Search

Trip report: Mileage run to MIA

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2004, 8:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC*E, Delta Platinum, Fairmont Premiere
Trip report: Mileage run to MIA

Just wanted to update everyone on the mileage run to MIA:

Friday afternoon, YQR-YYZ, and thanks to a friendly agent and a relatively full flight, was moved to J after casually inquiring about an operational upgrade. After looking over my itinerary and being amazed that I was actually flying all the way to Miami the next day and only staying three hours, just to earn my *E status for the next year, the agent printed out another boarding pass. "We can't have you riding in the back if you're going to all this trouble to earn points!" She made my day!

Had a pleasant, light, J-class lunch enroute, consisting of salad, smoked duck breast on shredded carrots and raisins, and many small glasses of abernet Sauvignon/Merlot (g). Oh, and some Grand Marnier (why do they only pack two GMs per liquor cart on these flights??).

Rented a car and drove to a nearby hotel for the evening.

Saturday morning, arrived at T2 early to drop off the car rental, and checked in for the flight to MIA. Encountered another amazed check-in agent, and then an even more amazed US Customs agent, who kept suggesting that "you know, a family member can just give you some of their points". I wasn't able to convince her that the giving of points wouldn't work for achieving *E status, but she didn't have a big problem with me flying to MIA and only staying for three hours either. I was prepared for the 3rd degree on that one, and maybe even a secondary search. But had no problems whatsoever, once I explained I was just doing it for points.

The hard part was putting down the US address where I'd be staying. In the end, the agent just wrote "Miami Int'l" on the form, and away I went. It may have helped that I had been directed to the Flight Crew line at US Customs. So perhaps she was used to dealing with people who would only be in a city for a few hours, then turning right around and coming home!

I had forgotten that the T2 lounge for US flights used to be the international lounge. It's huge. Had a light breakfast, and then headed off to the MIA gate. But before departing the lounge, the agent at the front desk called me over and had a new boarding pass for me as well. She had moved me up to J for the flight down south. Another pleasant surprise. The J class meal service on the US flights is FAR better than on Canadian routes. For example, YQR-YYZ is almost the same duration as the YYZ-MIA flight, but the meal was far better: fruit plate with warm rolls, jam and butter to start, followed by a Tex-Mex style omelette with salsa on top, cheese sauce in the middle, and mashed potatoes with black beans and corn on the side. Very tasty. All accompanied by champagne and orange juice from what seemed like a never-ending supply (g). Excellent service and food, and friendly cabin crew.

Arrived in MIA and immediately checked in for the return flight. I used my remaining SSW to upgrade myself for the return, and had booked it four days in advance, so all went smoothly.

Took in some sun out in the courtyard, took some photos, and wandered the terminal for a couple of hours, also visiting the MIA lounge, (not a MLL, but provided by a third party), which was pleasant enough.

Boarded the MIA-YYZ flight along with a full complement of returning cruise ship pax, and enjoyed a very pleasant J class afternoon meal on the way home.

First course consisted of a crab-cake on a bed of salad, followed by a choice of what was simply described as "chicken or fish" // "What kind of fish is it?" // "White fish". And indeed it was -- white that is. But tasty enough! I managed to stretch the dinner over the course of an hour and leisurely read a magazine. Another few glasses of wine and Grand Marnier (again, only two in the whole liquor cart! What's up with that?), and it was time for an early evening landing in YYZ.

Made use of the shower facilities at the MLL in T1, and headed off to catch my return flight to YYZ.

It was a lightly loaded A319 for the return flight, and I was the only passenger in J. So had excellent service and attention from the FAs! Even so, the meal service was decidedly spartan, considering the flight duration was so similar to the MIA flight. Was offered BBQ beef on a bun or ham and cheese on a bun. Both sandwiches were hot, which was nice, but it really seems a bit light for a 2.75-to-3 hour flight).

Arrived home in time to attend a house party, and had an excellent story to tell when I got there (g).

Now to wait and see how many points have accumulated. It should be plenty to ensure *E for next year, but, as I've told the many people at work who think I'm nuts, it's worth it for the story value alone!

-T
Old Dec 14, 2004, 10:13 am

Programs: AC*P
nice report, and nice agents too.
wish all the tiers here will have that kind of luck.
Old Dec 14, 2004, 11:18 am

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
The US customs agent that I had for my 7 hour turnaround in MIA didn't get the points issue; instead was wondering who I was meeting, and what I was doing (to which I answered no one, and sleep).

It sucks that in order to get decent mileage runs you have to go to the US, but explaining it to a US customs agent make it almost not worth the effort.

