Community
Wiki Posts
Search

check in at BOS/YVR

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2004, 10:15 am
Original Poster

check in at BOS/YVR

Over xmas I'll be flying AC BOS-YOW-YVR-YYZ-BOS.

How much time should I allow for check in at BOS? What about YVR? The BOS flight leaves mid-afternoon, the YVR flight leaves mid-morning.

I've only got 1h 13 min in Toronto on the way back. Is this enough to complete immigration, etc?
Old Dec 20, 2004, 11:23 am

The last experience I had with YYZ immigration was when it got within about :40 minutes of a flights departure time the agent would move people from the middle of the line to the front of the line. I think it's to your advantage to have a shorter connection.
Old Dec 20, 2004, 11:26 am

BOS is a fairly lengthy security check, and a moderate walk to the AC gate.

If I were you I'd allow an hour for the security check alone. The reason I say this is that the last time I was there a few months back, even with priority check in, I timed it to be 1 hour and 15 minutes from when I walked up to the counter to when I walked into the lounge...and that was not at Christmas, when a few people will always (and they always happen to be in the security line I have chosen--murphy's law) decide to wrap up some carry on christmas presents, or pack in an extra corkscrew in their carry on luggage..blah-blah...that results in extended security times/lines..

Cheers
Old Dec 20, 2004, 11:57 am

Havng done similar trips fairly often (but different W. Canada destination...) I'll add that the security lines at BOS into that wing of Terminal C can be fairly hit or miss. If you are familiar at all with the area, it looks like they sometimes have people lined up into the children's play area. They also have electronic signs seemingly regulating when you can go through security (e.g. they only want passengers on flights within about 2?3 hours, can't remember exactly, going through security). Just noticed you are in BOS, so probably know all this already .

Edit to add: not sure about the "moderate walk" crazy canuck . I'd time it out at about 5-10 seconds (YOW flight usually goes out of first, or second (maybe 30 seconds) gate on your right, just after security).

That being said, I flew out Friday night, and was through security with no problem, and that has been case last few trips as well - say 15-20 minutes from checkin to the gate area? AC Staff is pretty friendly, and I think I've seen / heard them pull people a couple of times out of the BOS security line on really busy days... I wouldn't walk up to the check-in counter 30 minutes before flight time, but I'm comfortable not getting there the full 2 hours early too...

The YYZ connection is always interesting - I had similar experience to Tracon as far as people being pulled as flights got close on the Monday after U.S. Thanksgiving. Actually held flight YYZ-BOS flight for about 20 minutes cuz of how crazy the pre-clearance was. Don't forget that you will have a terminal change in YYZ from T-1 to T-2 - look for the signs while you are still behind security in T-1. I'd look for an agent as soon as you enter the pre-clearance hall to make sure they haven't already 'given up' pulling people for your particular flight...

-J

Last edited by YYC_BOS_and_Back; Dec 20, 2004 at 12:00 pm
Old Dec 20, 2004, 3:20 pm

Programs: CX Diamond, HH Diamond, A-Club Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Shangri-la Jade, Intercon Gold Ambassador
I've flown on AC out of BOS Terminal C > 10 times this year. Checkin is fine. Security has been getting better (more efficient) of late - I usually count on it taking 20 - 30 minutes to get through security but sometimes it can take longer. At BOS Terminal C you practically have to strip down to the skivvies before going through the metal detector.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.