Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

OT: Anyone got connections to help out my recently laid off pilot friend?

OT: Anyone got connections to help out my recently laid off pilot friend?

Old Feb 16, 05, 1:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC*G Elite, SPG-G, Mariot-G
Arrow OT: Anyone got connections to help out my recently laid off pilot friend?

If this is inapropriate to the rules of flyertalk let me know and ill toast it.

anyways I have a friend of mine with 4 years of flying experience, hes young, mid 20's and his current flying gig got shut down as aparantly the place he was flying for out in Manitoba got audited by rev canada and transport canada shut them down for whatever reason, so he is back home in Vancouver refreshing his resume and very bummed out (trying to save up for his wedding next year and this is an unfortunate bump in the road)

Since all I know about the flying world is how many hours in the air and certifications, this is what I got out of him:
"Well, I got 1200 total, so I'm not too bad off, but I would have been better if I got 500 hours of multi engine pilot in command in there. I only wound up with about 350"

He had been doing airvac and other piloting out of Manitoba for the past couple years. He is available for any other locations. He knows he doesnt have the numbers to start pressing the big carriers but anything I guess at this point is good.

Feel free to private message me if you have any comments and I'll pass them on. His dad is a retiree from Canadian, started in 1969 if that helps anyone! Keeps the thread a bit more on topic

Thanks!!
Old Feb 16, 05, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Perhaps mtacchi could give your friend some advice.
Old Feb 16, 05, 6:50 am

Programs: AC down to Orange lol, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
1200 miles is not very high. I was chatting to someone in the hotel bar last night and the conversation really got interesting when I found out he is a commercial pilot in his past life (up to 737s) and now is in industry but still keeps up his pilots license but I think he said he needs a physical and 1500 Miles every 9 months to keep his credentials. Very nice chat since I had looked into a private pilots license or recreational pilots license before..

I know it is not very glamours but it might be worthwhile for him to contact some of the freight type companies perhaps? In this environment, it is much more stable than passenger type flying.
Old Feb 16, 05, 6:53 am

Programs: BA Silver, FB Plat, EK Gold, BonvoyAmb
Originally Posted by Snoopyo
1200 miles is not very high.

I am sure it means hours and not miles
Old Feb 16, 05, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC*G Elite, SPG-G, Mariot-G
Yah if I recall correctly, I think just to get even a simple glance at your resume with say WJ or AC you need min 5,000+ logged flight hours. I may be off on that, could be more!
Old Feb 16, 05, 10:10 am

Was he working for Keystone?

Other places to surf for Aviation rumours include:

www.aeforum.net
www.avcanada.ca

Good luck to your friend.
Old Feb 16, 05, 11:21 am

[QUOTE=TokyoCanuk]Yah if I recall correctly, I think just to get even a simple glance at your resume with say WJ or AC you need min 5,000+ logged flight hours.

And with LH they take you with 0 hours off the street. They want to train you ab initio, so as not to have anyone else's bad habits. 12 months later you are right seat on a 320.
Old Feb 16, 05, 1:52 pm
Suspended

mtacchi says... good luck to your friend. He was worrking for Skyward out of Thompson I suspect which was a very sleazy outfit.

With his experience level he is f*cked in Canada. I have a number of friends with 4000+hrs and they are having a hard time finding decent employment,

mtacchi recommends he goes to the Turks and Caicos Islands and flies there for a season. mtacchi did when he had the same level of experience and it worked out well.

The truth of the matter is there are no jobs in Canada for pilots. The imminent demise of Jetsgo is only going to further flood the market. He needs to go overseas and have a proper job with a company that makes money.
Old Feb 16, 05, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by mtacchi
The imminent demise of Jetsgo is only going to further flood the market. He needs to go overseas and have a proper job with a company that makes money.
Not wanting to hijack this thread, but why do you think that? I know the rumour mills are busy, but I haven't heard any substance - have they missed a payroll, are they COD someplace?

Thanks
Old Feb 16, 05, 9:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by back seat
Not wanting to hijack this thread, but why do you think that? I know the rumour mills are busy, but I haven't heard any substance - have they missed a payroll, are they COD someplace?

Thanks

Mostly because the friends of mine who currently fly there are telling me things. All of them are interviewing elsewhere right now as well.
Old Feb 16, 05, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by mtacchi
Mostly because the friends of mine who currently fly there are telling me things. All of them are interviewing elsewhere right now as well.
What about their training bonds? Makes it kinda hard to leave doesn't it?

Search this Thread