Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westjet Food Service. Yay or Nay

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2005, 3:06 am
F 1
Original Poster

My WJA ticket was $99. The cheapest AC fare available at the time of booking was $154.

There is absolutely nothing that AC offers that would justify me paying the extra $50. The timing is no more convenient. Tango fares don't offer status miles and the remaining AP points are only 50%. whoopee.

On WJA I get more legroom, leather seating, a high probabilty of my own private TV, superior customer service, and the ability of choosing my own meal and bringing it on board (as opposed to being 'surprised' with whatever they are serving).

WJA also has a better on-time dep/arr rate, and I know 1000x more people that have had lost/damaged luggage on AC flights vs WJA.

Sorry, but until I get a job with a cushy expense account like I suspect most people here enjoy, you'll only ever see me on an AC flight if it's cheaper, or if I have no other choice.

Luubert, still interested in sending me that chq?
Old Feb 5, 2005, 4:00 am

Originally Posted by YOWkid
Actually, this is typical of threads on AC -- they just go absolutely everywhere...
Seems to me they are going absolutely nowhere these days...
Old Feb 5, 2005, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by F 1
On WJA I get more legroom
Not quite true. AC offers 32" except in the first three rows of the 319/320 where it has about 31".

Originally Posted by F 1
leather seating
Someone explain to me -- what's the big deal about leather seating? Is it really all that much comfortable? I remember sitting in leather seats in BA Y and frankly, wasn't impressed. The cushion seats of BD were much better

Originally Posted by F 1
superior customer service
What do you mean by this?

Originally Posted by F 1
and the ability of choosing my own meal and bringing it on board (as opposed to being 'surprised' with whatever they are serving).
Well you know, you can bring your own meal onboard AC aircraft too...

Originally Posted by F 1
and I know 1000x more people that have had lost/damaged luggage on AC flights vs WJA.
Lost or delayed?
Old Feb 5, 2005, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by F 1
and what does this have to do with my thread?
Actually, it may be your thread , but it's R.andy's site! You don't own it.

"Tango fares don't offer status miles and the remaining AP points are only 50%. whoopee."

And what does WJ offer, Airmiles, whoopee. Since you're such a fan of WJ, why not post in the WJ forum in RewardsCanada.ca

Last edited by whatsontv; Feb 5, 2005 at 11:01 am
Old Feb 5, 2005, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AE
Originally Posted by YEG Guy
FLYWESTJET, ITS THE ONLY WAY TO KEEP AIRCANADA HONEST AND COMPETITIVE.

Clive Beddoe: "Air Canada matches us on every route, on every flight, on every day of the year". Therefore no Westjet, no one way ticketing, no cheap tango type fares, no need to improve service standards.
Sorry but thanks to WS we almost had no AC, and hence no FF program which I believe is the focus of this board? (WS Air Miles is not any kind of FF program and IMHO AP would not have survived without AC, toasters or no).

While I have defended OT threads, as they relate to AC's business environment, this type of thread really should be in a WS forum.
Old Feb 5, 2005, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by F 1
My WJA ticket was $99. The cheapest AC fare available at the time of booking was $154.

There is absolutely nothing that AC offers that would justify me paying the extra $50. The timing is no more convenient. Tango fares don't offer status miles and the remaining AP points are only 50%. whoopee.

On WJA I get more legroom, leather seating, a high probabilty of my own private TV, superior customer service, and the ability of choosing my own meal and bringing it on board (as opposed to being 'surprised' with whatever they are serving).

WJA also has a better on-time dep/arr rate, and I know 1000x more people that have had lost/damaged luggage on AC flights vs WJA.

Sorry, but until I get a job with a cushy expense account like I suspect most people here enjoy, you'll only ever see me on an AC flight if it's cheaper, or if I have no other choice.

I have to laugh at this denigration of nonstatus miles. You hear it here all the time. People will be price sensitive up front, but then denigrate nonstatus miles as if it has no value. Even the fact that a half dozen such flights would give you a free short-haul trip, a minimum of a couple of hundred dollars saved, it's also true that as AC moves into more loyalty management retail stuff, there will be ample opportunities to take those miles and redeem them for other things. I just redeemed a large pile of Air Miles points for $400 in nonstatus food certificates from Dominion. You can bet that Aeroplan will have a similar tie-in soon with a bunch of very large national retailers where you can spend those non-status miles. I'm not saying your choice of airlines is wrong, just pointing out that a fuller costing of the benefits might have closed the gap. Moreover, if you use a Gold or Platinum Amex Card, you can rack up those useless nonstatus even faster and convert them into nonstatus cash equivalents like nonstatus gas and nonstatus groceries. Since I expect to soon be earning more Aeroplan miles on more of my spending than I do now with Air Miles, I think am revelling in my nonstatus status.

