Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Novice on the horizon...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2004, 5:47 pm
Original Poster

Smile Novice on the horizon...

This is my first foray into this venue. I will be purchasing return flights for two from BC to Ottawa for travel in May/05. I've heard there are ways to save $$ on flights and would be grateful if someone felt inclined to advise me.
Old Dec 28, 2004, 5:49 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

Hello maisymay, welcome to Flyertalk!

Domestic sale fares usually don't appear until closer to departure date. (Usually a few months prior) YVR/YOW could go as low as $140 each way during seat sales. I would wait a bit instead of purchasing now.
Old Dec 28, 2004, 6:23 pm
Original Poster

Novice on the horizon

Thanks for the information, I'll hold off purchasing for now. Is there such a thing as bereavement fare; if so, how best to approach that?
Old Dec 28, 2004, 6:41 pm

Programs: None. I'm cured.
Originally Posted by maisymay
Thanks for the information, I'll hold off purchasing for now. Is there such a thing as bereavement fare; if so, how best to approach that?
Now that is planning!!

Please forgive my dark humour, but bereavement fares usually apply to bookings less than 5 months away.

Air Canada is one of the few that still do offer these fares. See:

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...reavement.html

MCM.
Old Dec 28, 2004, 7:02 pm
Original Poster

Hello Minicooperman

About the bereavement fare - I had originally ended my previous post with: "No, I'm not planning anything ", but deleted it before submitting, so your comments are not unexpected, I had a chuckle. I realize it sounds odd!! I'm to attend a funeral in May/05 in Ottawa. The deceased was cremated Feb/04 in the States. Long story. But thanks for the link you forwarded.

Last edited by maisymay; Dec 28, 2004 at 7:05 pm Reason: incorrect date
Old Dec 28, 2004, 7:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
About the bereavement fare - I had originally ended my previous post with: "No, I'm not planning anything ", but deleted it before submitting, so your comments are not unexpected, I had a chuckle. I realize it sounds odd!! I'm to attend a funeral in May/05 in Ottawa. The deceased was cremated Feb/04 in the States. Long story. But thanks for the link you forwarded.
A brief word of advice in regards to bereavement fares versus sale fares: the former is 75% off Y class or Freedom Fares, which can be as much as $1213.00 OW YVR-YOW. That means a base RT of $606.50 plus, plus, plus. AC has a sale on until 30 Dec. for travel up to 19 March with fares from $129.00 OW or a base of $258.00 plus, plus, plus. So even if May does come on sale at the $150-175 OW range, these sale fares are going to be your best values as compared to the bereavement fares. I'd keep watching for sale to come out around Feb. '05.

Sorry to hear of your loss. Regardless, welcome to FT!

Last edited by tcook052; Dec 28, 2004 at 7:23 pm
Old Dec 28, 2004, 8:38 pm
Original Poster

Hello tcook052

Thank you for your condolences.

Your advice has been helpful. I'm uncertain what OW stands for? I will watch for seat sales in Feb. Is it better to purchase a few months ahead when seat sales are first announced or wait until closer to the departure date?

I'll be travelling with an 8 yr old child. Are upgrades reserved for frequent flyers and are children not preferred outside of economy seating? I'm unfamiliar with flight etiquette regarding children beyond common sense and courtesy to fellow passengers and flight personnel.
Old Dec 28, 2004, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I'm uncertain what OW stands for?
I think tcook was referring to "One Way"
Old Dec 28, 2004, 8:55 pm

I'll be travelling with an 8 yr old child. Are upgrades reserved for frequent flyers and are children not preferred outside of economy seating? I'm unfamiliar with flight etiquette regarding children beyond common sense and courtesy to fellow passengers and flight personnel.
Children are allowed in J. They and anyone else can be upgraded if they are on an upgradeable fare and travelling with someone who has paid for J or upgraded to J. I believe an eligible person can only upgrade one companion.
Old Dec 28, 2004, 9:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Is it better to purchase a few months ahead when seat sales are first announced or wait until closer to the departure date?
Well, if you know the dates you need to travel now, I'd grab a decent sale when one comes out well in advance rather than waiting too close to the depart date. Even the sale fares with AC are somewhat flexible in terms of making date changes should you need it.

And sorry for the shorthand (occupational habit as a travel agent and FT lounger).

Good luck.
Old Dec 28, 2004, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
tracon is right. There are no hard and fast rules about kids sitting in J with a flying companion. They can be upgraded by a FF, whether parent or not. They can sit there with a companion if they were on a paid C/J ticket. They can sit there on a reward ticket. Many possibilities
The only general "etiquette" regarding children is that the guardian/adult companion traveling with them tries their best in keeping them quiet. The keyword here is "try". It's usually the crying and wailing babies or whining toddlers that cause us to buy expensive Noise Canceling headphones
Old Dec 28, 2004, 9:10 pm

Programs: None. I'm cured.
Originally Posted by yyznomad
It's usually the crying and wailing babies or whining toddlers that cause us to buy expensive Noise Canceling headphones

Or Shore9.

MCM.
Old Dec 28, 2004, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Minicooperman
Or Shore9.

MCM.

My apologies, you are correct.
Old Dec 28, 2004, 9:51 pm
Original Poster

I see I have some homework to do.

Originally Posted by tcook052
And sorry for the shorthand (occupational habit as a travel agent and FT lounger).
Please don't apologize for the shorthand, it's quite intriguing to figure out what the various terms might mean without a reference guide. Airport codes are easy to look up, for example. But I have to admit "Shore9" eludes me. Something to do with coping with disturbances?

Is there a website with aircraft seating plans, class designations, ie: J, C or Y? And which seats are to be avoided due to noise, traffic, etc? I'll do some research and try to speed up the learning curve.
Old Dec 28, 2004, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Please don't apologize for the shorthand, it's quite intriguing to figure out what the various terms might mean without a reference guide. Airport codes are easy to look up, for example. But I have to admit "Shore9" eludes me. Something to do with coping with disturbances?

Is there a website with aircraft seating plans, class designations, ie: J, C or Y? And which seats are to be avoided due to noise, traffic, etc? I'll do some research and try to speed up the learning curve.
http://www.seatguru.com
For Air Canada, J and C are both the same first class cabin (AC doesn't have any 3 cabin configs like other airlines do). C refers to discounted Executive/Executive First class, and J is full fare Executive/Executive First class. Executive class is the level of service designation for domestic and transborder flights, where Executive First is the level of service for international flights.

"shore9" refers to a condition we are all suffering here

Last edited by yyznomad; Dec 28, 2004 at 10:19 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.