FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Aeroplan sucks! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/312007-aeroplan-sucks.html)

Colombo Apr 9, 2004 5:03 am

Aeroplan sucks!

horrible experience with Aeroplan
tried to redeemed 3 tickets calgarylima in july, i was flexible to leave up to 1.5 months earlier or later, nothing!!!!!! Plus I called 5 different times and got different information.
On top of that you can't hold an award reservation?
what a terrible program/airiline, def will move to a better carrier/alliance
I called AA and redeemed the 3 tickets no probl within my original dates.....

Nuitari Apr 9, 2004 5:14 am

This is taken from AC press release about their latin expansion:

Air Canada's new service to Lima will begin November 2, 2004 with flights
departing Toronto on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday, and departing Lima on
Wednesday, Friday and Sunday. Flights to Lima will be operated using 212-seat
Boeing 767-300 aircraft featuring Air Canada's acclaimed international premium
service, Executive First. With a flight time of eight hours, travellers will
save as much as two hours and 40 minutes off alternate routings.
http://makeashorterlink.com/?F23A15AF7

A quick check on travelocity also shows no *a routings.

Shareholder Apr 9, 2004 6:00 am

Rather hard to blame AC and Aeroplan for not being able to get seats on non-existent flights. Best reserve your frustration and attacks on something a bit more real. If AC, UA or Varig don't fly to Peru, you're pretty much out of luck, no?

DesertCanuck Apr 9, 2004 8:14 am

Why Get Mad... You Just Have to Get Glad Again?

Originally Posted by Colombo
I called AA and redeemed the 3 tickets no probl

This does not surprise me a bit. Of course you are going to get tickets on AA, they control the market into/out of LIM as far as N. American carriers go! Common sense would dictate that you start with AA to begin with, all things considered equal. And then you dump on Aeroplan cuz they can't get you into a market they don't offer service (yet)? Sadly, I think you would express the same frustration when you go to redeem AAdvantage miles to get from BWI to Whitehorse. ;)

Enjoy your trip and be sure to hit the slopes if you get half a chance. Incredible skiing in both Peru and Chile that time of year. Good luck.

shore9 Apr 9, 2004 12:33 pm

well you also have to realize that the 212 seat a/c is an ex - CP one, so that would mean 2 D awards per flight and then probably 8 or 9 W. But you should have been able to get it, assuming they're actually going to fly direct.

puntos68 Apr 9, 2004 6:42 pm

you may make it to peru

You have to asked them for a route from yyc to yyz gru and with varig to lim ... no other way to make it to lima with the Star Alliance

puntos68 Apr 9, 2004 6:46 pm

i just check july 09 and the yyz to gru arrives at 0930 and the varig conecction leave at 10 am ...so i do know if they will let you stay a day or two for the next flight..plus remember that if you fly with your Canadian passport you need a visa to transit Brazil unless your are a Peruvian.

Nuitari Apr 10, 2004 6:13 am

You do not need a visa if you transit the same day on the first available connecting flight. The terminals are all connected together and airport staff will be quite helpful in having you and your bags connect succesfully.

Once I had to connect between CO and AR in GRU and they do not have an interline agreement. The lady at GRU communicated the id tag of my bag and had it put on the AR flight, she then directed me to the corridor to get to the other terminal. Once through "security" (I think I annoyed them when I put my bag in the xray, they didn't bother to look at the screen) I had to get my BP at AR's gate agent desk.

You do need a visa if you are going out of the airport though.

Colombo Apr 10, 2004 11:40 am

Of course I know all that
And i know the only way was to get to GRU and connect to Varig.
There was no availabitlity whatsoiever on the GRU-LIM and most of the time not even YXE-DFW or MIA or YYZ.
People complain a lot of FF but I have hardly had difficulty getting flights around the world wiht Oneworld using AAdvantage. I've redeeemed about 20 flights all over the world with them and always got my choice....

Q Shoe Guy Apr 10, 2004 5:20 pm

There was no availabitlity whatsoiever on the GRU-LIM and most of the time not even YXE-DFW or MIA or YYZ.
People complain a lot of FF but I have hardly had difficulty getting flights around the world wiht Oneworld using AAdvantage. I've redeeemed about 20 flights all over the world with them and always got my choice....

Would being an AA Platinum have anything to do with it? :rolleyes:

B747-437B Apr 10, 2004 5:59 pm

not even YXE-DFW or MIA or YYZ

Were you trying to fly out of Calgary (YYC) or Saskatoon (YXE)? Because you seem to contradict yourself with every statement.

DesertCanuck Apr 10, 2004 7:46 pm

Well, someone buy that man a cigar!

Of course I know all that.....

I am so relieved to read that you "know all that" and on behalf of everyone in this forum, please forgive our good nature in trying to serve you up options. Evidently we did not know you were a clairvoyant or all knowing and our efforts were in vain.

Every frequent traveller has his/her own horror stories about attempts to redeem miles. Personally, I can recall several futile instances with both AA and BA, but I'll vent those elsewhere. As mentioned earlier, one would think that AA would be the logical first choice to LIM to begin with rather than any *A carrier, but then again I am sure you, of course, "know all that" and I can't even begin to guess the underlying rationale.

Again Colombo, I am truly sorry that any effort on my behalf to assist or offer advice, jest-like as it may be, has further contributed to your consternation. Be assured it will not happen again.

Andrew Yiu Apr 10, 2004 11:13 pm

No availability on GRU-LIM and AC flies that route? And that is Aeroplan's fault that RG didn't release any seat? :rolleyes:

Canadair Apr 11, 2004 8:31 am

Yikes, this guy is frightening!

But I'm sure his anecdotal reports of Aeroplan are much more comprehensive than the OAG awards, where Aeroplan only won best frequent flyer program for 2 years in a row (not that I necessarily agree with them). Interesting that last year AAadvantage didn't win, I guess cause it wasn't even nominated. :p

I can't wait to see AA's award availability after AANYC and AABOS certificates start being redeemed.

Former_Aeroplan_Employee Apr 11, 2004 9:28 am

hey colombo guy

buddy..first of all it's already april..forget about any july bookings..u must be a new member to not know this..also the flight does not even exist yet..what were u thinking?