OT:YHM gets new ILS

Old Feb 16, 05, 4:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan, Canada & Manufactured Spending
Original Poster

OT:YHM gets new ILS

http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/a.../16/c5208.html

OTTAWA, Feb. 16 /CNW Telbec/ - NAV CANADA is pleased to announce plans
for the installation of a new $1.5 million Instrument Landing System (ILS) at
the John C. Munro Hamilton International Airport. The new ILS will reduce
landing limits on runway 12 and increase airport accessibility during poor
weather conditions.
The new ILS will be a Category II system, an upgrade over the existing
Category I system. The construction will begin this Spring and the system is
expected to be operational by late Fall.
John Crichton, NAV CANADA's President and Chief Executive Officer said:
"This new system will have a significant impact on flight operations for the
Hamilton area. An analysis conducted by NAV CANADA showed that the new ILS will increase access and reliability of scheduled service, saving airlines an
estimated $750,000 per year".
NAV CANADA will co-ordinate with the Hamilton Airport Authority regarding
the necessary work for the installation of the new system.
An ILS is known as a precision approach system. It provides properly
equipped aircraft with navigational guidance signals and information on a
cockpit display which helps guide pilots accurately to the point of landing in
periods of reduced visibility and low cloud conditions. The main elements of
an ILS are the localizer and the glide-path transmitters providing horizontal
and vertical guidance, as well as marker beacons and all the related antenna
structures.
The Category II ILS will reduce the approach limits from 200 to 100 feet
above the runway elevation and from one-half to one-quarter mile back from the runway - a major improvement. An ILS guides pilots to published limits at
which point the runway must be visible before they land their aircraft.
Old Feb 16, 05, 5:32 pm
exAC

So Hamilton gets a Cat2 ILS system and yet Calgary makes do with a Cat1???

The Liberals look after their own again.

Old Feb 16, 05, 5:53 pm

Programs: AC nothing,HH Silver,PC Gold, BW Plat
Why does YHM need such a thing? WestJet and CanJet are the only major airlines flying out of YHM, and the couple of charters out on the weekends. I don't really see the need for such a thing for only about a dozen flights a day.
Old Feb 16, 05, 5:59 pm

Programs: Westjet Platinum, Fairmont Platinum RIP, Accor Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Silver, HH Diamond
Thumbs up

Because YHM has a lot of cargo traffic in addition to charter flights and WestJet and CanJet, and gets fogged in quite frequently being near the escarpment, especially in the fall, winter and spring seasons. I'm quite delighted with the news, it's a real PITA when you get diverted to YYZ at the last minute!
Old Feb 16, 05, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I agree -- why the heck YHM? Surely there are better places, and more important places who need the Cat 2 system.
Old Feb 16, 05, 6:10 pm
exAC

Originally Posted by Arthurrs
Because YHM has a lot of cargo traffic in addition to charter flights and WestJet and CanJet, and gets fogged in quite frequently being near the escarpment, especially in the fall, winter and spring seasons. I'm quite delighted with the news, it's a real PITA when you get diverted to YYZ at the last minute!
I would hazard a guess that YYC has more cargo traffic than YHM any given night. Just look south of the main terminal next time through and then add in all of the ones that park on the southend of the airport on both sides of the runway.

The article says that such a system will save $750,000 for the airlines each year. What is the bill for YYC when planes are diverting all over western Canada? Cat2 and centreline lighting at YYC would have helped JetsGo and their recent trip through the cabbage patch on runway 34.

Old Feb 16, 05, 6:36 pm

Programs: Westjet Platinum, Fairmont Platinum RIP, Accor Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Silver, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by exAC
I would hazard a guess that YYC has more cargo traffic than YHM any given night. Just look south of the main terminal next time through and then add in all of the ones that park on the southend of the airport on both sides of the runway.

The article says that such a system will save $750,000 for the airlines each year. What is the bill for YYC when planes are diverting all over western Canada? Cat2 and centreline lighting at YYC would have helped JetsGo and their recent trip through the cabbage patch on runway 34.
Well, when you consider that UPS has the international hub of their Canadian operations at YHM, Purolator has its hub for their Canadian route network at YHM, and CargoJet has invested heavily in YHM, I would say you're hazarding a guess!

When you factor in the steep fees at YYZ, any cargo company that is smart would route as much traffic as possible through YHM, which is only an hour's drive west, minutes away from highway 403, has a 10,000 foot runway, plenty of apron space and hardly any air traffic congestion. Passenger traffic is just icing on the cake for YHM!

Last edited by Arthurrs; Feb 16, 05 at 6:47 pm
Old Feb 16, 05, 7:03 pm

Programs: AC nothing,HH Silver,PC Gold, BW Plat
Yup Arthurrs' right I just found this on their website,

http://www.hamiltonairport.com/cargo.../courier.shtml

Thanks for informing us!
Old Feb 16, 05, 7:46 pm

The Liberals look after their own again.
Reality is Hamilton Mountain has been strong NDP territory, and sometimes PC ( can I still say those words!). So if they want that seat they have to perform.

And yes there is a lot of cargo, and fog.

In this same riding mid 80's I had been a wedding guest at the golf course by YHM when 21 days or so in advance, Prime Minister P.E. Trudeau nationalized the golf course to enlarge the airport to handle 747's and overseas flights.

The wedding was held in an od RCAF barracks which was actually quite quaint.

The runway was too short for 747's, there was no ILS cat 2 and much fog. And finally airine after airline used and stopped using YHM, WS is just the latest.

IMHO just another waste of taxpayers money.

But.................and this is important the liberals have won the seat after spending the money.

Finally there are 2 things important in politics, 1 is getting elected, and the 2nd is getting reelected.
Old Feb 16, 05, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, had this announcement taken place last year, I would have said it was Tony Valeri's doing. But since he's not with TC...
Old Feb 16, 05, 8:18 pm
exAC

Originally Posted by Arthurrs
.., I would say you're hazarding a guess!
In terms of total tonnage through-put YHM is just under 100,000 tonnes per year and YYC just over 100,000 tonnes per year. Aircraft movements YYC is 10 times more than YHM.

Old Feb 16, 05, 10:04 pm

In terms of total tonnage through-put YHM is just under 100,000 tonnes per year and YYC just over 100,000 tonnes per year. Aircraft movements YYC is 10 times more than YHM.
Well then I'd hazard a guess that YHM is 10 times as likely to get fogged in than YYC, not including the noxic mess that comes from our neighbors to the south and west, or Hamilton's beloved steel mills!

Not that I don't think this project is politically motivated! Heavens no! Perhaps Calgary should vote in more Liberals!

Just some interesting historical data
Old Feb 16, 05, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Or perhaps the Liberals should be buying votes thus installing the cat 2 in YYC...

Works both ways...
Old Feb 17, 05, 6:00 am

The Liberals look after their own again
Since when did Hamilton become part of Quebec?
Old Feb 18, 05, 3:40 pm
MD

YHM used to be in Valeri's riding but is so no longer after the realignments that caused the whole Sheila-Tony fiasco it is so no longer. YHM is actually in the riding held by Conservative Dean Allison.

But I am not sure which voters will base their next votes on whether or not YHM has a ILS Cat II!

Search this Thread