As for issues like legroom, video, etc., I think you have to be anticipating things likely to happen in a few months. When the CRJ-705s (supposedly going to have 34" seat pitch in economy) and Embraers move in, you will have video-audio on demand in every seat, leather seats, and no middle seat. Right now, if you are comparing an AC CRJ-200 to a WJA 737-700, the comfort advantage likes with WJA, but it may well flip to AC with no middle seat on an EMB. If I were in the West, anticipating this, I would want to keep my AP miles - nonstatus or whatever - piling up so I won't feel the loss of the points that could have been accrued on this trips you are making on WJA.

Last edited by Sebring; Feb 5, 2005 at 2:18 pm
Old Feb 5, 2005, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think I hear a deal going on with George Weston.
Old Feb 5, 2005, 3:07 pm
exAC

Hey Sebring:

When you have a half million or so AE miles sitting in your account and you are only offered a few hundred for a cross Canada trip, they lose value very quickly. Making them non-status wipes out all of the value for me. Add-in that Tango means that my mitt full of upgrade certs can't be used, then I switch to another carrier at very little incentive, because price is the only incentive now to fly a Tango fare on AC.

Add to it that transborder Tango appears to be 50% mileage now also and the yawn gets bigger.

I had a TransCon Tango fare not even post last week. I can't even be bothered to phone/write/beg to get the paltry few miles posted. This is recent reality check for me and will weigh heavily on my next booking.

Now I will be flying AC again next week because the cheapest fare that I could get was on AC, a B class and therefore my certs will work. It was a late change of routing and my previous booking on United was now more expensive.

Non-status miles are now like copper pennies. If a teller gives them to you fine, but I wouldn't bend over to pick one up.

Old Feb 5, 2005, 3:12 pm

Programs: AC nothing,HH Silver,PC Gold, BW Plat
Originally Posted by F 1

I'll be happy to send you a check if you can back up everything you said in this post.
Old Feb 5, 2005, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Careful what you say... or some of us will be queueing at your doorstep.
Old Feb 5, 2005, 4:06 pm
F 1
Original Poster

Actually, it may be your thread , but it's R.andy's site! You don't own it.
Sigh. Yes I realize this is an AC forum. Yes I realize that I don't "own" this site. For you to make such a comment that I would think otherwise is rather lame. There are enough WJ threads floating around that I didn't see any problem with the question. And I did get my answer. But anyways, sorry to offend you there with my posting. You can get back on your highhorse now.

Now back to the topic:

I've read all your replies and frankly don't care enough to put the time into addressing each one of you. I'll just give you have the satistfaction of proving me wrong. Yay ^

Maybe if I was a "frequent flyer", and/or lived off a company expense account, and/or had rich parents to pay for everything, I'd care about all the factors addressed here. But I'm not. So I don't.

I'll just repeat my orginal comment, since none of the sales pitches here really were convincing, since nobody bothered to think about which customer segment I fall under, thus it still rings true for me:

Originally Posted by F 1
I know 1000x more people that have had lost/damaged luggage on AC flights vs WJA.

No offense intended. Apologies if I originally came across as brash.
Old Feb 5, 2005, 4:09 pm
exAC

You are right F1, we are having trouble deciding which segment you fit under. I am even wondering what is your objective in coming here. It seems that you just want to sling invictive.

Old Feb 5, 2005, 4:12 pm

Programs: AC nothing,HH Silver,PC Gold, BW Plat
F1 from that last post it seems you're here to cause trouble thats my opinion.

Last edited by Luubert; Feb 5, 2005 at 4:15 pm
Old Feb 5, 2005, 4:18 pm
F 1
Original Poster

Originally Posted by exAC
You are right F1, we are having trouble deciding which segment you fit under. I am even wondering what is your objective in coming here. It seems that you just want to sling invictive.
My objective was to ask a question, for which I received an answer. I also offered my viewpoint on the ensuing WJA vs AC debate. Nothing more.

Like I said: Apologies if I came across sounding as harsh.
Old Feb 5, 2005, 4:21 pm
F 1
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Luubert
F1 from that last post it seems you're here to cause trouble thats my opinion.
Well, you're entitled to your opinion I guess. Sorry you feel that way.

Last edited by F 1; Feb 5, 2005 at 4:33 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.