FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   More Air Canada Spin (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/418298-more-air-canada-spin.html)

dbyyz Apr 4, 2005 9:10 pm

More Air Canada Spin

Is anyone else insulted by AC's dishonest marketing spin. The latest one is in the recent En Route Magazine, where they spin the introduction of Club Class as a service enhancement. This is as Orwellian as the enhancement of the meal service, by introducing "reasonably priced, restaurant quality meals." If there was an award for Orwellian marketing bullsh*t these guys would take the prize.

dbyyz Apr 4, 2005 9:11 pm

Ooops, I forgot about "angled, lie-flat seats!"

yyznomad Apr 4, 2005 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by dbyyz
"reasonably priced, restaurant quality meals." If there was an award for Orwellian marketing bullsh*t these guys would take the prize.

Then in the fineprint footnotes, you'll see it says "quality is equivalent to that of Denny's".

YOWkid Apr 4, 2005 9:19 pm

Well, that is "restaurant quality"... that's if you consider Denny's a ... restaurant...

yyznomad Apr 4, 2005 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by YOWkid
Well, that is "restaurant quality"... that's if you consider Denny's a ... restaurant...

hey, I like my Moons Over My Hammy! :p

YOWkid Apr 4, 2005 9:24 pm

No wonder why you still need to wear that "Date me" sign.

:p :D

tcook052 Apr 4, 2005 9:36 pm

Haven't we been through this whole advertising spin debate fairly recently? It's hard to single AC out as a creator of evil with much more flagrant examples around, like realtors: you can't hear the TV in your condo whenever a bus goes by, but it's spun as 'being close to transportation routes'. Comfy & cozy mean the place is worn our & tiny. So AC stretches things, isn't that what's advertising is all about?

Simon Apr 4, 2005 9:40 pm

This is as Orwellian as the enhancement of the meal service, by introducing "reasonably priced, restaurant quality meals."

How is that not an enhancement?

Other than certain locally present bottom feeders :D has not the following happened?

(a) prices in the back have gone down
(b) food quality, in the form of BOB, has gone up?

Total price if you want flight+meal < before, total quality of food > before

?

Luubert Apr 5, 2005 5:34 am

Originally Posted by YOWkid
No wonder why you still need to wear that "Date me" sign.

:p :D

That kind of statement and you didn't even PM me? ;) :D :D

acysb87 Apr 5, 2005 6:01 am

Originally Posted by tcook052
So AC stretches things, isn't that what's advertising is all about?

IMO,that is exactly how it works.

CanFlyboy Apr 5, 2005 6:03 am

No!

No, not insulted.....its what we come to expect from the folks at AP.
Wait, let me have a brainstorm......they might want to Spin off AP as a separate company to make money......the easiest way being (you guessed it), increase the hype and reduce the services provided to loyal members.

I know lots of business people who have accumulated tonnes of milages without flying by using their credit cards to pay business expenses (we are taking like $100,000s-$1 million per year). These are the people AP will be catering to in the future.......not the lowly FF.

CFB

ChrisA330 Apr 5, 2005 9:36 am

Is anyone else insulted by AC's dishonest marketing spin. The latest one is in the recent En Route Magazine, where they spin the introduction of Club Class as a service enhancement. This is as Orwellian as the enhancement of the meal service, by introducing "reasonably priced, restaurant quality meals." If there was an award for Orwellian marketing bullsh*t these guys would take the prize.

Actually, the overall AC Club product has been improved. MLL access, 125% booking bonus, exec check in, increased luggage allowance.

While the inflight product is only marginally improved, the overall product I would say is a marked improvement over the old SuperComfort.

Doc Fraud Apr 5, 2005 9:48 am

Domestic J by any other name.... without the price tag... that is if you're not upgrading. I chuckled at the announcement as well, but the FF is not the target market for that particular product. Most of us tend to go on the lowest available Y and upgrade using certs, the target IMO will be the folks who would normally fly Club Class on Air Transat.

DF

Shareholder Apr 5, 2005 10:08 am

Club is definitely an improvement over the old S class and clearly a differentiation from Y or J. It responds to a need in the market, and provides a field test for a midclass product on overseas flights for those who cannot afford full J [which is just about everyone here because few actually buy J and get it for the cost of an H or Q fare with upgrades]. There is nothing wrong in AC advertising this service, just as they have their enhancements to North American bookings on the website.

And the meal change is a realistic one given the environment the airline is operating in. Rather than cutting catering as most US carriers have done on short and medium haul routes, AC has been joined by CARA to provide an array or meals for sale that are taken from the menus of some of Canada's major family restaurants. Since most people complain about airline food, why should this not be considered a valid enhancement, and thus promoted as such?

Really, if AC fails to communicate with their customers they are demned here. When they do, they are still damned here. There is no satisfying some here, unless it is automatic at booking upgrades to J from TANGO fares, no certificates or miles required! And even then the same people would complain about how crowded J was getting and how it wasn't worth paying $1200 for, let along the $300 they've paid!

Doc Fraud Apr 5, 2005 10:18 am

Originally Posted by Shareholder
... There is no satisfying some here, unless it is automatic at booking upgrades to J from TANGO fares, no certificates or miles required! And even then the same people would complain about how crowded J was getting and how it wasn't worth paying $1200 for, let along the $300 they've paid!

Try me. I'll be very good and very quiet...promise :D

Unless of course I can' get a seat in which case I'd be the most hard done by SOB on the planet....

DF