Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boarding first

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2004, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YYA361
YOW is very poor for this. They rarely offer early boarding for anyone other than special needs passengers. Of course, that is only after they allow f/a's to board.
I've actually never had a problem with YOW... At least not in the old terminal. In the new terminal, I usually end up getting paged to the gate because the MLL is so far away.
Old Jun 6, 2004, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shore9
do you really want to bored first, most places there is a MLL, just use that instaed, its more comfortable. If it's an international flight then bording first is a good thing, because you get a pre-flight drink.
When did offer pre-flight drinks in Y domestic / international?

The only real advantage i see to bording first is being able to put your bag in an overhead bin (very helpful for status pax in the back), however in J, it's not usually a problem
You don't fly enough, do you? J is usually full -- especially because a lot of people bring everything on board so they don't need to check bags.

Honestly, two reasons why you would want to board first:

a) So you don't stand in line for hours. So what if you spend an extra ten minutes in the MLL. It's a pretty dull place after a while, you know.

b) And, looking at cute girls walking by is always a nice thing too.
Old Jun 6, 2004, 2:22 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

The only real advantage i see to bording first is being able to put your bag in an overhead bin (very helpful for status pax in the back), however in J, it's not usually a problem
Usually not a problem??? This based on 3 flights a year? This is actually a bigger problem in J than in Y. Most business travellers don't like to check bags so they all have a roller + briefcase, it fills up very quickly. If you get a nasty FA & there are no space because you got on late, you're in trouble...
Old Jun 6, 2004, 2:23 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

Originally Posted by YOWkid
So what if you spend an extra ten minutes in the MLL. It's a pretty dull place after a while, you know.
He said he uses his dad's Elite card to access it even though his dad is not flying... maybe that's why he enjoys every bit of it.
Old Jun 6, 2004, 3:50 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, former AC E35K
No actually these are based on experiences when I'm travelling in J. I was paged to the gate in YUL, J was full and my bag was put into a storage closet or something like that for the YUL - YYZ segment. Usually I am checking baggage as well, so for me, under the seat in front of me is fine. I agree the MLL lounge gets dull after a while, and I dont travel much, but I prefer it to the gate lounge. Pre flight drinks are only offered in exec first to my knowledge and experience, only reason i'd bored a flight early, other than getting a place for my bag, if i need it.
Old Jun 6, 2004, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

bored
bore.....boring........bored......boredom...

I believe you might be looking for this word shore9:

"board" as in "to board an aircraft" !
Old Jun 6, 2004, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
bore.....boring........bored......boredom...

I believe you might be looking for this word shore9:

"board" as in "to board an aircraft" !
Who's spelling is / was worse? fromYYZ_flyer a year and a half ago, or shore9's?
Old Jun 6, 2004, 6:14 pm

hey im on vacation right now, my brain isnt supposed to be working right now, not that it was ever really doing too much work at school.
Old Jun 6, 2004, 6:27 pm

Programs: AC MM, Starwood Platinum, Fairmont Platinum
I actually find the SFO AC staff very good for enforcing boarding order. Makes me wish others would do the same. The things that bugs me more is the huge crowd that usually forms around the boarding area and even though they don't try to board, it is a slalom course to try and get to the gate during priority boarding.

Travelling could be so much more tolerable just by a few simple things the airlines could do. This is one example where it costs nothing but could make the chaotic boarding phase much less stressful.
Old Jun 6, 2004, 10:28 pm

yeah thats true, everyone stands up, but yet they can't board. It's kinda like stay in your seat until the a/c comes to a complete stop, even though many wait till it stops, everyone rushes to get their stuff. People your not going anywhere till the door is open and that usually takes 2 or 3 minutes, have some patience.
Old Jun 7, 2004, 6:51 am

Programs: United Premier 1K
Question:

I have UA Premier Exec (*Gold). If I'm flying out of YYZ on an Aeroplan ticket, I assume I can't get my *Gold status on the BP, since the reservation is linked to my AC number. If I flash my Prem Exec card at the gate, can I join the pre-boarding line? Can my travelling companion with no status (on the same itin?). <Likewise, can my travelling companion use the *Gold check-in line with me?>
Old Jun 7, 2004, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by Toronto1970
Question:

I have UA Premier Exec (*Gold). If I'm flying out of YYZ on an Aeroplan ticket, I assume I can't get my *Gold status on the BP, since the reservation is linked to my AC number. If I flash my Prem Exec card at the gate, can I join the pre-boarding line? Can my travelling companion with no status (on the same itin?). <Likewise, can my travelling companion use the *Gold check-in line with me?>
I've done this before and it worked fine for me... Just show the card when you check in.. they sometimes ask why it isn't on your boarding pass but they rarely turn someone away who isn't *G for the pre-boarding anyway..

Went through US departures in YOW today... Heard the exchange between two GA's. One asked if the other had done the SE/E/*G pre-board and she told him not to worry about it but he could do it if he wanted. I'm glad he did as the flight was 100% full... RJ's and bin space. There's a fun fight... almost as bad as elbow room...

B
Old Jun 7, 2004, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Toronto1970
Question:

From what I gather, the agreement states that the person must be flying on a *A flight but doesn't say that the person must have their BP attached to the program with their *G status. This is a good question in terms of lounge access though. I've always wondered, as a AC*SE that if I apply my UA MP number to a UA BP, will I gain access to a RCC if I show my SE card which has the *G symbol on it?
Old Jun 8, 2004, 5:12 am

Programs: AC LT E50K; AC*MM; SPG LT Gold
As an SE, you have the privillege of using the RCC, even if your flight is a UA one. In any case, I don't thinkthat the RCC agent would go beyond checking out your SE card and UA BP.
Old Jun 8, 2004, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Academic
As an SE, you have the privillege of using the RCC, even if your flight is a UA one. In any case, I don't thinkthat the RCC agent would go beyond checking out your SE card and UA BP.
Yes, but the kicker is that an SE applied their United Mileage Plus number to their United flight instead of using their AP number which would then have *G on the gold colour boarding pass (and the SE has no status with the UA MP program). Once in awhile, I get asked for both card and BP. (Is that what you meant anyway?)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.