (that add up quickly), unresponsive to inquiries.

Also, reward availability stinks.
Old Apr 8, 05, 5:32 pm

Programs: AC-2MM & 75K
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
The Supervisors's do return the call if you have status, I received a call from one of them and they were pretty helpful.
I have not had much occaision to speak to a supervisor, butwhen I do it's a 50/50 chance of getting to speak to one. When it's a call-back situation its about 75/25 against.

My worst example is:

I was denied boarding in Mexico a couple of years ago in a situation where Mexicana was totally at fault and admitted so (lack of training they said). I am still waiting for a supervisor to call me back. I have written directly to R. Milton about this three times and am still waiting for a reply. It's so strange. I think they just don't know what to do about it. I am thinking of writing to the ombudsman at conde nast mag or whatever mag it is.
Old Apr 8, 05, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TalkBoard: We discuss / ad nauseum things that mean / so very little
To update the situation, I did receive a phone call (well, voice mail, since I was dashing in and out of my office all day today) from the supervisor. However, as I was pretty busy, I didn't get a chance to return the call.

FewMiles..

Search this Thread
Search Engine: