Search

Bump compensation on Air Canada

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2005, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Bump compensation on Air Canada

Can anyone summarize Canada's rules on denied boarding compensation and what Air Canada typically offers for VDB (voluntary bumps)?

Tried to do a google search on FT but nothing came up.

Thanks.
Old Feb 17, 2005, 12:29 pm

Programs: SPG-Marriott Titanium Elite
How do you do a google search on FT??
Old Feb 17, 2005, 12:39 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Super Larry
How do you do a google search on FT??
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/annou...ouncementid=65
Old Feb 17, 2005, 2:00 pm

Programs: AC elite and climbing..
from what i can recall, and i apologize if i'm wrong, the compensation is 300canadian for north american flights, and 500canadian for international flights. all in the form of a money voucher or mco for future travel. cash can be awarded, but only if pushed. i think the amounts then become 100 and 300dollars respectively. if gracious, the gate agent may upgrade on the next available flight as goodwill gesture for volunteering.
Old Feb 17, 2005, 2:25 pm

Programs: SPG - Platinum, Hertz - 5 Star
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Can anyone summarize Canada's rules on denied boarding compensation and what Air Canada typically offers for VDB (voluntary bumps)?

Tried to do a google search on FT but nothing came up.

Thanks.
Last voluntary bump for me was in October of last year on YYZ-YUL.
I was given an MCO for $200 Cdn and a guaranteed J seat on the next flight. Since the flight I was scheduled on was already 10 minutes late, and the next flight was in 50 minutes, I took the MCO and upgrade. I can't say if this is the official position, but it seemed more than fair for a relatively minor inconvenience.

One caution however, using an AC paper MCO is a PITA. Nobody seems to want to go through the hassle of accepting one and reissuing another for the remaining balance. I actually had a complimentary upgrade once when told the checkin agent that I would pay my Tango change fees with a CC instead of insisting he take my MCO.

DF
Old Feb 17, 2005, 3:11 pm

I believe AC now only offers $200 Cdn for domestic flights in the form of an MCO. I've been on several flights, mostly Friday afternoons, where they left people behind because no one was willing to be bumped off the flight.
Old Feb 17, 2005, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I too have seen the invol. denied situation on the $200 offer. The people who get off loaded invariably insist they will NEVER fly AC again. It boggles the mind why AC would want this result? If I had someplace I had to be I would be pissed if they off loaded me just because I checked in last (but within the guidelines) and had a confirmed booking. The rules will be different originating from the US, Europe and perhaps elsewhere.
Old Feb 17, 2005, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But if no one volunteers and there are more bums than seats, what do you expect them to do? I mean, Josh has full undisputable rights to the lav...
Old Feb 18, 2005, 12:42 am

Programs: Marriott Plat; Air Canada E75K; Westjet Platinum
Originally Posted by YOWkid
But if no one volunteers and there are more bums than seats, what do you expect them to do? I mean, Josh has full undisputable rights to the lav...
Expect AC to compensate passengers $400 cash for domestic, $600 USA, $1000 for international flights, just like the new rules that are taking effect in Europe this month.
Old Feb 18, 2005, 12:57 am

MCO
Ahhhhh.....
Old Feb 18, 2005, 2:43 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Delta, Starwood, Fairmount
In the good old days on CP you were given a free domestic pass for volunteering your seat within Canada and a international pass on overseas flights.

I lived in Whitehorse at the time and there was always a rush to get to the airport early to "volunteer" in case it was needed as the cost of flights to anywhere in Canada from Whitehorse was expensive and a free pass was a fantastic deal.

I was bumped in Hawaii once and received an international pass which I used for Whitehorse - Amsterdam over Xmas one year.

Ah yes, the good old days
Old Feb 18, 2005, 3:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Sunny Day
just like the new rules that are taking effect in Europe this month.
Which are just idiotic in my opinion. Where is the money going to come to pay for this...higher fares.
Old Feb 18, 2005, 3:37 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
The VDB compensation I ever had on AC was C$500 in AC money, the offer of a day room at a hotel, and an upgrade to J on a LHR-YYZ-LHR ticket that originally cost me Ł140.
Old Feb 18, 2005, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

LE, wasn't that on a LHR-YVR?
Old Feb 18, 2005, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Which are just idiotic in my opinion. Where is the money going to come to pay for this...higher fares.
Maybe... well, probably...

But at least it stops Ryannair (and the other LCCs) from screwing people left, right, and centre...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.