Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airbus 380

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2005, 10:33 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by parnel
I wonder if the AC team was there for the roll out and if they signed up to buy any. If AF comes into YUL with one daily AC would certainly have to consider having them as well.

Surely you jest. AC seems quite happy to operate 767s around the world, if they could get ETOPS I could seem them operatig 320 and 321's to Europe off the east coast. Their strategy seems to be to fly the smallest plane possible on any given route.
Old Jan 19, 2005, 10:44 am

Programs: Distiction Diamond, HHonorsGold, Starwood Gold, Delta
I hope AC doesn't purchase the 380 for several reasons:

1. New aircraft always have teething pains (much like new cars) and I think it would be wise to let other's iron them out before committing to such a large purchase. Also, I don't see too many routes for AC for such an aircraft without a serious reduction in frequency.

2. As a passenger, I am not keen on waiting with 600+ folks for customs and luggage in most airports, but especially a place like Dehli, which at present takes several hours to empty a 747. I would rather hop on a 330/340/767/7E7/777 and go point-to-point with more frequency and with less of a crowd. In fact I would avoid the 380 if there were other options available.

3. I agree with many previous posts that once the economics take-over, there won't be any day cares, showers, weight rooms, piano bars etc. BIS makes money and that is the bottom line.

4. I do see a market for some routes and also I see a significant marker for freight, but I don't see much requirement for the passenger 380 for AC.

Now, I could be proven wrong but time will tell.

IMHO only
Old Jan 19, 2005, 11:41 am

Programs: Aeroplan E
Trent,
AC has gotten rid of its B744s. As a result, I do not see the A388s fitting into the AC fleet plans. If they can fill the A343s and A345s, then they should look at the B773ERs or the A346s before even dreaming about the A388s.

I see B7e7s or A350s to enter the AC fleet in around 5 to 6 years time to replace some of the B767s.
Old Jan 19, 2005, 11:57 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
I would hope that AC, being a mostly Airbus airline, would look at the A350 (to replace A330/340 eventually) and/or A380 (747 replacment?) before any Boeing product.

One of the big selling points for Airbus is fleet commonality. One license for A318/319/320/321, one for A330/340 and one for A380, with minimal training required for an `upgrade` in type rating.

I will be squeezing my friend at AF very hard to get on one of the inaugural CDG-YUL flights. Can`t wait to ride the A388! The A389 will be even bigger.
Old Jan 19, 2005, 12:09 pm
ATC

Location: Boston, Freefall: Chairman's Preferred -->Steerage Status
Sadly, in today's world, anything billed as "bigger," "better," or "more!" strikes me as being too irresistable a terrorist magnet.
Old Jan 19, 2005, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by AC_flyer
Trent,
AC has gotten rid of its B744s. As a result, I do not see the A388s fitting into the AC fleet plans. If they can fill the A343s and A345s, then they should look at the B773ERs or the A346s before even dreaming about the A388s.

I see B7e7s or A350s to enter the AC fleet in around 5 to 6 years time to replace some of the B767s.
I couldn't agree with you more, you make complete sense.
Old Jan 19, 2005, 2:42 pm

Programs: SPG-Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by ATC
Sadly, in today's world, anything billed as "bigger," "better," or "more!" strikes me as being too irresistable a terrorist magnet.
Can only agree!!
Old Jan 19, 2005, 8:15 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP - Aeroplan 50K
[QUOTE=Trent]I hope AC doesn't purchase the 380 for several reasons:

2. As a passenger, I am not keen on waiting with 600+ folks for customs and luggage in most airports, but especially a place like Dehli, which at present takes several hours to empty a 747. I would rather hop on a 330/340/767/7E7/777 and go point-to-point with more frequency and with less of a crowd. In fact I would avoid the 380 if there were other options available.

