Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

ACE wins 300M USD maintenance contract

Old Mar 29, 05, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Air Canada Technical Services (ACTS), a
limited partnership of ACE Aviation Holdings Inc., today announced that it has
secured an agreement with Delta Air Lines for the maintenance, repair and
overhaul (MRO) of the Atlanta-based airline's fleet of more than 200 Boeing
757-200, 767-300 and 767-300ER aircraft. The exclusive agreement, one of the
industry's largest outsourcing contracts, covers a period of five years and
represents potential revenue to ACTS of approximately USD$300 million. Heavy
maintenance work will be performed at ACTS's Vancouver maintenance centre
beginning in May 2005, resulting in the creation of approximately 300 jobs
there. Delta Air Lines currently operates 121 Boeing 757s, 28 Boeing 767-300s
and 59 Boeing 767-300ER aircraft.

http://micro.newswire.ca/release.cgi...3213-0&Start=0
Old Mar 29, 05, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; SPGPlat; PCPlat/Amb; HiltonDiamond; CarlsonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesGold
Nice coup, if DL remains solvent... But ACE does have the expertise and is grooming this division for similar status to Aeroplan. Interesting is also the fact of a long connection between AC and DL. Afterall, Hollis Harris was recruited from DL, as was Lamar Durrett, the two predecessors of RM. [And RM was a protege who Harris brought into DL, I believe.] Doesn't ACE have a big A320 maintenance contract with JetBlue as well, doing this work at YWG? Which also relates to the close personal relationship RM has with DN, founder of that carrier, and as alluded to in the FINANCIAL POST stories about the new RJ from Embraer.
Old Mar 29, 05, 9:58 am

Programs: Sans souci
Excellent news for ACE. I suppose there will be a comparable job loss among the Delta mechanics?
Old Mar 29, 05, 4:00 pm

Programs: AC Prestige, NWA WP
It's great to hear that AC's other hangar and ramp space at YVR (the one closer to the international terminal that they picked up from CP) will be used more productively than how it's used now - employee parking. ^
Old Mar 29, 05, 4:50 pm

Programs: AC nothing,HH Silver,PC Gold, BW Plat
Originally Posted by AnselmAdorne
Excellent news for ACE. I suppose there will be a comparable job loss among the Delta mechanics?
I heard that they were cutting about 2000 jobs throughout the whole airline. Not just mechanics.
Old Mar 29, 05, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
ha! watching this right now on CNN... (Lou Dobbs)
we're considered "domestic" by Delta... just like flying on AC out of SFO
Old Mar 29, 05, 5:49 pm

Programs: AC nothing,HH Silver,PC Gold, BW Plat
Originally Posted by Luubert
I heard that they were cutting about 2000 jobs throughout the whole airline. Not just mechanics.
To add to his note, AC will be producing 300 new jobs.
Old Mar 29, 05, 10:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by yyznomad
ha! watching this right now on CNN... (Lou Dobbs)
we're considered "domestic" by Delta... just like flying on AC out of SFO
Although I hate to admit I was watching CNN(I was flipping through and saw this subject ) I found it rather funny. Since when is ACE like a 3rd world airline in terms of maintenance? Also considering the age of Delta's fleet they needed to outsource to someone with considerable experience in maintaining very old 767's. Maybe this where the new seats for the AC 767 fleet are coming from.
Old Mar 30, 05, 9:02 am

Sorry boys., hardly find this one impressive. A major contract with another airline which is just barely balancing on the fine line between solvency and insolvency... Not much to write home about. More than like, nobody else wanted to take the risk of not being paid for the work. Nor does the old boys' buddy system, when it comes down to it. You pick up jobs that way when you can't compete through regular channels. In my opinion a loser contract set up by ....
My, my, I am really fed up with AC or ACE shenanigans these days, it would seem.
Old Mar 30, 05, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by the happy booker
Sorry boys., hardly find this one impressive. A major contract with another airline which is just barely balancing on the fine line between solvency and insolvency... Not much to write home about. More than like, nobody else wanted to take the risk of not being paid for the work. Nor does the old boys' buddy system, when it comes down to it. You pick up jobs that way when you can't compete through regular channels. In my opinion a loser contract set up by ....
My, my, I am really fed up with AC or ACE shenanigans these days, it would seem.
You have to be more creative in your thinking...

If Delta can't pay...and AC needs more heavy lift.... ergo...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: