FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Annoying Posters, Bans, and the TOS (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/384592-annoying-posters-bans-tos.html)

missydarlin Dec 29, 2004 6:10 pm

Annoying Posters, Bans, and the TOS

Although the Talkboard doesn't "do" moderation, its been brought to my attention that several members of this forum are advocating a ban of a particular forum member.

While I would agree that the said poster is annoying in a "gee, I guess they don't assign enough homework in school anymore" kinda way, I've read through several of this members posts, and can't find any flagrant violation of the TOS.

I know that many of you have contacted Randy, and I'm in no way speaking for him, or officially on behalf of the Talkboard, but until a response comes from him, I'd like to remind you all of the IGNORE feature that the new board offers. In case you haven't found it among the many new features since the board changed over, if you click on "My Flyertalk" there are a list of features along the left side of the screen. Toward the bottom is the buddy/ignore feature.

I havent quite figured out what the buddy feature does, but the ignore feature comes in quite handy. :D

And now... back to your regularly scheduled programming.

mtacchi Dec 29, 2004 6:11 pm

Excellent Idea Missy,

I shall enact that option right away..

Crampedin13A Dec 29, 2004 6:35 pm

Perhaps this thread should be a sticky. :D

AnselmAdorne Dec 29, 2004 7:58 pm

Done. Feels better already.

PreferBulkhead Dec 29, 2004 8:00 pm

... ah what a relief it is :D

PB

airbus320 Dec 29, 2004 8:00 pm

Disappeared on my radar screen this am...

acysb87 Dec 29, 2004 8:49 pm

To those that have been here awhile and know the ropes,I agree.
What happens to those that come here and see an individual(s) with a lot of posts and bases a purchase/redemption/trade... on consistently inaccurate information.
That,IMO,should not be ignored.

added consistently

shore9 Dec 29, 2004 9:07 pm

please refer to the post about how many status miles you get going YVR - YYZ - YQB, I gave fully acurate info on that yet I was still jumped on because a certain poster didn't like the alternate route I suggested, the bottom line of that was that I still posted the correct info that the original poster was asking, and then tried to help him beyond that. I agree some of my theories may be far fetched, but rather than focus on the negatives of what I am saying, focus on the positives of what I am saying, as many don't seem to even look at them at all.

mtacchi Dec 29, 2004 9:15 pm

hehehe look it works. I can't see his garbage!!!! ^ ^ ^

airbus320 Dec 29, 2004 9:27 pm

Great technology. Disappeared like magic. :D

mpc1 Dec 29, 2004 10:09 pm

Love it ^^

mpc1

parnel Dec 29, 2004 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by shore9
. I agree some of my theories may be far fetched, but rather than focus on the negatives of what I am saying, focus on the positives of what I am saying, as many don't seem to even look at them at all.

I for one will not put you on ignore as your ignorance is too great to ignore and the damage you can do to the credibility of this forum is greater than the talkboard president could imagine..her post being way off base IMO. TOS should not be the only measure of a poster's ability to damage the good name of FT. Creating fallacies here is wrong and Shore 9 does just that.

Some of your theories are not only far fetched they are absurd and the particular itinerary you were trying so hard to protect was again part of your foolishness. We will all jointly ensure Randy is aware you do not belong here and if he chooses to let you continue to post we won't let you get very far with your nonsense.

yyznomad Dec 29, 2004 10:35 pm

Thanks for looking into this, missydarlin.

YOWkid Dec 30, 2004 12:12 am

Look shore9, if you really want respect, then I suggest you do a few things:

a) Apologise to everyone and ask for a second chance. There will be some who will... well, be a bit unreceptive shall we say? But that is normal -- and do you blame them? (It's kinda like "The Boy Who Cried Wolf".)

b) Think before you post. Then write.

c) After you finish writing what you post, read it over again. Remember, you can always click the back button.

d) Read it again.

e) Check your spelling and grammar. Paragraph things. Write properly. Otherwise, things look like dribble. (There was a very good example of a very poorly written post by *A2005 a few days ago. And frankly, your posts don't look as bad, but well, you know.)

f) Read again what you have written.

Repeat b to f as many times as necessary until you refine your thoughts and are clear.

It is ok to have unique and crazy thoughts -- I don't think people mind those things. But, you have to speak from experience and clearly not spin anything that you write (like Empress said this, many others said that -- well guess what? That's not what was said, you just gave a real strange (and wrong!) twist to the interpretation!).

Oh, and when you are shot down, don't go asking for more. That's just plain stupid. (ie. the 767 / YVR-CDG thread).

Everybody makes mistakes -- and people apologise and accept that. That's not the issue. It's the "I'm Mr. Expert" and "I know it all" attitude while chiming in very silently under your breath "but I actually don't know and I don't fly, but I assume" that really annoys all of us. (Remember the LHR-YYZ thread I posted back in October and you said, "don't worry, you'll get the upgrade"? Well -- how the hell would you know? It's not like you fly that route often enough to know! And don't tell me you have, because I (and we as a collective) know you haven't. I usually fly 857 once every few months whenever I do the atlantic crossing myself and I didn't know! So, really, come on -- get real!)

Even Academic, Empress, and Shareholder (sorry to point fingers) make mistakes, but they apologise, accept the correction, and move on and don't try to defend themselves even though it is wrong.

Might I also point out -- and I don't think he minds -- fromYYZflyer was burned big time when he joined FT back in 2002. I remember reading his posts and thinking what a spoiled kid he was. (For a fun posting, try to find the infamous question I gave him about landing a 74E at YTZ given certain constraints (figured out the answer yet Josh? ;) :D) But he has turned around big time -- after summer camp that year (we wished him well, of course), he came back and was well, what he is today -- a well respected contributor to FT.

Frankly, you should know all this as a business student. And I'm sure others have given similar advice.

I personally am holding an olive branch out to you and showing you the way to the door. It's up to you to take the branch and walk through the door yourself. I'm sure others will do the same.

So take the rest of the year off from FT. Think about it. Then improve on your posting in the new year and go to the YUL Do. By then, maybe people will have an improved image of you.

Now that I have taken almost half an hour of my precious time to write this posting, I hope you take the time to reflect. But frankly, for me, this is your last chance. I will not hesitate to shoot you down should you not change, because I agree with what parnel says. I had you on my block list for a while but I soon realised the incorrect information that you were posting.

yyznomad Dec 30, 2004 12:22 am

^ ^ ^ ^