Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

No More Lighters Or Matches On U.S. Flights Starting In May/05

Old Feb 16, 05, 9:39 am
Original Poster

As per a front page article in today's USA Today, the U.S. Depratment Of Transportation will soon ban all lighters and matches on all flights. This obviously means airline lounges and airside restaurants as well.

This will by definition likely apply also on transborder flights from Canada as there is usually no further security when transiting in a U.S. airport.
Old Feb 16, 05, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So I guess the airside cancer rooms will also be disappearing too then, won't they?
Old Feb 16, 05, 11:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan, Canada & Manufactured Spending

The big to this hairbrained plan. Since paper matches don't show up on metal detectors, are they going to strip/cavity search every smoker or suspected smoker?
Old Feb 16, 05, 11:12 am

Programs: AC Elite,Hilton Gold, Fairmont Premier
Well geez, how am I supposed to get matches to my destination then? At first they were supposed to go in your checked bags, and I did that some of the time, when I remembered, and then the $#%%$&#s confiscated my matches from my checked bags (and these were sentimental matches, wooden ones from the Rey Juan Carlos hotel in Barcelona) so that trained me to have them carry-on. I've tried just picking up matches at my destination but I suspect narcotics would be easier to score -- hotel clerks look at you like you're insane when you ask for matches, and convenience stores don't seem to have the ubiquitous penny matches either.

These aren't for smoking, I like to take a scented candle when I travel to make my hotel room nicer. And boy, that candle with the little metal disk attached to a wick sure makes the security guys mental. They push my matches out of the way to look at it, then wish me a pleasant trip
Old Feb 16, 05, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Frankly, it's about time... but I also wonder how they are going to enforce this rule...
Old Feb 16, 05, 2:38 pm

Programs: SPG - Platinum, Hertz - 5 Star
Originally Posted by tcook052
The big to this hairbrained plan. Since paper matches don't show up on metal detectors, are they going to strip/cavity search every smoker or suspected smoker?
Please don't give them any ideas..... It could get very ugly

DF

Search this Thread