Wiki Posts
Search

upgrade but credit miles to UA?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2004, 8:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AC 25K, Marriott LT Platinum
upgrade but credit miles to UA?

With current Elite status, what are the chances that AC will let me use an upgrade certificate from an eligible fare but credit the miles to UA?
Old Jan 22, 2004, 8:35 pm

I think it's called a snowballs chance in hell!! UG's are based on your Aeroplan Status so miles get credited to Aeroplan.(Empress--I hope I am right on this!!)
Old Jan 22, 2004, 8:37 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

100% correct, ac777!
Old Jan 22, 2004, 9:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AC 25K, Marriott LT Platinum
Well, I figured as much. I'll just save US $750 and fly in Coach. It's AC's loss.
Old Jan 22, 2004, 10:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
YIKES so to use the SSWU you have to be claiming AP points?
Can you claim the award and at the last minute at the airport switch to mileage plus points?
Old Jan 22, 2004, 10:24 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

No you can't (unless the agent didn't catch it and enters your UA MP number for you).

Technically, if your number is not on the reservation, you are not a status member. If you're not a status member, you cannot use upgrade cert.
Old Jan 23, 2004, 4:36 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Empress:

Technically, if your number is not on the reservation, you are not a status member. If you're not a status member, you cannot use upgrade cert.
</font>
Unless you find a fellow Elite and ask him/her to upgrade you as a companion (with your UG cert).

FRAC
Old Jan 23, 2004, 5:27 am
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Howard:
With current Elite status, what are the chances that AC will let me use an upgrade certificate from an eligible fare but credit the miles to UA?</font>
Been there, seen it, done it many, many times. Check in, hand over your cert and get your new boarding pass with the AP number on it. Get to the lounge or the gate, lounge is usually best, ask them to change the FF number to MP - they will do it.

An agent in YUL once called her supervisor and asked if this was legal, it was confirmed as legal. The certs only say you have to be an Elite member to use the cert, it does not say you have to credit the miles to AP as a result. Certainly helped me start out building my M&M account.

FYI I have done it Domestic, Transborder and even Transatlantic. Enjoy

Old Jan 23, 2004, 8:31 am

Programs: AC E50K MM * DL MM * HH Diamond * Marriott Lifetime Titanium * Queen's '92
And it definitely works the other way around as well. Have many times used E-500 mile upgrades on UA and then had GA change the "earning" account from MP to AP.

Glad to hear Maple Leaf's account, as I would like to do exactly that for the first 25K this year.
Old Jan 23, 2004, 8:52 am
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
OK i will give it a try!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.