Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Recommend a travel agent in YVR

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2005, 9:30 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by taupo
F1, sounds like an interesting trip. Are these high school or college students? I am curious as to what they would they would be studying in New Orleans, I am very envious.
The reason for my asking about the purpose of the trip, and what it entails, is that their can sometimes be sponsorship available through the private sector.
Old Jan 30, 2005, 11:05 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by F 1
OK well after discussing with my colleagues, we've decided we are going to aim for YVR departures. We would like to avoid SEA unless funding issues dictate otherwise.

I managed to find flights from YVR - PHX - IAH - MSY (same itinerary back) via America West for the first 2 legs and Continental for the final leg for $570 CAD. That's the lowest so far.

Ideally we'd love to see something for $450 from YVR, but anything $550 or less would be great.

Travel dates are now Apr 13 - Apr 18
I personally think that saving $250 per person or $1500 for the whole group is worth the hassle to fly out of SEA, especially the money is not your money. I'm not sure if you've had experience with getting fundings before. I'd really rather submit a lower priced proposal the first time and get approved (i.e. in your case, fly from SEA), than getting rejected and later either have to fundraise the difference or have to submit a second proposal. The budget committee will probably then question why you didn't submit the lower priced budget in the first place and probably will further scrutinize your budget.
Old Jan 30, 2005, 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by flyingstudent
I personally think that saving $250 per person or $1500 for the whole group is worth the hassle to fly out of SEA, especially the money is not your money.
I agree.

Use ITASoftware.com. It shows a $333 CAD fare including taxes for SEA-MSP, with a change of planes in DFW, for your dates, but $506 on American and Continental, and that with having to change planes twice. So figure out the cost of the shuttle to Seattle (you basically have the choice of Greyhound, Trailways (through Amtrak), or QuickCoach). Greyhound and Trailways don't go to the airport, but you could take another shuttle, public transit, or taxis from Seattle downtown. QuickCoach goes to the airport, but is more expensive. Or who knows, maybe you could drive one of your vehicles down and park it for the trip.

Last edited by WillTravel; Jan 30, 2005 at 11:58 pm
Old Jan 31, 2005, 12:03 am

Programs: Aeroplan; PriorityClub
They are not going to Minneapolis.
Old Jan 31, 2005, 2:24 am
F 1
Original Poster

Originally Posted by taupo
The reason for my asking about the purpose of the trip, and what it entails, is that their can sometimes be sponsorship available through the private sector.
Hi. I am studying marketing at Simon Fraser University, and hope to attend the 2005 American Marketing Assocation's Collegiate Conference, which is held each year in New Orleans.

The SFU Student Marketing Association (of which I'm now VP) has been named AMA's Top Collegiate Chapter in the past, beating out 400 other schools across N America.

This year we'd like to head down and compete once again, but like I said, it is subject to us getting funding approval from the Faculty to attend and represent SFU.

The way it works is that SFU often will fund its top students to attend conferences such as this. In March I am flying to Toronto, as I was selected to attend a conference held at York Univ each year for Canada's top business students. Thankfully I was able to receive funding from the Faculty to be able to attend. That's usually how it works.

Our Association is often the leader at SFU for being able to attract support from the corporate community. No other student assocation is able to get the kind of support that we do. However, it is all dedicated to our upcoming on-campus events. Taupo, if you know of any private sector funding that might possibly be available, I'm all ears. ^
Old Jan 31, 2005, 2:43 am
F 1
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyingstudent
I personally think that saving $250 per person or $1500 for the whole group is worth the hassle to fly out of SEA, especially the money is not your money. I'm not sure if you've had experience with getting fundings before. I'd really rather submit a lower priced proposal the first time and get approved (i.e. in your case, fly from SEA), than getting rejected and later either have to fundraise the difference or have to submit a second proposal. The budget committee will probably then question why you didn't submit the lower priced budget in the first place and probably will further scrutinize your budget.
I appreciate the advice, but our funding requests are somewhat different. It's definitely in our best interest to aim high with our initial proposal. Our proposal will be for a subsidy, not 100% funding.

I've planned enough on-campus events to learn the tricks of the trade when it comes to funding requests. It's an art, to say the least
Old Jan 31, 2005, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

F 1, maybe you could give both scenarios (ie. the ex-SEA and ex-YVR) to your Dean? Maybe it would look favorably upon you that you are doing your research? Just a thought.

Either way, good luck with your funding request -- indeed it is an art to get money from the big bureaucracy!
Old Jan 31, 2005, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by thefareguru
They are not going to Minneapolis.
I meant MSY, sorry, not MSP - typo. Info still is valid.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.