That's what the Boeing spin doctors are saying this week in light of the A380 rollout - and why they are touting the benefits of the "Dreamliner."
Old Jan 19, 2005, 8:42 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by Shareholder

But seeing all the mock-ups of interiors takes me back to the launches of the 747, DC10 and L1011 which also promised us dining rooms, dance halls and lots of space to enjoy our flights in. How long such spaces are offered on the A380 before the reality of operating economics catches up makes for wonderous speculation.
Isn't that that the truth. I wish I had been old enough and rich enough to get up top on those first 747-100's though. It must have been fun. No 60 year old FA's I bet either.
Old Jan 19, 2005, 9:08 pm
At Large

Originally Posted by mtacchi
Surely you jest. AC seems quite happy to operate 767s around the world, if they could get ETOPS I could seem them operatig 320 and 321's to Europe off the east coast. Their strategy seems to be to fly the smallest plane possible on any given route.

Of course I jest; AC does not want to compete in the real world.
Old Jan 20, 2005, 12:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
TOULOUSE, France (AFP) — The new A380 superjumbo unveiled by Airbus on Tuesday has stoked strong demand from airlines looking to keep pace with the growing air travel market.
So far, 13 airlines have ordered a total of 139 of the planes.

Here is a list of companies that have placed orders:

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/news/...s-orders_x.htm
Old Jan 20, 2005, 4:03 am

Programs: AE, AirMiles Gold
Honestly I fail to see much of a market for the 380 outside of the existing 747 routes. While Airbus says that it costs less per seat, I still didn't see anything in their press release saying that flying a 380 is cheaper then a 747 and I would like to see the actual data.

Of course for cargo operators the 380 will be great, some airlines might even considering using only 1 deck for pax and the other for cargo (if it's possible). Of course airbus is not forthcoming with technical information on their plane.
Old Jan 20, 2005, 5:26 am

Programs: Aeroplan E
[QUOTE=Singlepoint]
Originally Posted by Trent
I hope AC doesn't purchase the 380 for several reasons:

That's what the Boeing spin doctors are saying this week in light of the A380 rollout - and why they are touting the benefits of the "Dreamliner."
Singlepoint,
The statement you mentioned is definately what Boeing is spinning right now.

I see the A388s fitting in well in airlines like LH, AF, SQ, QF, EK....etc. Airlines which are already filling up their B744s in some routes. Especially into slot limited airports like LHR.

However most North American airlines are finding it difficult to fill the B744s for pax traffic. Currently there are only 2 Major airlines in North America operating the B744s. UA and NW. The other major do not operate them. UA is also cutting back, as with NW. AC is also in a similar predicament.

However just because North American Airlines cannot fill a large plane does not mean the A388 will be bust.
Old Jan 20, 2005, 8:34 am

Programs: AC *SE AF BA PC Plat
Isn't armchair quarterbacking great!

One thing I can assure everyone of is that Airbus has had a very close look at worldwide traffic, 747 obsolescence, and future trends. I agree that we probably won't see a lot of 388's in NA skies, however the aircraft should do very well on worldwide markets. Airbus has gone to great lengths to build this aircraft using a sound business model, with appropriate engineering checks and balances.

Further to previous comments about weight and operating surfaces: There are two factors at play here, PLR (pavement load rating), and ACN (Aircraft Classification Number. Every aircraft in the world has an ACN which is a measurement of the load that it places on the surface, and there are charts available for most airports showing the load that pavement will bear. There are often certain taxiways and aprons that I find myself restricted from based on these factors. While I do not know the ACN for the A380 (I'll ask next week) I would be very surprised if it exceeded that of a 747 based on the landing gear geometry. These are all factors that ops will account for when planning diversionary airports.

I can't wait to see this thing fly - MR to Toulouse perhaps??
Old Jan 20, 2005, 8:47 am

My comments were definitely armchair quarterbacking.

To be clear, I know that Airbus has done a detailed analysis of the market for the 380 and I am sure it will be viable on many routes but generally not to NA (with a few exceptions). Also, cargo will be a large market for this machine.

I just am glad that AC isn't looking at it at the moment as I don't see it fitting in with their philosphy and direction.

There is no disrespect to the 380, from a development point of view it is a fascinating aircraft and I would like to fly it but probably only once!!!

cheers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.