Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Any US airlines comping status for AC elite?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2004, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Anyone know of any American airlines that are offering to comp status for AC Elites?
Thanks.
Old Feb 19, 2004, 10:33 am

Alaska had a program like that for 2003:

http://www.alaskaair.com/www2/promo/membergetmember.asp

Not sure if it's continued in 2004.
Old Feb 19, 2004, 10:57 am

Location: Toronto, AC E, UA 1K, AA Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Platinum
It isn't something that is usually published on their web-sites but, if you contact their FF program group, they will usually send you a form to fill in and send/fax back with a copy of something confirming your status. Generally speaking, the airline will comp to equivalent status with the exception of top-tier. For example, if you are an SE, you will only get Platinum with AAdvantage (AA's program).

Two things to note:
1) United will not comp status for any AC/AP member due to the *A agreement.
2) Any comp status is a "once-in-a-lifetime" deal with any given airline and you have to 'earn your stripes' to keep it the following year.
Old Feb 19, 2004, 4:12 pm

CO comped me to OnePass Gold in late April of 2003. I moved all my trans-border to them and was upgraded 30 of 33 legs thereafter including on NW.

I wrote to the following enclosing photocopies of my AP Elite (sic) card and my latest Statement:

Continental Airlines
OnePass Service Center
9999 Richmond Avenue
Suite 112
Houston, TX 77042

[This message has been edited by PunishedEdmontonian (edited Feb 19, 2004).]
Old Feb 19, 2004, 10:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
United will Comp Status to AC memebers!
Old Feb 20, 2004, 1:20 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by why fly:
United will Comp Status to AC memebers!</font>
They will? I tried this a few years ago and got the following reply:

Dear LondonElite,

My name is G**** B****** and I am writing from United Airlines' Mileage Plus dept, Dublin.

I have received your letter regarding status with Air Canada and the possibility of transferring similar status to United.

After checking via our Mileage Plus headquarters in Rapid City unfortunately we cannot honour this request. The reason behind that is your Air Canada status can be used across the Star Alliance carriers and will give you the same status as if you had an account with United.

The only airlines where status can be transferred when attached with a recent statement showing the other airline status are:

American Airlines KLM Royal Dutch Airlines
Alaskan Airlines Northwest
British Airways Qantas
Continental US Airways
Delta Japan Airlines

This policy applies to all members worldwide and I apologize if this causes any inconvenience.

Yours sincerely,

G**** B******
International coordinator
Mileage Plus European Desk, Dublin.
Old Feb 20, 2004, 7:11 am

Location: Here, There and Everywhere (but now on the Pacific)!
Programs: AC E75, MPC G and NEXUS/GE fan, Fairmont Plat, SPG Gold, National EE, Amex Plat
CO comped me Silver Elite status based on AC Prestige, which allowed me to get upgraded on about 30 out of 40 transborder flights the following year.

I subsequently qualified for gold, which saw me upgraded (for free) on 43 out of 45 transborder and intra-US flights last year.
Old Feb 20, 2004, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
I believe KLM and NW have rationalized their mileage programs, with KLM only accepting members from outside North America, NW those from North America. It will be ineteresting to see how the new SKYTEAM evolves, since NW and CO are most likely to follow KLM when it formally becomes a member following the merger deal with AF. That will put DL/CO/NW in one group, UA/US in STAR, and AA in ONEWORLD. I wonder if AS might end up in ONEWORLD too, though it has closer links with NW, so could end up in SKYTEAM.

I think these realignments are worth considering when attempting to get comp'd into another program, since the Alliance partners offer as much as the host carrier's program.
Old Feb 20, 2004, 7:28 am

Location: Toronto, AC E, UA 1K, AA Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by why fly:
United will Comp Status to AC memebers!</font>
I just tried less than a month ago, due to my disgust with the changes to the AC/AP program, and was told that it wouldn't happen due to the *A agreement.

Mentioned all the same benefits apply with *G status as it would if I was a PremEx...with the exception of upgrades on UA metal, of course...
Old Feb 20, 2004, 7:34 am

Here is a question -&gt;

If you used your AC status to comp on Continental and then used your comped status to go to MP, would they comp you?

This sounds almost as bad as the thread where someone was converting some points through the Esso Extra program to something else...

B
Old Feb 20, 2004, 7:40 am

Programs: AC, AA, SPG, Hilton
You can do the CO comp, fly a lot and then use your status to get a comp from UA. Since you have to mail the last statement in, there is no way UA will comp you based on 0 miles travelled.
Old Feb 20, 2004, 7:59 am
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
A while ago there was a discussion link with UA, # etc. to get comps.
Yes UA will give comps to *A members you just need to convince them you will be flying UA metal.
Old Feb 20, 2004, 12:48 pm

Location: Here, There and Everywhere (but now on the Pacific)!
Programs: AC E75, MPC G and NEXUS/GE fan, Fairmont Plat, SPG Gold, National EE, Amex Plat
UA does comp CO, especially if you're in a transborder market and they have a chance to steal the business.

You can get comped by faxing in as little as a copy of your CO Card (Silver/Gold/Plat), as well as a copy of a statement or screenshot of your EQM to date.

I know CO will comp to the highest tier (i.e. give you CO Plat for AC SE or UA 1K), but i'm not certain that UA will comp to the 1K level.
Old Feb 21, 2004, 8:36 am

Programs: AC SE; AA Executive Platinum; NW Platinum; SPG Platinum; InterConti Royal Ambassador
My wife (an Aeroplan Prestige) was wondering if it is possible to get comped to Northwest World Perks Silver Tier. Does Northwest comp Aeroplan Elite members? Who do we contact?

JP
Old Feb 21, 2004, 10:01 am

You could try asking that question on the NW board as the members there will likely have up to date information

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.