First-ever J class upgrade

Old Feb 14, 05, 9:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: E75K, Fairmont Platimum
First-ever J class upgrade

I had the pleasure of my first-ever J class trip from YWG to YYZ last night. The seats were not super comfortable, but I had so much room, I didn't know what to do with myself!

I managed to get a few SSWUs so I can do some upgrading now. I am saving my 2006 ones for the longer haul flights, and would really like to upgrade on the 763s or A343.

What do you FF'ers say is the best J cabin?
Old Feb 14, 05, 10:34 pm

Programs: AA, AB, AC, AD, AE, AF, AG... you get the picture
it ain't the Airbus 320 you were probably on

I personally like the A340's seats myself. Probably the most comfortable of all of AC's fleet that i've been on (and that includes the A319/320, A321, A340, 763 and 762's)
Old Feb 15, 05, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

333 / 34x / 763 are all aircraft worth upgrading on...

But then again, that's a bit of a non-brainer given those are the long haul J seats.
Old Feb 15, 05, 3:46 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG
On wide bodied a/c I like the 333 and AC 763 J cabins the best, followed by the 343. The roominess of an aisle seat in the centre section of a 333 and the privacy of the single seat of a 763 are what I look forward to the most. I would also try to upgrade to J on the 345, not so much for the seat comfort, but due to the sheer unpalatability of the alternative. I found Y in the 345 to be terribly cramped!!! I am not so concerned about IFE as usually by the time I get to sit down in my seat I am either too tired or too preoccupied with other things to watch TV.

On narrow bodied a/c, the last 321 I flew on in J had this cheap plasticky feel to the cabin, though it was spacious, especially compared to the ridiculous intra-Europe J cabines of European airlines.
Old Feb 15, 05, 4:06 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Originally Posted by halfmileman
I had the pleasure of my first-ever J class trip from YWG to YYZ last night. The seats were not super comfortable, but I had so much room, I didn't know what to do with myself!

I managed to get a few SSWUs so I can do some upgrading now. I am saving my 2006 ones for the longer haul flights, and would really like to upgrade on the 763s or A343.

Good for you! You'll soon find that sitting in J class is highly addictive...
Old Feb 15, 05, 4:35 pm

Programs: SPG - Platinum, Hertz - 5 Star
Originally Posted by halfmileman

BrainDrain is right. Once you get used to the front cabin, it'll be hard to walk through the curtain going aft.

All of the AC longhaul J cabins are pretty good. Each is a little different and it really depends on what you're looking for. For my preferences, I like the single seat in the 763's and the B or J seats on the big A33/34. There is a lot of talk about IFE, but I bring my own so the issue is moot for me. I find that the biggest factor in the quality of a flight is the quality of the crew. I've been on flights where seats were broken, the movie skipped and the cookies ran out, but the friendliness of the crew and their willingness to serve more than made up.

Fly lots and stay out of RJ's

DF
Old Feb 15, 05, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC E75K 2MM former 14-year SE; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
0.5mm, BD and DF are right. J is addictive and once you have your first taste, you're gonna want more. Of course, the more you fly, the more important this is to you. If you're "barely" Elite and travel around 35K each year, it might not be an issue. Fly over 100K on AC metal each year and Y becomes a little unbearable at times (after having a taste of J)
Old Feb 15, 05, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC E75K 2MM former 14-year SE; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
0.5mm, if you liked YWG YYZ, you should try some domestic or int'l long hauls.
Old Feb 17, 05, 5:17 pm

Programs: AC*E
Greetings, I've been lurking for ages, but now I've got something to say...

I'm on my way home (LHR) from PDX, via YVR. I just managed to collect enough status miles last year to make elite.

For the first time I can remember I found myself with H class tickets for the LHR-YVR legs. So, I finally got to use one of my SWUs on the way out (my first ride in J). I've been watching the C allocation up to the opening of the 4 day upgrade window (from C9 down to C1) for my return home. I stayed up late on Saturday night to try to get the last C, only to find that it went at about 10:45 on saturday night. Am I deperate or what? So, I had to be content with being waitlisted.

When I checked in this morning, at PDX, I was all ready to ask to be put
on the airport waitlist for the upgrade (following the advice dispensed here). However, before doing that I looked at the boarding card and found that I'd already been given a seat in J. Phew, I'm a relieved and happy person .