Originally Posted by AirbusFan
Saturday morning, arrived at T2 early to drop off the car rental, and checked in for the flight to MIA. Encountered another amazed check-in agent, and then an even more amazed US Customs agent, who kept suggesting that "you know, a family member can just give you some of their points". I wasn't able to convince her that the giving of points wouldn't work for achieving *E status, but she didn't have a big problem with me flying to MIA and only staying for three hours either. I was prepared for the 3rd degree on that one, and maybe even a secondary search. But had no problems whatsoever, once I explained I was just doing it for points.
Old Dec 14, 2004, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by YYCOllie
It sucks that in order to get decent mileage runs you have to go to the US, but explaining it to a US customs agent make it almost not worth the effort.
I did an MR out of BUF a few months ago. Crossing the border (on the Greyhound no less), the US customs agents gave me absolutely no hastle. It was the Canadian immigration officer on the return that I had to explain the situation a few times to. Eventually, he ended up deciding that he, too, would book a flight to MSY for US$128
Old Dec 14, 2004, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YYCOllie
Well, you could go to LHR... but those runs only work during low season. And of course, I'm sure your significant other would be insulted if you didn't at least drop by her place for tea.
Old Dec 14, 2004, 6:56 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

How did Canada Customs react to you being in MIA for a few hours though?
Old Dec 15, 2004, 6:58 am

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
That discussion was equally fun.

"What did you buy for $1"
"Two postcards"
"Oh... Hey, you left yesterday"'
"Yes ma'am... Mileage run blah blah blah. I want status, status is cool, yadda yadda"
"Who did you meet"
"No one"
"What did you do there"
"Sleep, and get lots of points for little money"

We'll see how it goes the next time I cross the border.
Old Dec 15, 2004, 7:45 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb
I got grilled last year at YYZ when returning from a quick trip to SIN. When I explained the whole points/ff/status thing the customs guy said "I don't believe you, there's more to this than you're telling me." Eventually he accepted my explanation and let me through. He was a decent enough guy and once he figured out that I wasn't lying to him he got fairly chatty. It turned out that his wife was Malaysian and he'd made the flight a couple of times - he truly didn't believe anyone would do it just for fun!

I think we should set up the FlyerTalk Travel Club. All Randy would have to do is issue membership cards (platinum status of course) - there are already lots of T shirts, pins, and travel tags available. Then every MR could be "an important board meeting at the MIA RCC" or "the annual SIN convention". It might make it easier to explain to those inquiring customs types!
Old Dec 15, 2004, 8:04 am

Programs: AC MM
Last Saturday I went to Denver for the football game on Sunday, and when I returned Sunday night the agent wanted asked why I went and I told her. She then wanted to know why I went for such a short time, I told her a football game is 3 hrs long. She didn't look very amused with my answer and I thought I was going to get pulled over for sure, but was sent straight through!
Old Dec 16, 2004, 10:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Empress
How did Canada Customs react to you being in MIA for a few hours though?
The Canada Customs woman had no problem at all. I was lucky enough to be first in line, walked right up, and gave her my ID and info card. She asked "so you made no purchases at all in Miami?" // "Nope. I was only there for about three hours." // "Okay, thanks."

She didn't really have any questions about the length of time I was there.

I was very pleased and surprised. The whole thing took about one minute I think!

But I could certainly see how they might have lots of questions, so I was prepared, and had a mental list of everything they might find in my bag (G).

I also made sure that I had taken some touristy pictures in Miami on my digital camera, to go along with the photos I took of planes etc. Didn't want them to just find photos of planes and jetways on the camera if they looked!

-T
Old Dec 16, 2004, 6:20 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

You guys should feel lucky you're not coming back via YVR when you do that, otherwise I can give you a personal guarantee that you're getting secondary.
Old Dec 16, 2004, 8:56 pm

Location: Usually on a ship looking for oil and gas; Uruguay, Malaysia, Turkey, Nigeria, Libya, Egypt, Norway, Scotland, India, Congo & Angola, next project who knows? Agreed to CC rules
Programs: AC Altitude E75K/*G, AS MVP, AF/KLM Petroleum Club, BA Blue
Originally Posted by Empress
You guys should feel lucky you're not coming back via YVR when you do that, otherwise I can give you a personal guarantee that you're getting secondary.
Empress

That's why God invented Canpass Air.

mpc1
Old Dec 16, 2004, 9:01 pm

Programs: ACMM / Altitude S100K / HH Diamond
AMEN to that!!!

PB
Old Dec 16, 2004, 9:06 pm

Programs: AC E50K MM * DL MM * HH Diamond * Marriott Lifetime Titanium * Queen's '92
It surprises me that anyone gets secondary just for having a short trip. I will do YYZ-ORD-DFW-1 hour meeting-DFW-ORD-YYZ or same thing to DEN all the time. Never had anyone so much as blink. Only guy who didn't get it was when I flew to ANC in the AM, had a meeting, woke up for the 7am return flight and was back home.
Old Dec 17, 2004, 5:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Simon
It surprises me that anyone gets secondary just for having a short trip. I will do YYZ-ORD-DFW-1 hour meeting-DFW-ORD-YYZ or same thing to DEN all the time. Never had anyone so much as blink.
I think the saving grace in your scenario might be that you actually were doing something in DFW. If you were meeting someone, then you've actually got something to say when they ask "what were you doing for that short a time?" The rest of us have to say "well, uh, nothing actually."

-T

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.