Having now sampled the "other side of the curtain" it's going to be really
hard to have to turn left (rather than right) next time I travel.

I was also pleased when I discovered my status had changed from prestige to elite in time for me to sample the pleasures of the MLL without diggining
out my vouchers.
Old Feb 17, 05, 6:09 pm

Programs: SPG - Platinum, Hertz - 5 Star
Originally Posted by chill
Greetings, I've been lurking for ages, but now I've got something to say...

I'm on my way home (LHR) from PDX, via YVR. I just managed to collect enough status miles last year to make elite.

For the first time I can remember I found myself with H class tickets for the LHR-YVR legs. So, I finally got to use one of my SWUs on the way out (my first ride in J). I've been watching the C allocation up to the opening of the 4 day upgrade window (from C9 down to C1) for my return home. I stayed up late on Saturday night to try to get the last C, only to find that it went at about 10:45 on saturday night. Am I deperate or what? So, I had to be content with being waitlisted.

When I checked in this morning, at PDX, I was all ready to ask to be put
on the airport waitlist for the upgrade (following the advice dispensed here). However, before doing that I looked at the boarding card and found that I'd already been given a seat in J. Phew, I'm a relieved and happy person .

Having now sampled the "other side of the curtain" it's going to be really
hard to have to turn left (rather than right) next time I travel.

I was also pleased when I discovered my status had changed from prestige to elite in time for me to sample the pleasures of the MLL without diggining
out my vouchers.

Welcome to FT Chill.

You'll find the London Lounge pretty nice as well. Look forward to it the next time you fly out of LHR. Straight ahead after you pass through the Duty Free area!

DF
Old Feb 17, 05, 8:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: E75K, Fairmont Platimum
Originally Posted by yyznomad
0.5mm, BD and DF are right. J is addictive and once you have your first taste, you're gonna want more. Of course, the more you fly, the more important this is to you. If you're "barely" Elite and travel around 35K each year, it might not be an issue. Fly over 100K on AC metal each year and Y becomes a little unbearable at times (after having a taste of J)
Yes, I can see how addictive it is. My problem is I fly a lot domestically and am only earning half the miles, hence my handle. I'll have 15 segments by the end of Feb., all within Canada, but only about 10K status miles.
Old Feb 17, 05, 9:11 pm

Programs: AC E; Hyatt-Diamond
I'm having my first ever J upgrade this saturday from YYZ to NRT. I'm not taking the "direct" flight but am stopping over in YVR for 2 hours. Nevertheless, it's going to be a happy stopover since Hampton from FT was kind enough to give me MLL passes. Despite the fact my return upgrade is looking "if-y" at the moment, I'm a happy camper!!
Old Feb 17, 05, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Doc Fraud
Welcome to FT Chill.

You'll find the London Lounge pretty nice as well. Look forward to it the next time you fly out of LHR. Straight ahead after you pass through the Duty Free area!

DF
Welcome to FT, Chill.

I agree with DF -- LHR Lounge is great. You won't be disappointed.

By the way, does anyone know why the massage chairs have all disappeared?
Old Feb 17, 05, 10:50 pm

Programs: AA, AB, AC, AD, AE, AF, AG... you get the picture
Originally Posted by baby1234
I'm having my first ever J upgrade this saturday from YYZ to NRT. I'm not taking the "direct" flight but am stopping over in YVR for 2 hours. Nevertheless, it's going to be a happy stopover since Hampton from FT was kind enough to give me MLL passes. Despite the fact my return upgrade is looking "if-y" at the moment, I'm a happy camper!!
congrats on securing the upgrade. About the only downside to flying up front across the pond is that once you've done it, you'll never want to go back to economy!!!
Old Feb 20, 05, 5:59 am

Programs: AC*E
Originally Posted by YOWkid
I agree with DF -- LHR Lounge is great. You won't be disappointed.
The London lounge must be the one redeaming feature of LHR T3. The rest of the place is horrible.

My preference for LHR-PDX is LH through FRA. However, with the possibility
of upgrading on the transatlantic leg I could be persuaded to change my
mind. I just need to make sure that I can get H or above fare class.

Chris.

Search this Thread